Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,102 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,216 reviews
on September 14, 2014
While reading Lone Survivor I felt as if I had gotten to know Marcus Luttrell a little. When I realized he had written another book, I wanted to catch up with him. Service: A Navy SEAL at War is a superb way to reconnect with the proud SEAL, fill in some gaps of Operation Redwing as well as gain deeper insight into the military mind and the bonds it creates.

Service is a journey. The reader is deployed along with Luttrell and has a front row seat to his thoughts and actions. We’re introduced to members of his team and patrol Ramadi, all safely from our homes. What these men did to turn things around in the Al Anbar Province is extraordinary and deserves recognition.

Service also reveals pieces of the Operation Redwing puzzle that Luttrell discovered after Lone Survivor was written. The story of his rescue and rescuers. We learn what happened to Gulab after he risked his life to save the SEAL and where he is now. The bond between Marcus and Gulab is a testament to ancient traditions and the moral fiber of good men.

The wives of Navy SEALS are recognized through letters they’ve written about their husbands and what it’s like to be a part of the family that develops around the brotherhood. These women are amazing, strong and devoted. It takes a special breed of person to become a Navy SEAL and the women that love them are even more impressive.

Luttrell’s story began in Lone Survivor as he told of his journey to become a SEAL, his tragic mission in Afghanistan and returning home a changed man. Service picks up where that book left off and shows us what it’s like to achieve, accept and keep moving forward. A book well worth reading.
on January 12, 2015
Every American should read this book...then you will know what our soldiers went through in fighting a very different enemy, dealing with 'their territory'..living in their territory and dodging IEDS..this is detailed daily war friends. I'm a grandmother, 71 years old, and a patriot. I remember details on my parents talking about WWII. This is so different now. As we are seeing through ISIS, Paris murders, beheadings...we are in a religious war people. Now Marcus is a young man who can put you in the streets, in the barracks and on their missions, so you know what it is like..you as an American owe this young man who represents all his dead or alive brothers in combat , to read this book!! Plus I hope I'm gone when we see this country going to murders in the streets, etc. Beware..
on August 30, 2014
I read this after reading Lone Survivor. One cannot fully understand the meaning of The Brotherhood. However after reading this you will certainly have an appreciation for it, how deep and all encompassing it is. How men with such skill, integrity and honor will always be at the ready for each and every one of his brother's and their families.
Life after service is a difficult transition and Marcus addresses this with acute clarity that really drives home what that transition encompasses.
He brings you with him after his survival from the hell on the mountain. You learn about the pivotal role US forces had in turning the tides of a city and way of thinking from that of hatred for our presence there to that of understanding and teamwork by the local citizens to free themselves from the terror and oppression by the enemy.
VERY well written and I feel honored that Marcus has chosen to share his experiences with everyone.
I recommend this book to anyone who has or is serving, has family in the Armed Forces and to every American.
on May 10, 2012
So I just finished reading Service (in less than 2 days) and was not at all surprised to find it captivating and emotionally charged from the very beginning with his beautiful dedication to Morgan and Mel all the way through to the final acknowledgments. He cleared up so many questions that I had following the first book and also explained some things I didn't know that I didn't know (if that makes sense). The many amazing stories of his fellow soldier's valor and heroism were awe inspiring and heartbreaking and I thank God that we have such brave men serving our country. I loved hearing more stories about his friend Jon Tumilson and the amazing man and warrior that JT was, and I also thought the chapter by Amy and all the wives was very sweet and a poignant reminder of the many sacrifices that our military families make. I'm hoping that hearing these incredible stories of bravery will inspire everyone to do all we can to give back to our troops and their families since we owe them so much. Thanks so much to Marcus Luttrell for writing this wonderful book and may God bless him, his family and all those who served and continue to serve with valor.
on June 29, 2012
I discovered the book to be epic in scope.

The battleground that was the most dangerous insurgent held territory in Iraq is layed out to the reader in great detail.

Not only does the book reinforce the reality of the brotherhood among SEAL warriors but it also gives great respect to the interservice support for effective execution of operations. The multiple heroic combat accounts make Service a great single source of stories related to SEAL operations during the critical turn in the Iraq War.

The additional collection of letters and stories from The Warrior Queens, World War II veterans, and an additional chapter retelling incredible details from Operation Redwing's rescue operations (Lone Survivor) were all exceptional contributions to the book's concept of "Service."

