Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month Our favorite denim: shop women's jeans nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on July 14, 2014
My review is mosty "versus the Nest" because I've had three different Nests and know that one well, and I like this one better.

When my Nest died last month, I decided I was going to buy a thermostat from a company with a history of making thermostats work reliably.
I would have installed this myself, but my A/C guy who installed my system and troubleshot my Nest two years ago ... and then came back and troubleshot the replacement Nest last month said he would remove his loaner 'stat and install whatever I decided to buy.

The one feature of the Nest I knew was hooked on was the ability to change the temp from my phone. Sensi and several others do that now, so I had a few to choose from. In my research I learned that my primary complaint the Nest - that the temperature swing was too wide - was addressed by Sensi's "cycle rate" setting.

I like that the Sensi wall unit operates like a traditional thermostat. Nest's no-button design is cool, but using a thermostat is not a lecture in UX minimalism, and black-and-chrome doesn't really disappear into the background of my home (white trim and all).

The Sensi is actually an easier DIY install than Nest (screw-down terminals vs. push in notwithstanding), and the main thing I would tell other folks is: install the app on your phone first and let it walk you through the installation.

This, Sensi, is what I want in a thermostat. Convenient, reliable, programmable, understandable. I am okay with a modest premium for being Internet enabled. It's half the price of Nest and doesn't intimidate non-technical users. You can keep your auto-programming feature - I always fought with the schedule it created and with two young children we're home most of the time anyway. You can keep your monthly energy usage report - it didn't include enough detail to be useful anyway. And you can keep the space-odyssey design - it might be alright in the stainless-and-black kitchen, or media room, but it doesn't work upstairs.

Granted, we didn't also install a second Nest to have more temperature sensors, and we didn't buy their $200 talking smoke detectors which also report environmental statistics back to the thermostat. But I've got what I need from my thermostat now.

P.S. It took the last Nest two years to go kaput, but I'll update here if that happens to my Sensi.

Update: After about a month I'm still very happy with Sensi. Most people won't care about this but being a network security engineer, I'm impressed that the thermostat has exactly 0 open TCP ports, outbound communication is with one IP, and total traffic is very modest. Nest communicated with a whole bunch of different IPs and was much more "noisy" on the network. Good work, Sensi dev team.
2929 comments| 1,775 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 3, 2016
Love the remote thermostat. App is simple to use and easy to access.

Step by step instructions in the app were great. Easy for a first timer as well as a diy'er. The app even has you take a picture of the old thermostat wiring before you remove anything, very smart. I had it swapped out and running in 30 minutes, however there was a problem. I have a water source heat pump and the old thermostat did not have a C wire. The sensi thermostat does not require a C wire, however my compressor was short cycling, it would run for 30 seconds or so and then kick off while the fan was still running, because the set point was not reached. After 2 to 3 minutes the compressor would come on again for another 30 seconds and the kick off. I called the help line and received very good help. The technician asked me to email the picture of the old thermostat wiring and a picture of the new wiring. After several minutes the technician determined that with my unit (McQuay) was not supplying enough power to run the wifi radio on the sinsi without a C wire. While trying to come up with a solution, i decided to see if I actually had a C wire available that was not used by the old thermostat. As with most installations, the unused thermostat wires were wrapped up behind the thermostat, Including the blue wire which is most often used as the C wire. With the power off I opened the area on the heat pump where the thermostat wires were connected and the other end of the extra wires were there, including the blue wire. The thermostat wire connections on the heat pump had a C terminal that had nothing attached. I connected the blue wire to the C terminal on the heat pump and the C terminal in the sinsi thermostat, and the problem was resolved.

I did not buy the optional back cover plate, but should have, and now have it ordered. If you have not have a small hole for the wires, then the thermostat will cover it, however I have a single gang (switch) box mounted vertically and the thermostat will not cover the hole. The back plate will correct that.

Thermostat has now been the service for several days and have had no other issues.

