Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Camila Cabello All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on May 26, 2013
Sensodyne Repair and Protect is one of the only toothpastes to include an unique ingredient called Novamin. Novamin is one of the biggest breakthroughs in dental health since the introduction of fluoride. This ingredient contains the molecules found naturally in human saliva which combine to rebuild and repair enamel. Novamin is simply a combination of silica, calcium, phosphorus, and sodium, but combined in a way so that they won't react until exposed to water/saliva during brushing.

Toothpastes that just contain fluoride simply remove plaque through mechanical brushing, then deposit fluoride on the tooth's surface. After brushing, the saliva will then mix with the fluoride and create a stronger barrier against acid's compared to the barrier which would have formed from saliva alone which is more vulnerable to acids from the foods we eat and the byproducts of bacteria.

The whole point of this toothpaste is to combine the fluoride and important reparative ingredients found in saliva into one, that way this reparative process can start to take place immediately, and even people with dry mouth syndrome or other tooth disorders can benefit. On top of this it also is one of the best defences against teeth sensitivity as it seals exposed dentin. Novamin can also help whiten teeth over time.

For the past few years this toothpaste has been available in Europe, however with the US release, they have completely omitted this new novamin technology! This toothpaste is like all the others. It is just a fluoride toothpaste, which is still good, but definitely not worth the high price. The Canadian version of this toothpaste like the EU version has the novamin tech, but sadly the US version does not.

Also, the type of fluoride that is included in this toothpaste (Stannous Fluoride) may cause stains to form. If you just want a stannous fluoride toothpaste it is available in crest pro health and is much cheaper.
3535 comments| 293 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 29, 2014
An update on this product which I have now been using for almost a month. It is missing Novamin but has definitely helped with the sensitivity in my one tooth, maybe even more so than the UK version. It is slightly stickier so if you brush without adding water, the toothpaste clings to the sensitive area more easily and is in my opinion more effective. I also find it easier to rub a bit of the US version onto the sensitive tooth and it stays there for a while. Unless you have sever dry mouth, you do not need to add water to toothpaste as it just dilutes it. This product does not deserve the bad reviews - I wonder whether some reviewers even tried it or just gave it bad reviews because it does not contain Novamin. I will continue to use it and now have to think twice about buying the UK version next month. - Older review: I previously bought mine in the UK, love it for sensitivity but have run out so searched and saw some bad reviews so did some research. It turns out that the FDA would not approve the use of the most important ingredients Novamin so I will keep buying it in the UK. I guess that it why some people are not finding it as effective as it should be. See article below. I do think Sensodyne works very well so this product will probably help but just a pity it will not work as well as the UK version. I purchased a tube so see me through until I go to the UK and to compare. If you have a particularly sensitive spot, apply some toothpaste to the root area, leave it there and do not drink or eat anything for as long as possible. It will definitely help with more severe sensitivity.

TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 30, 2015
I was a big fan of Sensodyne for years, until I stopped using it for a week and would get tooth pain until switching back. I came to realize that the Sensodyne wasn't reducing sensitivity or repairing my enamel, but simply numbing my nerves so I didn't feel the sensitivity. It still contains glycerin to coat your teeth, which will prevent remineralization of your enamel. It still contains fluoride to mimic enamel remineralization, but with a spongy filling that doesn't provide the foundation needed for healthy and strong teeth.

All in all, I realized what I thought was a great product was simply hiding the problem, not treating it. I switched to brushing with coconut oil and baking soda for a natural remineralization, and also use this toothpaste for on the go. Squigle Tooth Builder Sensitive Toothpaste (4 oz)
on August 23, 2016
After three months of trying to figure out what was causing severe dry mouth, sores and irritation in my mouth, I finally realized it was this crap. Stay away.
on July 18, 2014
This is my favorite Sensodyne toothpaste. I tried some of their other flavors and couldn't stand the taste, but this one has good flavor and does a great job with sensitivity! If I use another toothpaste even for just a couple days, my teeth start to hurt again when I drink cold beverages. This brings my teeth sensitivity down to practically nothing. It may be more expensive than regular toothpaste, but it is worth every cent. I tried other brands of sensitive toothpaste too, and none of them worked like Sensodyne does. They are the only brand for people with heat/cold sensitive teeth.
on December 27, 2014
I would not be able to eat a spoonful of ice cream, a cold salad or even pass air over my teeth without Sensodyne toothpaste. This stuff is amazing. If you try anything else but Sensodyne toothpaste, thinking it will take away the pain in your tooth, think again. Don't be fooled. I've tried them all. The only product that works is Sensodyne. Give it a week of using it many times...it's effect is cumulative. Once the product accumulates in the painful places the pain will reduce significantly to absolutely bearable to being gone altogether.

Twice I made the HUGE mistakes of trying a different product when on both occassions, all of a sudden after the Sensodne wore off in my teeth a few days to a week later, the pain in my teeth was so unbearable that I was actually seeing sparkly stars. I felt I would need to get all of my teeth pulled out to make the pain go away the last time. It was that awful. I should have learned the first time that nothing but Sensodyne works. But I did not listen to myself. Regretfully, I was curious. I wish I had not been, but I was.

I immediately bought more Sensodyne and a new very soft brush and began brushing my teeth several times a day and even rubbing Sensodyne onto my teeth and just letting it be there for a while before rinsing it out. In a few days the pain was relieved enough to not feel panicky about it. By the end of the week the pain was gone and I could eat normally again.

I will NEVER jump ship and use another so-called pain relief toothpaste again. The only one that actually works GREAT is Sensodyne.
on August 27, 2017
My only and favorite toothpaste. I do not use anything other than Sensodyne. It is easy on my teeth and gums and the taste should you accidentally swallow is not horrible. This toothpaste is pricey however one tube lasts me 3-4 months and I brush twice a day.
on October 1, 2016
Brushing with this paste felt like my teeth were burning with sensitivity! And I've been using other Sensodyne flavors for years. I switched back to a different one and my teeth are fine. This is not great for truly sensitive teeth!
on August 12, 2017
Sensodyne is a toothpaste I have used for years. But for some reason this batch seemed old or something. The paste was separated, so when you first open it you get all liquid. On the next tube I tried shaking vigorously but results were the same.
on August 25, 2016
I did not like this product, the more I used it the more irritated all of my teeth became. Towards the end of my use with it I developed a slight burning sensation while brushing. I have thrown the product away after two weeks of use.