Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 86 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 117 reviews
on September 20, 2013
Like many others on here, the hinges on my safe fell apart after a few years. Actually, they're not hinges per se but plastic knobs that snap into recessed holes on the main case. I opened the case one day and these knobs just fell apart, the plastic mangled and the filling material falling all over the place. This is a case that got opened maybe once a month. Very disappointing.

UPDATE: Apparently Sentry's standard answer on this is that the customer must be flipping the lid back and cracking the hinge over time. I can state unequivocally that I *never* did this. And it was only opened about once a month.

UPDATE 2: I posted a photo of the disintegrated hinges when I did this review. I see now that Amazon has removed that photo and no longer allows uploads of user images. Very disappointed in Amazon over this.

UPDATE 3: I see the photo is now back.
review image
on March 8, 2017
I think this is a great safe to have. It is sturdy and holds everything that I need in it. The only reason that I gave it 4 stars is that when opening it up it gets stuck sometimes and was in a panic at first when I tried opening it for the first time. Just press down and then up and it will open eventually. Other than that it fits perfectly under my bed and don't worry about it at all.
on May 24, 2016
This safe was great my first couple of months. I didn't like the fact that you had to grip a lever to open it, but it was fine. Get in it about once a week. Suddenly today my keys are not working. Almost like something got loose in there. The safe has never been moved since I got it.
**Edited a week later** Since I couldn't return this since I had it 4 months and apparently the return period is like 3 months, I looked at the lock closely. There was something green that had slid down in there, we had to take a knife to it and move that. Something from inside the lock mechanism I suppose had come loose. After we moved it, the keys would work. Still locks and unlocks, but still leaving my rating for the inconvenience and any warranty would for sure be voided now since its apparent we had to mess with the lock. I'll be looking for another one now as I'm not sure I can trust this one any more.
on July 31, 2016
I was looking for a fire resistant safe in order to store some important papers and documents (birth certificates, insurance papers, etc) for safe keeping in the event of a fire. This safe is sized for standard 8.5 x 11 paper, so most items will fit easily without folding. If weight is any indication this will be a good unit; it is heavy for its size! My concern is whether the locking mechanism and/or hinge will survive a fire and let me access my papers. They appear to be made from a different material than the box itself, and appear to be of a plastic nature, though of a heavy grade. Hopefully, I will not have to find out the hard way. Pleased with the overall construction of the item. Sentry has been in the protection industry for a long time, so I am hoping that any fears I have about performance will prove to be unfounded.
on January 20, 2016
My safe has a big gap between the bottom and top when locked, big enough to slide a piece of paper into it. When I complained to SentrySafe about this they responded that this was normal, and that the safe is only waterproof after it has been in a fire and has partially melted. So as it is this safe is not waterproof, and the content is vulnerable to flooding, humidity, insects, mildew, molds, etc. Not recommended!
on July 9, 2013
I received the item about a week ago and had issues with the locking. I wouldn't open at times and wouldn't close all the way. The opening mechanism was terrible. You have to struggle with it- playing with the key to get it to open and close. Very frustrating. The safe I received was defective. I love Amazon.com and make tons of purchases. Amazon needs to cancel their sales contract with SentrySafe on the sale of this product. This was my first bad experience with one of the products up for sale on Amazon. If people stop purchasing this item, maybe Amazon will stop selling it. I am returning the item. I will still continue to purchase from Amazon because I love them. I just got a defect product which I am sure was SentrySafe's issue.
on August 13, 2012
This chest is just large enough to hold important documents, up to 9" x 12", and easily holds other smaller items such as passports, jewelry, etc. It seems to be watertight, and is reported to also be fire resistant (hope I don't ever have to test it). Comments about an earlier version criticized the hinge, but the current hinge seems to be reasonably strong. It is surprisingly heavy, and some sort of handle would be nice, but is not critical. Opening the latch takes a little getting used to, but just follow the instructions. It is bulky, but does just barely fit inside my lockable legal size filing cabinet. At this price I consider it very cheap insurance for valuable and important items.
on January 3, 2017
My time with the safe has been rather lackluster. I purchased it back in 2012 and have opened it about 5 times a year. Just enough for important documents and what not. The key has always struggled to unlock or lock the box. The top handle comes out and is no longer secure. I don't even use it much, so the fact that the sturdiness has given out has me concerned. My only hope is that it will survive a fire should there ever be one.
on July 14, 2010
I bought this safe on the advice of an attorney who told me that the banks are required to seal safe deposit boxes on learning of the death of any of the renters. I found out later, Florida does not require that to happen. In any case, I have the box. I don't lock it because I am more concerned with fire or flooding. I am fairly certain that it will do its job in the event of either of those disasters. I don't plan to test it. I have followed the instructions and placed all valuable papers into sealed plastic envelopes to protect them from condensation and mold. (Gallon sized baggies are ideal.) The only reason I didn't give this product 5 stars is that I don't know for sure that it will protect my document from fire or flood. As usual, I was very happy with the promptness of delivery from Amazon. I have bought many different types of products from Amazon and its partner companies and have never had a problem.
on December 9, 2013
This is the fourth SentrySafe F2300 Safe that I've purchased. I really hesitated buying this again because it got so many negative reviews on Amazon. I thought that maybe the quality of the safes had deteriorated since my first purchases several years ago. However, I have not found this to be the case. Mine serve the purpose quite well, and I've had no problem whatsoever. I buy this size because I can't lift the heavier, larger safes. I would recommend this safe. If you have a problem, Amazon's return policy is excellent.