Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 307 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 370 reviews
on March 10, 2013
This book is no doubt of general interest, but in my opinion it will be especially helpful to those in leadership positions in industries that have hospitality functions other than the restaurant business. I run a large health system in South, and found that I could translate many of the challenges that Mr. Meyer describes, and the strategies that he has developed to address them, to the challenges of running hospitals and medical schools. Hospital and hospitality have the same latin root, and the needs of patients and restaurant guests overlap. I downloaded the book on a plane thinking I would be interested in it because I grew up in NYC, am a bit of a foodie and have enjoyed dining in Danny Meyer restaurants. I enjoyed learning about the restaurant business, but I learned much more about leadership strategies from an angle that I would not normally encounter. Mr. Meyer writes well and can be quite pithy. I deleted one star only because I found his extensive description of his privileged upbringing, and his frequent name-dropping, to be a distraction (at least for me). That said, this is a minor criticism of an otherwise very useful book that is easy reading.
on June 16, 2017
This is one of my all time favorite books - really a wonderful read. The stories are just so much fun to hear, beautifully written and makes me want to toss the corporate lifestyle and tie on an apron. I recommend this book to everyone!
on March 2, 2017
This book can get more experience from Danny Meyer, he is very excellent and more experience can share with us. It is very useful for my major about Hospitality Management
on May 28, 2014
I love this book. I'm a project manager and this has taught me so many great techniques to tackle challenges I face with clients, customers and project development. It's brilliant.

It's changed how I look at food, cooking, business, travel, service and life. It even inspired me to do more creatively in my own life, and possibly step into writing. This book is similar to the documentary HIRO DREAMS OF SUSHI, it inspires and empowers you to not only think more, but want to do more.

It is now on my required reading list for people I hire.
on December 18, 2011
A friend of mine turned me on to this wonderful business book by James Beard award-winning Restaurateur Danny Meyer (of Union Square Cafe, Blue Smoke, Gramercy Tavern, Eleven Madison Park, Tabla, Shake Shack, The Modern, and Hudson Yards Catering fame).

My friend had mentioned to me that this was a book that his boss (an accomplished businessman and investor who I greatly admire) couldn't stop talking about. It wasn't far into this book that I too could see the reason behind the enthusiasm of my friend's boss. This is not a book for only foodies, restaurant owners, and food writers. It is a book for all people that are serious about business, leadership, and management.

Danny Meyer is a lucid thinker, whose business philosophies (of "enlightened hospitality") are proven, distilled, powerful, and timeless.

Frankly, reading this book has heightened my antenna to businesses that get customer service right, and unfortunately to the large majority that get it painfully wrong.

Whether it is teaching his people to be agents not gatekeepers, developing a new restaurant's real estate assets based on the concept of "context, context, context" instead of "location, location, location," making customers feel like the have a shared ownership, by hiring "51 percenters", collecting and connecting dots, expanding his business empire in a concerted way that doesn't overextend the business's resources- Danny Meyer demonstrates his prowess as not only a Restaurateur, but also an entrepreneur, writer, leader, manager, and visionary.

The Kindle addition of this book does suffer from sloppy editing, which is ironic given the meticulous nature of Meyer when it comes to his restaurant empire. For example, the temperature feels like "twenty five degress", service is "ser vice"; Meyer was "champing" not chomping at the bit, etc. These editorial oversights have the taste of a lamb chop cooked dry and served cold in an otherwise brilliant restaurant.

Despite these minor editorial shortcomings, Meyer in "Setting the Table" has written a lasting business book for not just food people. This is an important and well-written book that outlines an enlightened, customer-centric, at times counter-intuitive, but consistently effective approach to not only business, but also life.
on June 6, 2016
I got this book for my works mangers meetings. They were weekly meetings that we would discuss a chapter a week. It was a very inspiring book for anyone in the hospitality business. Or even any type of management position. Some chapters were slightly boring where I would literally skim through or skip, but for the most part I loved it. I am a kitchen supervisor in a very busy restaurant. The book had so many great examples on not only how to become a better manager, but also how to help others excel. Very very helpful in my position.
on September 9, 2015
This is one of the best customer service books that I have ever read! Actually this book is one of the best books-period; that I have ever read! I highly recommend that anyone that deals with customers of any type digest this book; the principles transition to all industries. The book is interesting to read as a novel but filled with wonderful ideas on how to build a long term customer base. This book should definitely be a staple for anyone in the hospitality business. For me I plan to share it with my kids. The books principles can live along side of Think and Growth Rich, The Five Languages of Love and the Bible.
on August 15, 2015
Mr. Meyer's entertaining and educational story of his life in the restaurant business serves as an instructional manual for anyone involved in business and leadership. His experiences in creating and managing excellent and successful restaurants inspired me to the point where I'm longing to get back in the business after leaving it 30 years ago. I thought the book was a bit too long and I began losing interest after the half way point. But I fully recommend the book and I thank Mr. Meyer for teaching us about the importance of being excellent in our professional endeavors. I look forward to my first Shake Shack experience.
on December 12, 2015
This book should be required reading for anyone who aspires to change paradigms & push themselves beyond what they think is possible.
Danny does an amazing job of balancing the need to achieve with the need to treat people well. Of all business books I've ever read, this one does more to focus on the one reason I want to be in business: take good care of people. Your employees, your customers, your suppliers, your community, and your investors.

I can't think of a business that wouldn't benefit from reading this book.
on October 13, 2016
Author gives many useful tips on hospitality, how to establish and run a restaurant, how to treat customers, suppliers, community, investors and your own team, how to deal with various difficulties on the road to success and most of this advices come from his own experience. I would recommend this book to anyone who works or is planning to start working in hospitality business. It is very useful business management book.