- • Listen to our exclusive interview with director Joss Whedon as he talks about the collector's edition of Serenity, offers his thoughts about the future of Firefly, and calls a current TV show "one of the best shows I've ever seen, by a country mile."
Serenity (Widescreen Edition)
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Top Customer Reviews
Now bring the show back!
Oddly enough, this crew might well save the human race among the stars. The story is a paean about how the unlikeliest people can become heroes and how the right of individuals to live free if an absolute. I hope there will be many more films in this "verse."
Back in the summer of 2001, Fox announced that "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" mastermind Joss Whedon would be creating a new television show that was a cross between Science Fiction and the Western Genres... For months Fox spent millions of dollars promoting the one "sure fire series of the season" but then the problems started... the pilot was too slow, Executive Heads Clashed, and Baseball season all got mixed into the mixing pot... and in the end fans where left with an out of order, mixed up, tale of identitify (which is ironic if you think about it).
But the fans of Joss Whedon and of the character he creates would not let this be the end of the "firefly" universe, and after much fanfare, petitions, and literal Bitching; Universal Pictures did something rather uprecidented: they green lite a "big-screen' movie which Joss Whedon describes as "a thank you to the fans."
And that is exactly what the film version of "Serenity" is. On the exterior it is a fast-past, character driven, science fiction blast for everyone to enjoy, and the people that did see it did enjoy it alot. It has survived over a month on IMDB's Top 250 Movies of All Tilme List, and has recieved glowing reviews from THE NEW YORK TIMES, EBERT & ROBERT, THE SAN FRANSISCO CHRONICLE, and more... I distinctly remember a quote from the New york Times saying "George Lucas eat your heart out."
But on the interior the movie was about the salvation of people, and it was a political commentary on big brotherism, and how if things in our society today keep going down the same road are future generations won't be much different from mal and zoe.
If your a fan of science-fiction or just good storytelling this is a movie for you.
So what is it about this fictional world that draws me in so? Has senility kicked in and I'm experiencing my second childhood? Maybe, but I think I still have a bit of critical judgement left.
I think the real reason is that this is science fiction done right. It's not about bumpy-headed alien monsters or supernatural forces. It's about people, ordinary people like you and me who find themselves caught up in events outside their control. It's about holding things together when every force in the 'verse is trying to rip them apart.
Technically, this film is beautiful, with just enough SFX to tell the story without having the effects become the story. The one really heavy CGI sequence is a head-spinning thrill ride, but it's not what the movie is about.
"Serenity" is far more fast-paced than the Firefly series was, and that's a mixed blessing. The serial television format allows for more deliberate pacing and character development, which is compressed in the movie. One side effect is that "Serenity" holds up well to multiple viewings, as you catch the nuances that might have flown past too quickly on the first pass. On the upside, the fast pacing means this film is action packed. There are more twists and turns in its first nine minutes than most movies give you in their entire running length.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
If you watched the Firefly tv series that only ran for 14 episodes, this movie finishes it off. It is a movie you can watch many times and still enjoy it.Published 1 day ago by banderaboys
One of the best SCI-FI series ever, but I liked the TV shows better than the movie.Published 4 days ago by Amazon Customer
On arrival the appendices disc was rattling loose inside package, will only play partly through. It was for that disc I wanted this product in my collection to begin with! Read morePublished 6 days ago by Michael Cavanaugh
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Animation
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Animation
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Futuristic
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Sci-Fi Action
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Animation
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Science Fiction & Fantasy