As a thread through the book, Marcus Luttrell reveals his private thoughts into his struggle with his newfound physical limitations and his desire to continue serving his country. Like a modern day Greek Hero, his path takes him to important characters and mentors who offer him invaluable wisdom.

And there's Gulab, Luttrell's Afghan protector, who makes a fantastic comeback in Redwing's aftermath.
There is just so much written about in this book it will surely meet a wide variety of a reader's interest.
And yes, there is a love story in the book, and I'm not just talking about Marcus' brother Morgan. How does this all fit together? Buy the book and find out!

Why read about Navy SEALS in the first place? Because the SEALS are exemplary, of not only as the tip of the spear of our military forces, they are among the best of what this country, in its over 200 years of institutional and cultural history, has managed to produce: Exceptional Courage, Valor, Strength, Dedication, Loyalty, Skill, Patriotism, Teamwork... Service.

May I end my review and comments with what struck me about August 6th, 2011. In the book, Marcus compared the loss of The 30 to a loss of one of our aircraft carriers. That's a monumental comparison and one that is apt if you further consider the fact that there are over 5000 sailors serving in a carrier. This is not to belittle those who serve on our carriers but rather, when the best of our SEAL team operators are lost in such numbers, that should spark public outrage and some serious questions of accountability.

A friend of mine used the the word "treasure" to describe a brotherhood among warriors.The best of our warriors, as exemplified by our Navy SEALS, are indeed our American treasure.
on September 26, 2014
As with his book "Lone Survivor" Marcus Luttrell has done an excellent job of helping us see the heart of a Navy SEAL, and has given a glimpse of what a tough world it is out there. I have always respected the SEALS for what little I understand of what they go through to become SEALs in the first place, but after reading this book, my respect has grown. The attitude of service to others permeates his writing, as well as love of God and The United States of America. People like me will never really know all they go through because we haven't been through the training and gone on the missions they do, but this book brought me about as close as I can get. There is no arrogance or grandstanding involved here. It's all about focus, never quitting, enduring what must be endured, and a very moving dedication to those they serve with. Fair Winds and Following Seas, Marcus, and thank you for your service.
on May 6, 2014
I have read both of Marcus's books now. I don't know where to start. I am a very vocal person by nature but I am humbled to silence here. No one should have to suffer time and time again when they're very existence is to better our world as a whole. But this is the way of things, and always will be. Perhaps Mr.Lutrell and all our other incredibly brave military personnel are pre-selected by a higher power by design? After reading these and many other books of this genre I have to say the answer to my previous sentence is a resounding and definate yes.
on May 23, 2015
I read Lone Survivor, which was an excellent book. This book is pretty darn good too, for those that say Marcus repeats a lot of what he wrote in Lone Survivor, I don't see it that way. As a writer you have to assume that the reader has not read your other books, so he provides some light into what happened in lone survivor, but I could almost imagine myself on the streets of Rimandi with his Seal Team in this book, he tells the story from a war fighters perspective, which tells presents the real story. He experiences death of friends and fellow operators, learns lessons about himself and life, and gives a true perspective of what really happens in war. The content kept me interested and intrigued, and wanting more.
on February 9, 2014
I first read "Lone Survivor" right after it came out and reread it twice since then. I've also read "SEAL of Honor" about Lt. Murphy (not by Marcus Luttrell). When this book came out I had to see what Luttrell had to share about his experience after Operation Red Wings (or Redwing... never did figure out which is correct).

I've given this book five stars because it is excellent reading for anyone interested in this topic. He tells us a lot about the participation of other services in the Middle East conflicts and praises the efforts of those other service members. Sometimes it seems there is no one assigned to that area who isn't outstanding in his opinion. Still, respect for the efforts of others is not a bad thing and his constant high praise it the worse thing I can say about this book. I'm sure there are those to be criticized but he keeps that out of this book and that to his credit and shows his professionalism.

As a twenty-two year veteran of the Navy I very much enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.

I would strongly recommend this book to anyone interested in
on May 9, 2017
I think that Marcus Luttrell's writing is really inspiring and the way he talks about his days in the Marine is a showcase of how he believes (and I agree) that we should live our lives - aside from also showing the sacrifice that these men and women that go on service make for the US every day.