Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Serenity Volume 2: Better Days and Other Stories 2nd Edition
Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon June 13, 2013
This collection of comics featuring characters from "Firefly" and "Serenity" offers a fun look at the continuing adventures of Mal Renyolds and his crew. The "Better Days" story is a bittersweet but engaging look at the crew when they have a run of luck. With the help of Brett Matthews, Joss Whedon offers more insight into his cast of characters. The art by Will Conrad and Michelle Madsen is solid but not memorable. "The Other Half" by Jim Kruger is an exciting action story with art by Conrad and Julius Ohta. Whedon offers another fun--if somewhat enigmatic--look at the crew with "Downtime" with art by Chris Samnee and Dave Stewart. "Float Out" by Patton Oswalt (yes, that Patton Oswalt) with art by Patric Reynolds and Stewart offers a lighthearted but also moving look at ace pilot Wash. These stories are probably better on character than action--meaning if you are not a fan of "Firefly" they won't mean much to you. But those who are fans should enjoy this collection.
3 people found this helpful
on October 20, 2011
I love Firefly. I love Serenity. It was my gateway into the wonderful mind of Joss Whedon, and after back tracking into Buffy and Angel, I have never looked back. That's why I think I was so disappointed in this book. There's nothing bad about it, it's just very...slight. As others have noted, the collected four issues comprise the story of what could have been a single one-hour episode of Firefly. And I think it probably would have been a really good episode. That being said, as a stand-alone adventure it feels pretty tame, and there are some story/logic/action gaps due to the nature of the art in the book (which is overall fine) that would have been far clearer were this an actual episode. This gives the book the feeling of being a shorthand version of a story Joss would rather tell onscreen, and several incidental characters are ill-drawn and their purpose in the story ill-defined.

The book itself is also an odd size, very small and thin, making the $10 price seem even more egregious than the 15 minutes it took to read the thing.

Still, a look into what could have been had Fox not blown it with the series. For hardcore browncoats only.
4 people found this helpful
on September 22, 2015
If you claim to be a fan of Firefly/Serenity and you have not checked out the stellar comic collections that complete the stories, you need to, and fast before a more rabid fan accuses you of being a 笨天生的一堆肉。・ (BUN tyen-shung duh ee-DWAY-RO) or Stupid Inbred Stack of Meat in the Firefly lexicon. But seriously, the artwork is consistently impressive, the stories are all Whedon (and a few friends) and the characters are those lovable rapscaollions we know and love oh-so-very-well. If you want to complete your Firefly experience, get these books, before the Alliance cracks down on them.
on March 11, 2014
Because I collect all things Firefly and this series did not disappoint. Now, maybe you can't go by a die-hard supporter. Other reviewers said it was short and the story seemed incomplete. I didn't notice that. I noticed that Brett Matthews' art was excellent, the dialog exactly what one would expect from a Joss Whedon production, and it was a really fun way to spend a half hour. The hard cover volume contains the entire Better Days comic series in one beautiful edition, sturdy and richly detailed, to be enjoyed over and over.
on June 1, 2015
I came to the firefly verse after it was over and by way of my daughter who was raving about Castle. I thought I would check it out and instantly fell in love with that crazy cast and the story lines. I could not believe that this show was dropped! I bought the series and the movie but it wasn't enough...now I've got the comics and it still isn't enough. Someone tell me that a follow up series is in the works somewhere!!! Until then keep the comics coming!
on November 15, 2017
Nice repackaging here. The old original story stuff is presented
on June 10, 2015
Going in this was one of the first comics I read. It had nice enough art and the story was okay. Overall, it was an okay comic. Having seen the show, I didn't enjoy the comic. I didn't feel like it captured well. They were cartoons of their already fictional selves. That being said, as a fan of Firefly, I'm glad I own it.
on November 26, 2013
I chose this rating because I loved Firefly and am still mad at Fox for not knowing what they were doing. Cancel a series written by Joss Whedon of Supernatural fame, starring Nathan Fillion (Richard Allen Castle), Morena Baccarin, and the fantastic Mr Ron Glass? They proved they were crazy. We've proven that we're still out here in the black and we ain't ever comin' back.Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me or any of the rest of us. Keep flying!
on January 26, 2018
You can't go wrong with this story. Not for children as it contains graphic violence and some sexuality.
on November 28, 2017
I loved the Firefly series and was disappointed in its short life. The graphic novels are a great way to continue the story.