Amazon.com: Customer Reviews:
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

• Customer Reviews

on March 11, 2012
The cup and padding is almost identical to the HD555/HD595 which is considered one of the most comfortable cans being produced right now. The sound isn't anything fantastic, but you really can't beat the price. The bass is lacking, the mids are clear, and the highs are recessed. I still wouldn't give this headphones any less then a four for simply beating anything else in it's price range.
1111 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2012
I have to say simply that I agree with a lot of the comments here but there is one thing no one mentions.

These headphones are not public friendly.

So when you are in any sort of quiet area with others around:
the library studying, an airplane, the bus even, maybe in the dining room working on reports

Everyone will hear what you are listening to rather well.

I love the headphones, but I am oober disappointed that I will not be the only one listening to my music. Fellow airplane passengers will very quickly get sick of my high quality, noise blasting headphones. My girlfriend commented she could here every word of many songs even acoustic stuff, well especially acoustic stuff. Its sucks because I dont feel like I can even use them without worrying about whether or not the musical section was too loud.

The headphones sound great but they are a private endeavor not meant to be used publicly. I actually just got off the phone with Sennheiser hoping they could replace the fabric material for leather or faux leather but there is no replacement for the 419's

I'm new to over ear headphones and maybe there is something I can do to damper the noise. Otherwise, they are amazing headphones
1212 comments| 192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2012
I have had the HD 419 and made sure I broke them in before I posted a review and so far they have been good.

For the price the sound is good but don't expect jaw dropping clarity. Afterall, these aren't audiophile cans. They were designed for the average mp3 music listener who wants a step up from normal earbuds. They have a good amount of deep bass but nothing earth shattering and the mids are very warm and natural. The thing that slightly lacks is the highs. They are there but just not as much as I would have liked. With some EQ adjustments though, they produce a well rounded full sound without distortion at high volumes. They aren't a noise cancelling headset but they keep the outside noise down to a minimum even on an airplane. For reference I have listened to different quality MP3s, Pandora, Youtube, and also FLAC files through either my HTC Thunderbolt or my PC.

The quality of materials used seems to be pretty durable. It is made of mostly flexible plastic but as long as you don't step on them they feel like they can last quite a while. Although the cord is pretty thin it has so far survived daily usage to, from, and around at work. I have also went on two airplane trips and no issues yet.

What I really liked about them is the comfort. They are "over the ear" so they don't press your ears into the side of your head. I use them for hours at a time and they don't cause any unnatural head discomfort. I wear glasses as well and they barely clamp down on the frames so that is a definite plus.

Overall, the HD 419s are worth it for the price you pay. If you are looking for something with more clarity I would suggest more high end models but of course, they will cost a lot more money.
on May 30, 2013
The HD419 headphones are advertised as circumaural, meaning they are supposed to be worn around the ears, but the ear cups are so small they only fit on top of the ears. They are very uncomfortable when worn in this fashion. The HD419 do not fit a full grown adult. They appear to have been designed for children. See the photo I uploaded comparing the HD419 with the adult sized HD595.

The audio quality is quite good for this price range, especially for my intended purpose which was audio books. The bass is unnaturally boosted which is okay for audio books. The overall sound is veiled. This is not the same as muffled, which to me means the sound is coming out of a closed box.

I really like the way they look. I'd call it black on black. I don't like conspicuous branding or chrome trim. I just wish they were not so uncomfortable for me. I really wanted to like these because they look great and the sound quality is good enough -- better than average for the price.

I'd say go ahead and get these if they're for your kids or if you have unusually small ears.
review image
on November 29, 2012
So I am someone that has become an audiophile over the last few years, and have always heard about the superb quality of Sennheiser. I had some money to spend on a nice pair, so I bought a pair of the Sennheiser HD 518's (which sound amazing and I would highly recommend for in-door use as the cord is something like 25ft long). I realized I wanted to go Sennheiser again for a more portable pair, so I read all these reviews and found this pair, with a refurb option as well, which I decided to go with to save a bit of money. So pleased with the results: these things are insanely comfortable (wearing them as I write this), and the highs are so clear with some fantastic bass. The cord is definitely a little thin, but I have yet to experience a problem with this.

I feel I must mention I bought a pair of Dre Beats (Solos) a couple years back for the ridiculous pricetag of $199. These things blow the Beats out of the water - I really don't think they are on the same level. So many of us like to buy brand name items for the name itself, but I will take quality over that any day of the week. Sennheiser will definitely see more business coming my way in the future. Giving my Beats to a family member, no use for them anymore.
77 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2013
I was in the market looking for headphones for a long time and after looking at headset after headset, I had finally settled on the Sennheiser headphones here as my choice. That choice has not been in vain, as I have enjoyed using this headset in almost everything I do on the computer.

The price of these headphones, I believe, are very reasonable for what you are getting. I had picked mine up for $30 with free shipping from a third party store (Beach Camera). It was just the right price point to make me take a step up from the 20 to $25 range headphones and spend the extra money to get this pair.

Now, I will be honest in telling you that I am not an audiophile. I will not be able to tell you when the base is too low, just right, or that the highs are too high, etc. I just don't have the ear for that kind of detail in sound. However, I will tell you that the sound has been perfectly fine for me. I have just begun playing Bioshock Infinite, and hearing all the sights and sounds in that game have made me really appreciate this pair of headphones all the more. For a general yay or nay though, I think these headphones will get you by, but if you are looking for that crisp, clean sound you will probably be looking to the higher tier headphones anyway.

