Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Serenity [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on May 14, 2017
Firefly is a great movie. I really enjoyed it. If you like science fiction and westerns, then you will like this. There is something very charming and unique about the Serenity crew. Moreover, the insane situations that the Serenity crew always seem to find themselves in is equally matched by their comic relief or fly-by-the-seat-of-your -pants schemes. I love them all , but Shepard Book, Wash and Zoe are my favorite! Awesome!
on October 16, 2017
Funny enough, i saw the movie before i saw the show. I loved the movie and had no idea it was a tv show beforehand. It was just something on like hbo or something. It was a couple of yrs later that i found out about the show. Now seeing both something's make a little more sense. Though, they did do an amzing job at making the movie a standalone. If u like cowboys or space or both- this is amazing. If u don't and just like a good story that's funny and has some love- this works for u too. It's an all around type of movie. Great actors, great characters, good humor, good love. Though, i will say the loss of wash hurts more after seeing the series as well but, this movie is amazing and i truly hope someday we'll get the show or another movie again.
on November 2, 2013
Cut down in its prime, "Firefly" was one of the best sci fi shows on the air. This movie wraps up a lot of loose ends as well as moves things forward.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND WATCHING THE SHOW BEFORE THE MOVIE.

You don't NEED to, but it makes it better. It is, however, a good, fun space western that stands on its own with the sparkling dialogue you have come to expect from Whedon, and the solid performances you have come to expect from the crew.

If I had a nitpic, other than 2 hours is not a great substitute for several more seasons of the show, it's that the effects, though better than the Show, are not a lot better. But, they still work.
on March 13, 2013
If you haven't seen the late, lamented Firefly series, watch it first before you watch Serenity.

That said, Serenity is a satisfactory conclusion to a tragically short series. It doesn't tie up all lose ends, but it does address quite a few while sticking with the winning combination of character-driven storylines, memorable characters and dialog, Western gritty ruggedness, space opera grandeur and gorgeous visuals that won over so many "Browncoats" (Firefly fans).
on April 7, 2015
Well, the most recent review I see is dated 2005. My son turned me on to the series and the movie, all of which I watched this past week. LOL
I've been a Trek fan, a Star Wars fan, Lord of the Rings and so and so on . . . The series was fantastic as I was able to watch it in its proper order. I loved the way the characters were developed and how the captain was always true to what he believed in. Just trying to survive on the edge of the galaxies and being loyal and true no matter what the cost might be. The series had its share of comedy which made for an entertaining and exciting program. Not too much CG, just enough to enhance the show. Pure entertainment with a political message mixed in, one we should all be aware of. Be true to yourself and loyal to your family, whatever family that might be. This series would still fly today and I think it would do well because it's not just the normal bang, bang, shoot em up that most adventure series are. The human element will always be interesting no matter how much the world tries to de-humanize us. We were designed that that should be so. I found it interesting that Josh would explore Christianity in a series such as this, but he did and he showed all sides and it worked. As I would hope, most people embraced God in this futuristic escapade. Some didn't and that wasn't the focal point. Sci-fi tends to push God away, but the writers made a place for love and feelings and anger and loyalty, all of the things we are.
Great show and movie, great writing. Glad I was able to see it.
on July 16, 2016
It's hard to believe that the Firefly TV series was cancelled after its first season. It was far and away the best Sci-Fi series in recent time, and it had a number of interesting characters and story lines to follow up. At least the movie Serenity gave closure to some of the material, and it provided a remarkably faithful sequel and (unfortunately) end to the series. I was very impressed with the way that the screenplay writers put together a story that was accessible to folks who hadn't followed the series, and yet picked up from the series effectively at the same time. In following the series, I had considered the repeated "explanation" of the origin of the insane Reavers to be a really weak point -- and the movie showed the solid, devastating explanation that they had held in reserve. Well done!
on November 22, 2016
Serenity gave us closure when Fox made the horrid decision to cancel Firefly. This movie is a funny, witty, action-packed ride through space that you'll want to watch over and over!
on February 25, 2016
A FB meme about showing Mal Reynolds and stating 'why is Honey Boo Boo showing when they cancelled Firefly' piqued my interest. A friend was a fan, and the concept intrigued me. I can't imagine how I missed this, except, perhaps, that in 2002 I was living in Costa Rica and going through some major life changes... anyway.... I watched the Pilot and was immediately hooked. Great likable characters and the twist between Western and Sci Fi is very well done. Like ST:NG but better in some aspects (gasp, oh the infamy!) I watched all 14 episodes within a week and topped it off with watching the movie Serenity today. I have to say, the movie is good enough to stand on its own, but, I would recommend the series first. Otherwise, some of the characters aren't as fully fleshed out or the Alliance and the plot to recover River won't be fully understood. Well done Josh Wedon. I wish they'd bring the series back!
on March 25, 2017
I can't believe I never watched this before. I have binged Firefly on netflix several times. Loved it, especially when Summer turned into a ninja badass... who knew?. I also liked that the whole cast of Firefly was involved and it answered some questions from the series.
on October 26, 2015
This movie answers a lot of the questions you wonder about when you watch the series. It never really explains who the Shepard really is though. It centers on Summer and really explains a lot about her. The special effects make the ship (Serenity) look fantastic. Absolutely magnificent special effects and audio too. Like the series, it's so good you don't realize the time while you are watching the movie.

The series was excellent, and this movie is also excellent. Joss Whedon is a very talented writer, director and visionary. All the actors are so good at portraying their characters you don't see the actors, you only see the characters. They really make the series and the movie outstanding.

If I saw Joss Whedon in a bar, the first question I would ask him is "Why didn't you find another way to continue this great series and movie series!!"

It should have never aired on the Faux Network.