The entire reason to get the Wi-Fi enabled thermostat was to be able to check and adjust the thermostat when not present. The Sensi is off-line at least 50% of the time. When I check it with the app, it will say the thermostat is off-line. If I check again in a few minutes, it may (or may not) be back on line. It may not be back on-line for a da or more. When it is on line I feel that I have to quickly make any adjustments before it goes back off-line. The issue is not the home Wi-Fi, but with the Emerson server. This if totally useless as a Wi-Fi thermostat and I am replacing it with a Honeywell Wi-Fi. If I could return it I would. As a non Wi-Fi thermostat it works fine, but I could have saved $50 for a non Wi-Fi model, but I wanted the Wi-Fi function.
1111 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 3, 2015
UPDATE: 3/22/2017:
I just noticed that Keypad Lockout is now an option on the app, so if you have kids or roommates that you need to prevent from messing with the air, you will be happy about this option! (Original review below).
UPDATE: 3/4/2016:
Now works with Amazon Echo! So you can control your thermostat with your voice by speaking to your Echo device! Very glad to see this addition. However, still lacking more features for the app (see original review below).
I had been wanting to get a WiFi Thermostat for a long time now, but I held off because I was worried that I would buy one that wouldn't be compatible with my home or that I wouldn't be able to figure out how to install it. I finally gave in and purchased this Sensi thermostat, and I am extremely happy with the purchase.

Set up could not have been easier. The app walks you through the installation. You select the wires that your current thermostat has, and then the app tells you what to label them and where they will go in the new thermostat. I had never replaced a thermostat before, and it took me under 30 minutes (which includes unboxing, looking for screwdriver, looking for AC unit shut off switch, watching how-to videos included with the app, etc).

The actual operation is simple and efficient. Within minutes, I was able to set up a generic schedule based on when we are usually home. I love being able to change the home's temperature from my bed, office, or anywhere in the world with an Internet connect. The first few days I played with it a lot, but now that I have tweaked the preset schedule, I don't even have to worry about it anymore. If I am out or home at unusual times, you just adjust the temperature manually, and it will temporarily suspend the preset schedule.

The thermostat looks nice, aesthetically, on the wall, and since I apparently had this magical "common wire" I have the option to keep the LED light on at all times, which acts as a night light in the dark, and makes it look even better.

The app is handy because it also tells you your local Hi and Low temps from the forecast as well as the humidity in your home, upcoming schedule, set temp, actual temp, and the background is either blue, red, or grey depending on if your system is on Cool, Heat, or off at the moment. There are also more advanced options that I do not yet understand.

The only thing this is missing is a few more advanced options for the app, such as specific alerts (like if the temperature is changed manually, I would like to be able to get an instant alert on my phone) and an air filter change reminder that can be set for a certain amount of time (like 1, 2, or 3 months). I think it does alert you if your house reaches an extreme temperature, but I have not had that happen yet. Also, I have not been able to figure out how to switch between "Cool" and "Heat" modes within a schedule (without using the "Auto" setting).

I also purchased and installed the wall plate: Emerson F61-2663 Wallplate for Sensi Wi-Fi Thermostat, White, White (was approximately an extra $10). I think it should have been included, but I imagine not everyone wants one. It isn't much bigger than the thermostat, but I think it makes it look nice. I included some photos so you can see for yourself.

Feel free to ask me any questions in the comments and I will do my best to answer them.
review imagereview imagereview image
1616 comments| 323 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 29, 2016
I bought this item because I live in the mountains and I am away a week at a time, wanted to turn up temp on my return 2hrs prior, every time the thermostat was offline, does not work, to get it back online you must remove the batteries and reconnect, can't do this when your 100 miles away
11 comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 31, 2016
Spent much of my first afternoon trying to get the App to connect, constant "Connecting to Thermostat" error messages. I installed two of these this morning, one controls the main hvac for the main level & basement while the other controls the upstairs unit. At different times I could connect to the main unit but not upstairs, sometimes I could connect upstairs but not to the main unit, sometimes (rarely) I could connect to both units as intended, but mostly I was just waiting while a "Connecting to Thermostat" error message began to become infuriating. Note that the whole time I was streaming Pandora on my Echo sitting 5 feet from the main thermostat location, and the upstairs unit is only 20 feet or so from the wifi router.