Comfort is a major issue for me because I have had headphones in the past that were too tight on my head and led to a squeezing effect on me. In addition, I wear glasses so headphones would even push the arms of my glasses into the sides of my head, which I'm sure you can imagine, is very painful after some amount of time. Not so with these headphones. Even with my glasses on, I am unable to even feel them after a little while being on the computer. They become periphery, unnoticed up until the point where I have to take them off. And they have the mesh padding on the ears which was a major selling point for me in the headphones I wanted. It is very soft and will fit the contour of your head around the ear (and glasses) very well, I believe.

One other sticking point for some might be the size of the actual cord that leads to the 3.5 mm jack. It is very thin, and it seems that it could break very easily. Of course, I haven't tried out its durability, but I do think you have to maintain an extra bit of mindfulness when dealing with it, so that you don't jeopardize the whole headset.

Overall, I would highly recommend these headphones. Especially at the price I had purchased them, I just don't think you can go wrong.
on August 14, 2015
excellent as a radio dj I've spent lots of dollars on headphones I must say these are top quality sound
review image
on January 3, 2014
I like to listen to hard rock and heavy metal music on Pandora/Slacker etc. while working and I was looking for a decent headphone with good bass/clear sound without having to spend a fortune. I read the good reviews on this one (Sennheiser 419) on Amazon and ordered one. And I am glad I did. I listen to bands like Metallica, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Pantera, Iron Maiden etc. and the sound of bass and drums are crystal clear with this headphone. My music listening experience has been significantly enhanced, all for the price of $37 or so. I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend this to anyone looking for a pair of headphones on a budget. If you are an elite audiophile or a high-level professional looking for a top of the line headphone go buy a $200+ headphone. For this price range, I would say this is a fantastic pair of headphone.

Some reviews complain about the thin wire. Personally, I don’t see any problem with it, unless you plan to move around a lot with this, you won't have any problem. It is thin, yes, but it delivers music pretty good. As for the reports of music leaking out, I don’t find it to be a problem at work. May be if you are listening to music at maximum volume in an airplane or in a crowded, quiet room the person sitting/lying right next to you would hear a beat here and there, but that’s not a major problem for me as I don’t play music at maximum volume which can be deafening and actually bad for your ears in the long-run regardless of the quality of the headphone.

Go buy it, at this price range, you can’t beat it! Good luck!
on February 17, 2014
Let me start out by saying I am not an audiophile. My mp3's are 320kbps quality and that's about as far as I go for sound quality. Most of the time I'm listening to myself talk into a microphone or listening to podcasts which are subject to quality issues when streaming over data.

That said, these are by far the best $40 headphones I've ever used in my lifetime. Here are my pros and cons
Pros
1. Unbelievably comfortable. The ear cups are fabric instead of the usual leather/pleather/crap that you see with other headphones in this price range. This makes all the different. They breathe so you can wear them for long periods of time and the padding is firm and comfortable. I've worn these 5 hours at a time without any pain or discomfort and that's saying something.

2. The sound is above average. Like other reviewers have mentioned, these aren't made for audiophiles but rather for mainstream music listeners. The bass is very prominent but not 100% clear. The mids and highs sound as good as you can reasonable expect in this price range. They're comparable to the Koss PortaPros but more clear and enjoyable. Some say you can't listen to classical music with these but I have a myriad of video game soundtracks that sound just fine with these.

3. They're deceptively light, which is nice.

4. They're very sleek looking.

5. The ear cups pivot about 25 degrees in either direction which helps with fit.

6. The pad on the top does a perfect job of keeping the plastic headband off of your head.

7. The noise cancellation is pretty good. I don't hear a lot with these on. Excellent for audio recording and such listening for hissing from microphones or something.

And the cons
1. The plastic seems light and breakable. I've only had these a few days but I have already added them to my mental list of "stuff I can never drop or toss around."

2. The sound could be better. It is for mainstream music and some people may not like this. It's fine for me and I enjoy the extra bass, but if you need a purer sound you may need to go elsewhere.

3. No detachable cable and the one that's on here is very short (like 3ft).

Overall, these headphones are amazing for what they cost. I really can't think of a $40 pair of headphones that sound better or are more comfortable than these. I highly recommend these to pretty much anyone except the hardcore audiophiles (you'll probably need something more expensive and higher quality).
on August 18, 2014
I bought these to replace an age-old pair of Sony MDR-CD180's... I can barely remember the day I bought them but it's upwards of 15 years ago. The plastic part that held them together finally snapped. They were so inexpensive and so great sounding.

I purchased these as my next replacement after a bit of research and review reading. I don't want to get into all the details, so I will say they are adequate, but far from a comparable replacement. They are as comfortable: the fabric on the ear cups feels almost identical. The sound from within, however, is not. I have never tried the Sennheiser brand, but have been aware of their high reputation. These headphones do a poor job with bass and midranges. The absolute worst thing about these is the cable. The wire is thinner than what you'll get with most ear buds, and just as short or shorter. I really miss having thick, flexible cables (even if they came out of both sides in my old Sony set). I've accidentally gotten yanked from catching a chair edge and the wire survived so far, but it's hard to tell how long it can hold up. Overall, it's okay for the price, but I expected more.