Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SentrySafe H2300 0.36 Cubic Foot Fire-Safe Waterproof Chest, Silver Gray
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on January 9, 2010
This safe feels very durable. I didn't have any problem opening and closing it. I think the problem that other people had with opening it is because they didn't push down on the lid when they pull the latch. That is how you are supposed to do it, and it opens quite easily if you do that. That type of opening mechanism keeps my toddler out, too!

The lock seems kind of pointless. I don't think it would deter a thief, but I don't care about that - I just want the fire-resistant and waterproof features.

I was surprised how large it is when I received it. It perfectly holds 8.5 x 11 papers in it, but on the outside it is rather big. I don't mind the size, but other people might. Despite its size, it isn't too heavy, but it is heavy enough to keep my toddler from moving it around and playing with it.

Overall, it is a great product.
44 comments| 189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 14, 2009
I needed a fireproof safe to store important documents in. The H2300 fits the bill perfectly. It will hold A4 and Letter sized documents, and a good amount of it, too.
The only grief I have with it, is that it does not have a handle to carry it around. Maybe, because of its relatively high weight, it is not meant to be carried around, but I sure would like to have that opportunity anyway ...
Other than that, it's craftsmanship is acceptable and I expect a long use out of it.
55 comments| 234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2010
I'm so glad I got this safe. It has plenty of space for household needs. I'm just out of college but it is nice to have a safe haven from fire and water for important things (papers, passport, titles, jewelry, or whatever you have of value). The compartment inside is perfect to hold a full size letter, unfolded flat on the bottom inside a plastic cover. It's surprising how much can fit in .36 cubic feet. I have lots of space left!

A few things that should be mentioned
-Some complain about the seal and that you have to push down to lock it. My safe had a paper tab hanging on the safe that instructed specifically to push down to engage the lock to create the water/fireproof seal.
-It's a safe that is protected from fire and water, not burglary rated. Unless you create a metal bracket around it and bolt it to the floor, it can be stolen. But that is not what you buy this for. You get this to keep your things safe from a fire or flood.
-Due to the mobility of the safe. I don't recommend locking up a firearm either. (There's a warning label inside against this as well). Only a matter of time elsewhere until a thief gets it open.

The lock and awkward shape (no handle, just some grip points) makes things just less easy to steal. Find a place you like and just leave it there. The barrel lock gives me a little more security after seeing youtube videos of other safes with a standard key being broken into with a coin or a quick rap to the mechanism with a hammer. Feels sturdy when it's locked down.

While researching these safes, I thought it's interesting that after a fire, the material melts around the compartment to seal in your contents and you usually have to pry it all apart after the fire department does their job.
0Comment| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 5, 2011
Update: 8/31/1015: Very happy, still. Does what's expected, opens & closes without difficulty.

Do I write a review after having bought, received, filled, closed, opened, closed again, opened, closed.....I've no doubt you get the idea. I've found the price of this "SentrySafe H2300" to be very reasonable. Delivery of the safe was quick and I registered it immediately. The directions, which are included with the "SentrySafe", specifically state to open one must press down on the topside and press the latch mechanism. I did so repeatedly and I'm happy to report I, at least, didn't encounter any problems. And relatively little force was required to perform the simple maneuver. The unit came with two keys but not with a handle which, frankly, I didn't expect as the photo clearly indicates there is none. Darn thing weighs a ton as it is so why make life more difficult. The device is now filled with my meager valuables and external hard drives and sitting in the back of a closet not bothering anyone. Just as it should be. I've only had the product for a short while and, thankfully, haven't had any fire or flooding. I think of the unit as insurance, only considerably less expensive. I write a lot of reviews at Amazon.com and in the event of a problem with this unit I will certainly amend this review. However, for the time being, the "SentrySafe H2300" is just as I expected it to be, and it seems to function as promised. This company hires 440 local workers in Rochester N.Y. I think that's also important.
44 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2012
I just got this. It's definitely big enough for the essentials, small enough not to take up a ton of space. Easily fit under my bed.

As everyone else has said, the latching/locking mechanism is cantankerous. I'm glad it won't open easily in a fire - say if the floor collapses and it falls. But I was concerned it might be hard to remember how to open it in an emergency. So I wrote the following instructions on the safe:

To UNLOCK/LOCK:
- Push down on the front top of the lid
- Turn the key (up = locked)

To OPEN:
- Push down hard on the middle of the lid
- Release red latch

Pushing down at the right spot at the right time does make it all work much better, but it's not obvious, and if you only open the safe occasionally, you will probably forget how unless you leave yourself clear instructions.
99 comments| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2016
I purchased this safe expressly because, according to the product description, it "holds letter and A4 size paper flat." I received the safe (which did come with a handle and straps, for those who were asking about this -- I ordered it in late January 2016) and to my great dismay, it very much does NOT hold letter size paper flat. Please see accompanying photo, which pictures how both sides of the letter size paper have to curl up on the sides to fit inside the safe. I am very annoyed I have to go through the hassle of returning this item due to a blatantly untrue description. If you are looking for a safe that can hold your letter size documents, this is NOT the safe for you!
review image
on November 10, 2009
This safe is great for fire and water protection in the home. This is not a safe for anti theft.
Almost did not buy beacuse of other reviews.
. It spends its life sitting on a 3 drawer file so weight and no handle is not an issue.
. It opens just fine. No knee or knife required as others have said.
I am going to buy two more as gifts.
44 comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2012
I tried calling the company for help a couple of times; nothing they suggested worked. Apparently the water seal cements the safe shut -- just the moisture from the air does it. One person said that I was supposed to open the safe every so often to prevent this. Well, they didn't provide any such instructions; anyway who wants to store their valuables in such a temperamental contraption? Fortunately on the advice of one reviewer I took a hammer to it and finally got it open -- whew!
55 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2015
The cover is disintegrating along one side of the hinge and it does not fully close. Clear pictures have been provided to the manufacturer showing both a larger gap between the cover and container along this side, and a dusty substance at the hinge pivot, but they insist that nothing is wrong. I recommend finding another product.
review image
on July 3, 2011
I did a lot of research before purchasing this safe. I wanted something portable, yet large enough to hold my documents and thumb drives. It was also important to me that the safe not only be fire proof but also waterproof because I've had water damage at my house in the past.

This item is a good size to hold a handful of files, passports and thumb drives for a typical family. You can put in standard 8x11 papers without needing to fold - major plus.

While it is heavy, it is manageable to move about for me, but my wife does have problems if by herself. I've read that some reviews complained that there was no handle and that this made it difficult to carry. This is a good safety feature. I for one do not want my safe to have a handle - having no handle makes it more difficult to steal, conceal or remove from a premise.

The locking mechanism is not intuitive and can be difficult if it is not explained to you properly. While it can be frustrating at first, it is designed this way purposely so it is not easily opened by those that are not familiar with the mechanism. Again, I like this feature from a safety standpoint. I will say that despite knowing how this feature works, I too have difficulty opening the safe at times - but I can usually get it open with no problems.

Should you experience a disaster and your safe is damaged, the company will give you a new one - no charge.

I will highly recommend this product to anyone interested in a safe for the home.