As a network engineer with 15+ years experience working for web hosting companies I have a feeling that they have a serious capacity issue with the cloud service they're using to support the product. They don't make any money off the cloud portion of the service, and once you've purchased the hardware they've gotten all the money they're going to get from you, so there's really no incentive for them to put a lot of resources into the cloud service... until they get enough bad reviews that people stop buying the hardware, that is. Anyway, I eventually got everything working, it just took a whole lot longer than it should have due to the cloud service's inability to connect to the thermostats. It turned what should have been a "really cool, wow" type experience into a fairly frustrating afternoon. I was considering purchasing one for my folks, but no way am I installing this headache in my parents house - just cannot recommend, it's not ready for prime time.
11 comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 13, 2017
My three notes to potential buyers:
- I bought this April 9th 2016 for $105. Since then this has gotten a lot of positive reviews and they have upped the price to $128. I feel like that is a lot extra to ask a year later when nothing else has changed.
- This worked great in a new apartment (with C wire) for about 8 months. Then I moved to a slightly older place (without C wire) and it mostly worked, but wouldn’t turn on the air conditioning compressor! I installed a wall plug C wire and now it works. Sensi insists it works without a C wire, but after 90 mins on the phone with them and about 4 hours of my own time that proved to be false, at least in my situation. With that external adapter/wire, it is now working again (see below for what I used).
- The backplate that 95% of users will require so that the installation doesn’t have that "hastily modified crack-den" look is NOT included and costs $8. Come on, this should be included and feels borderline deceptive.

I would like to give their support line the shout-out it deserves. Although their hold was about 25 minutes when I did reach a person they were knowledgeable, helpful, and patient with me. When we couldn’t resolve my issue they sent me a new unit at no cost. As it turns out, my old unit was fine (the new one functioned identically), it just needed the C wire they insisted it didn’t. They did good troubleshooting with me, and I don’t blame them for not figuring out what was going on, since I still don’t know myself.

What I am deducting stars for is that without the C wire the unit would say “cooling” but just blow hot air around. With the C wire everything worked perfectly. I used the “LockState Connect LS-24VAC” adapter and also have a review on that product with installation notes. This means that what was originally a $105 easy purchase is now a $164 project (Thermostat+Cwire+backplate). I still like the Sensi, but I feel like people should know what they are getting into.

Other than that this product is amazing. The IOS app is stable and intuitive, the installation instructions are spectacularly explained by the app walk through, and the temperature is accurate and well controlled. I think the whole “Nest learning thermostat” is bogus and this is a great alternative. I don’t want my thermostat making guesses because it thinks it is smarter than I am. I want a simple unit that is easily controlled and does what I tell it to do without using a proximity sensor to see if I’m home. I really do like this thermostat and think it is the best I’ve come across. If it were back closer to $100 (including backplate) and they were more honest about the C wire issue then it would be an easy 5 stars.
review image
on February 24, 2017
Thermostat worked for months until I upgraded our router and internet service. After the new service was installed the thermostat has all kinds of connection issues and connects and disconnects randomly. I emailed the tech department and they blame the router. Which is an xfinity/commcast router thats in 80% of the businesses in my area. They gave me a list of tech crap to try that would likey fly the space ship and way above my tech grade. So I will throw this POS in the trash and buy a honeywell. Judging by the random auto resets and strange connecting issues when I switched the thermostat to the new internet system. It seems that the thermostat is having some kind of issue between the old and new internet switch.
on December 14, 2017
UPDATE:Their customer service followed up with me, sent me a brand new unit, and it's working (at the moment) wonderfully with Alexa & Wink HUB. If it keeps working in the months to come, I'll bump up the stars to 5. Moving it now from 1 to 3. VERY impressed with their customer service :)

