- Get a $10 credit toward an Amazon Music Unlimited - Individual Plan with your eligible audio device purchase! Here's how (restrictions apply)
Save Big On Open-Box & Pre-owned: Buy "Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Headpho...” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 53% off the $249.95 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Pre-owned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $5.11 shipping
Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Headphones - Black
- Premium, audiophile-grade over-ear, open back headphones
- Padded leatherette headband and luxurious velour covered ear pads perfect for long listening sessions
- Compatible with virtually every audio device including phones, tablets, computers and stereo components
- Two cable options (3 meters and 1.2 meters) included along with 3.5mm adapter plug
- 2-year limited warranty only when purchased from an authorized dealer.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
From the manufacturer
At Sennheiser, we are on the pursuit of perfect sound. This is the aim and ambition of every single person working here. The quest for perfect sound focuses us on the dreams and needs of our customers all around the globe. Through our products and our ideas, we give them a unique sound experience or help them to create pristine sound for their audiences. We have done this for 70 years, and we are not ready to stop. Because we have a vision: to shape the future of audio, based on our history, our culture of innovation and our passion for excellence.
Meet the Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition
The HD 598 Special Edition headphone combines impeccable sound quality with unrivaled comfort. Innovative acoustic engineering delivers incredibly natural, detailed and balanced sound.
A high-quality leatherette headband and velour covered ear cushions provide outstanding wearing comfort for long listening sessions.
The HD 598 offers unrivaled performance and value. Crafted with precision using premium materials, they exude luxury and quality while delivering exceptional sound quality.
- Did you know? Sennheiser invented the open back headphone design in 1968. This design, used in the HD 598 Special Edition, is industry renowned for producing exceptionally natural sound quality.
Open back design contributes to outstanding tonal balance, detail and definition.
Sennheiser engineered transducers use aluminum voice coils delivering high efficiency, excellent dynamics and extremely low distortion.
'Ergonomic Acoustic Refinement' design channels audio directly into your ears producing a more 'in room' listening experience.
Lightweight yet robust with luxurious velour covered ear cushions and padded leatherette headband.
Sennheiser recommends this headphone for music lovers who are passionate about sound quality wanting extreme comfort during long listening sessions.
Compatible with virtually every audio device including phones, tablets, computers and stereo components. Packaged with the optional 'short cable' (1.2 meter) terminated with a 3.5 millimeter plug for use with portable devices.
Compare to similar items
This item Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition Over-Ear Headphones - Black
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Item Dimensions||8.1 x 4.1 x 9.4 in||0.39 x 0.39 x 0.39 in||10 x 12.4 x 4.33 in||5 x 11 x 88 in|
|Item Weight||1.26 lbs||0.57 lb||0.57 lb||0.58 lb|
The HD 598 Special Edition headphones are an open back, over ear, audiophile grade headphone that combines exceptional sound quality with extreme wearing comfort. This premium headphone features a padded leatherette headband and luxurious velour covered ear pads perfect for long listening sessions.
Top Customer Reviews
Before I delve into the nitty gritty parts of this review let me first say that headphones are SUBJECTIVE. If you like bass heavy headphones (e.g. beats by dre) that vibrate on your head then these are not for you. Now that that's out of the way let's continue. The 598s have a higher 50 ohm impedance compared to the norm of 32 ohms so you might have trouble getting the volume you want out of certain devices. This can be easily overcome with an amplifier. I'm using an Aune T1 tube DAC/AMP combo to drive the 598s since I prefer a warmer sound.
I would say the biggest difference between the M50s and 598s is the soundstage. Now if you're unfamiliar with the term 'soundstage' all it really refers to is the headphone's ability to reproduce sound in a way that tricks your ears into perceiving the music is coming from all around you. Rather than being confined to the space in between your ears and the closed back of the M50s the 598's open back design allows sound to penetrate the back of the headphones which in turn creates a more 'open' soundstage. For me, it opened my eyes to an entirely new listening experience. These things do leak sound (which they're designed to do) so if that is something you're trying to avoid then these won't work for you.
In terms of comfort, the 598s take it by a long shot. I was never able to wear the M50s for longer than 2-3 hours before my ears started to ache. The 598s for one have velour ear pads which help a lot and they don't clamp onto your head nearly as firmly as the M50s do. I feel like I could wear these all day without even noticing they're there.
Bottom line, if you are looking to venture into open back headphones the Sennheiser HD 598s offer a value you won't get out of anything else.
1. Sound Isolation: These headphones are not at all designed to be sound isolating. They are completely open - any other sound in your listening environment will come in, and anyone else around you will be able to hear what you're listening to. That being said, they are not intended to be used on the city bus or subway, or in a library, or in your cubicle at work. These headphones are for listening to music and movies in the quiet seclusion of your home or studio. The openness is what gives these headphones the unmatched sound stage they have. No closed set can even come close, on any price range.
2. The 1/4" Plug: On the end of the HD598 comes a plug size that may not be familiar to many. This is not a set of headphones for your iPod or your laptop's headphone jack. Will it work with the included adapter? Sure. By doing so are you missing out on what these headphones have to offer? Absolutely. If you don't have one already, get yourself a headphone amp with the HD598. You need a good source to bring these headphones to life, and with one you won't have to turn the volume way up to hear the finer nuances.
3. The Bass: Sennheiser is not known for their hard hitting bass. Think of their HD5XX line like German sports cars. Some might think they're boring or soulless, but those looking for a consistent, predictable, and balanced performance get exactly what they want out of them. They are designed to give the same output levels across their entire functional range, and the HD598 leads the group. Bassheads should look elsewhere.
As one last note, there is a bit of concern about the cracking on the band that people saw with the older HD555. I can't speak for Sennheiser's official policy on the matter, but every case I've heard of owners contacting Sennheiser about theirs breaking has resulted in a free exchange. The newer ones are supposed to be tougher, and I can certainly speak for that. After several months of daily (ab)use and moving from house to house, mine look as they did when they were new. No cracks, no scuffs, no dings.
These are damn good headphones, and they're comfortable on my big head, to boot. In a few years when it's time to get something new, I'll be going to Sennheiser again.
Three year update (2014/04/15): I still use these every day, and they look, sound, and feel exactly as good as they did the day I bought them. They show zero signs of wear, despite *thousands* of hours of music, movies, and gaming. My five star review stands - these headphones are exceptional. Keep doing what you're doing, Sennheiser.