Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM March Birthstone Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

New Series Starring A Short Guy With Hair To The Floor.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 56 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012, 10:55:41 PM PDT
Nemo says:
I don't think she could pull off a male lead. Her men are all 1) idealized female fantasies, like Nate (the perfect domestic man), Micah (the perfectly understanding man who never gets upset), Jean-Claude (the sexy mystery man), Richard (the boyscout with the body of an chippendale), Jason (the sexy boy next door) etc. or 2) sterotypical men with guns-- Edward is pretty much a sterotypical shooter video game "hero," while the police/security are almost always baffoons with army haircuts and guns. For me, the closest she came to a realistic male character would be early book Larry or Zelwinsky (spelled wrong), but I really doubt she would pick someone with either of their personalities to make her protagonist.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012, 10:58:42 PM PDT
ChibiNeko says:
I think at one point she could've achieved a male lead character, but I agree... she's too into pleasing herself more than anyone else and her idea of male characters would pretty much be irritating as a lead character.

Hm... maybe she's working on an Edward spinoff series? Who wants to bet that the main character of the new series is just a carbon copy of Edward?

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 3:09:23 AM PDT
Off the top of my head the three main UF male leads I can think of are Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim, Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros and Simon R Green's John Taylor. I can't imagine LKH writing a character half as good as any of them. I can't see her having the imagination to come up with a storyline that doesn't mirror Anita. And can you imagine her writing a male character that was truely a bad ass? One that might be considered better than Anita? So not going to happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012, 5:07:55 AM PDT
I was thinking of an Edward clone. Trouble is, Edward is only as good as he is because she doesn't fool around with him characterwise as much. If she had to write Edward as the main character he would probably fall apart and become a Micah clone.

Her imagination has died a slow painful death and I don't think she can resusitate it or get a viable transplant.

I have heard rumors the Moose has sublet its part of lala's brain and is making plans to move back to Canada. It has met a nice moose online and the are talking calves for next spring. The Moose has been heard to say that the prospect of hunters, hungry wolves, and hoof-numbingly cold winters are nothing compared to what it is living with now.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 6:09:38 AM PDT
Naomi Clark says:
Oh God, you don't think she's working on an Edward spin-off, do you?

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 6:48:25 AM PDT
Deb Devaki says:
Edward would start to grow his hair long, look at everything in skirts with an empty, blank stare, and angst about whether or not he truly is in touch with his feminine side.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 6:51:24 AM PDT
J. Boyd says:
What about an Olaf spin-off? She's already demonstrated she can write a psychopath...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012, 7:48:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012, 7:49:01 AM PDT
Boo says:
Would you guys want to read about a character who kills Anita look-a-likes all the time?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012, 7:57:01 AM PDT
Maryam says:
I don't think she can do a "Dexter"-type series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012, 8:14:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012, 8:15:22 AM PDT
J. Boyd says:
WOuld I like to read about a character who kills Anita look-a-likes all the time?

ummmm... well maybe. Will he get to kill the real Anita in the end? Pretty please???

Olaf is all lion-y now, right? LKH could probably spin something up about the lion learning to transform his killing impulses and collecting his pride of smexy lionesses.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012, 9:00:35 AM PDT
Nemo says:
I think Harry Dresden (The Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher) is the king of UF right now. The Dresden Files is the only UF that my male friends read, and they like it a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012, 9:41:46 AM PDT
Aerin says:
I could see the early killer Edward brought up to the point where he married - there's something intriguing about an insane killer who goes home to the wife and kiddies in his down time. But what would she do with a happily married monogamous protagonist?

Larry might be a good protagonist also as a spinoff. Follow him through from his first meeting with Anita, his marriage and up to the point where he shoots Anita because she's become one of the monsters? It would take a deft touch to show the gradual change from hero worship to disillusionment and, finally, to determination but it could be fascinating.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 3:44:14 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 8, 2012, 3:44:53 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 3:46:59 PM PDT
Serene Night says:
I've read a few UF featuring males, but not liked them. I guess part of the thing I like is seeing the character hook up with paranomral dudes, and and vice versa, is somehow less entertaining. Tried the Iron Druid series that lots of people like, and disliked it, also didn't much care for dresden.

I suppose I would like UF if the main character was a gay or bi, because at least there would still be hot men. Yes, hopelessly shallow I know.. But I'm not overly interested in reading about female love interests and wooing them.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 4:13:38 PM PDT
anna says:
Sandman Slim series is so good. I wish more people read Richard Kedray.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 4:40:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012, 4:41:01 PM PDT
Raven says:
<Sandman Slim series is so good. I wish more people read Richard Kedray.>

I had never heard of this series, but it DOES sound good. I'll be reading the first book tonight! Thanks for the tip. :)

Posted on Jun 8, 2012, 7:45:20 PM PDT
So glad I wasn't drinking anything when I got to the 2 liter bottle comment. Best comment ever!! Keri Arthur has already done the were-stallion bit and did a very good job with it. I don't hold out hope of LKH doing it nearly as well.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012, 3:17:50 AM PDT
Diane Raetz says:
I just realized something. I want his book to be good. I want it to stir LKH's creative juices and get her away from the andro 80s hair band sex addict trope. I want her to write a kick as book about a (male) demon escaping from hades and trying to overcome his nature and fight for the side of angels. Or a space alien who is secretly manipulating the Rosewell project. Or a boy scout troop leader who discovers mermaids are real. Or or or. I'd deal with the lack of editing, the repetition and the continuity errors if I could read a book where she gave it her all and succeeded.

Oddly the fact that LKH failed with merry gives me a faint glimmer of hope

Posted on Jun 9, 2012, 10:02:30 AM PDT
Naomi Clark says:
As long as she doesn't try to corner the demon-possessed PI market, I'm good...

Posted on Jun 9, 2012, 1:35:08 PM PDT
Cleosmom says:
I was thinking this....you know that the lead is going to be hunchbacked right?

Think about it. Long hair down to his ankles....and a shlong bigger than his leg? He's going ot have to bend over half of his body in order to remain standing up. Otherwise, he'll fall over, like a tripod that is on uneven ground.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012, 3:32:21 PM PDT
Serene Night says:
I think he's going to be sort of on the small side. This way he can wangst about it for days and weeks about how people judge him for his size.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012, 3:39:13 PM PDT
anna says:
He'll have to have a really big slong, like 2 liter big, and talk about it all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012, 3:50:26 PM PDT
Serene Night says:
Or there will be some evil blonde white guy with one, who he will resent throughout the entire series.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012, 8:20:26 PM PDT
Deb Devaki says:
What kind of profession? Not a necromancer nor a fairy prince (although the title Wang Fu the Fairy Prince just begs for a book).

I'm guessing he will be a cop since LKH loves to boast of her police connections. Let's say he mets an evil blond female vampire....no, no, let's make that an evil blond male vampire who will try to turn poor widdle Wang Fu Guy. That way LKH can have her new hero angst about evil blinds and about how haters look down on him because of both his connection to monsters and his perceived love life.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012, 11:12:31 PM PDT
New series? No thanks. With Merry wrapped up, I'm ready for Anita to follow so that LKH can fall into the realm of obscurity. From my life, of course.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Jun 6, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)
Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter) by Laurell K. Hamilton (Hardcover - June 5, 2012)
3.7 out of 5 stars (722)