PRIOR: I simply quote another reviewers here (and have seen many experiencing the same issue): “The Sensi is off-line at least 50% of the time. When I check it with the app, it will say the thermostat is off-line. If I check again in a few minutes, it may (or may not) be back on line. It may not be back on-line for a da or more. When it is on line I feel that I have to quickly make any adjustments before it goes back off-line. The issue is not the home Wi-Fi, but with the Emerson server. This if totally useless as a Wi-Fi thermostat and I am replacing it with a Honeywell Wi-Fi. If I could return it I would.“ I’m super tech savvy and I’m 100% certain it’s a Sensi issue. No problem for about 6 months, then it’s been hoping online off and on for months.
22 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 12, 2017
First off, my hesitation about buying this thermostat was because of reviewer's claims that this thermostat couldn't be connect to Google Home. But the price was right and my local electric and gas company was offering a rebate for wifi thermostats, so I jumped on the deal. Whether this was a recent development or not, I stumbled upon the directions on how to connect this thermostat to Google Home on the Sensi support page.

Here is the step-to-step guide to connecting your Sensi thermostat to your Google Home:

So here is my start to finish review of the Sensi thermostat.

Installation: Easy, if you have already have a C-wire, or don't mind that you can't run the house fan separately. Moderate, if you don't have a C-wire and want the option to run the house fan separately but have unused wires behind your thermostat.
I am a stay-at-home mom of toddlers and a novice DIYer. After watching a few Youtube videos on how to install the Sensi thermostat and connecting a C-wire, I felt confident enough to install it myself, and not tell my husband I just spent $100 on a thermostat because I wanted to take advantage of a $125 credit rebate from the electric company and because I was tired of (too lazy) walking downstairs to change the thermostat in the middle of the night. Our old thermostat ran on batteries and had the option to run the house fan without forced air, so I needed a C-wire. Luckily, there were unused wires already in my system, so I just needed to connect them at the HVAC. I want the option to run the house fan because we cook a lot and need to run the fan to air it out. TIP: if you have a jumper from Rc and R

Connectivity Setup: Easy
The setup was step by step with their app. I did it on my mobile phone. The step that wasn't so clear was connecting to the thermostat wifi. During the wifi setup, you first have to connect to the wifi signal from the Sensi thermostat. So make sure you are selecting and connecting to "Sensi...... ", not your home internet wifi. They will ask you to connect to your home wifi on the next step to link your thermostat. I have to say that I have had a few issues with the thermostat going offline but I believe it is my router's fault, not the thermostat. I just rebooted my modem and router, and took out the batteries from the back of the thermostat for a couple of minutes, and turned them all back on, and it went back online.

Customer Service: Good.
You can write them an email and they will get back to you in 1-2 days. I would give them a better score if it was instantaneous via chat. But they are very thorough in answering your questions and concerns and are very knowledgeable.

App: Great.
Easy to use. Very user friendly. Can control more than one Sensi thermostat separately with app. You can name your thermostat anything you want.

Thermostat Panel: Easy
Easy to use. Very user friendly for everyday use. I didn't play with the "Menu" button. There are other functions there that aren't intuitive. I might have been explained in the user manual but I didn't bother. I can't imagine that there is a function I need that I can't do straight from my phone.

Hope this helps! (I was not paid for this review.)
on June 17, 2017
I have had this thermostat for 6 months I have had to reset it at least 50 times I've had to reconnect to my network at least 50 times I've had nothing but problems keeping this thing online. I've tried contacting the company and their customer support horrible they keep sending me the same instructions on how to reconnect my thermostat to the internet I tried it 100 times and I have better things to do then to keep having to reconnect this thing so I can change the settings. I'm thoroughly disgusted with my purchase and as far as I'm concerned this product is garbage