Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kidz Bop All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on August 1, 2014
Great family game! We love to play this.
I was only recently introduced to this game and I was seriously missing out on something fun. We had some friends over to play games and they brought Settlers of Catan and taught us how to play. We have since bought our own version of this game. It was pricey but worth it.
My youngest is 8 and she is just barely old enough to play this with us. It is better suited to my tweens and teens (and of course adults too). Often on Sunday afternoon I will wander downstairs and find my kids playing this game. So nice to have them interacting on something non-electronic.
on November 28, 2013
This game is fun. It has a bit of a learning curve but once you know how to play it, it's a really great family game.

However, the actual set-up and craftsmanship of the game are just okay. The hexagonal board pieces do not have equal sides, which means you have to do some turning and moving around to figure out a way to make them all fit together. It's really frustrating. The wooden playing pieces are small and easy to lose track of. There's nothing to keep the cards in when you play, so you have to set them out and they're not easily kept straight/together.

I played the German version of this game originally, which is why I bought the English version for my family because I thought they would enjoy it. That's why I'm a little disappointed. The pieces in the German version fit together perfectly every time without the hassle of trying to MAKE them fit. The road, cities, and settlements are plastic but they're more aesthetically pleasing than the wooden ones in the American version. They're also bigger so it's easier to keep track of them. There's an actual plastic "bank" (card tray) for the resource cards to go into. There's a plastic holder with separate wells for each building color so you don't have to keep up with the plastic bags that come with the American one.

The game is still a lot of fun but after playing the original German version, the actual game board, the game pieces, and the holders for everything all leave something to be desired.
on July 22, 2016
Warning: This game may destroy your family. Forget the days of monopoly where chance and die ruled whether you stole your sister's last dollar- this game lets you purposefully destroy your family. A game of chance can suddenly turn deadly when the powerful alliance of MOM and MINIONS has total control of vital resources and refuses to trade with you... Bonds stronger than blood can be formed over a shared threat and the lifelong feuds this game can incite will make RISK look like child's play. This should be sold with a phrasebook of the most common declarations made while playing this game, i.e. "You are dead to me", "WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?", "You are now my MORTAL enemy", and "NO ONE WANTS YOUR FREAKING SHEEP". Be prepared to have a dedicated table set up just for this game as the shrieking eels will be unleashed on the house if you tell them to move for dinner and just "start a new game later". You have been warned. If you kinda hate your family, buy them this.
on September 14, 2012
I imagine my 5-star review will just be a drop in the bucket here, but we love this game so much I still feel compelled to share.

We were introduced to this game about 2 years ago and have owned our own set for nearly the same amount of time. I can only reference our experience, so here are a few things that might help put my review in context: we are in our late 20s; our idea of a fun evening involves friends, food, and a good board game or movie; we often spend the evening playing a board game without company over.

The first night we played this game with our friends we ended up talking them into playing 3 rounds, it was very fun and immediately had us hooked. The game is straight forward with just enough complexity to keep things interesting. Set up takes about 5-10 minutes and gets easier once you're familiar with the rules, etc. Playing a full game (with 4 players) takes around 45 minutes to an hour. We all have a tendency to haggle for a while at the end of turns, so you might get through games more quickly.

All of the components of the game are durable, but we're careful with things and your mileage may vary. Our board fits together flat, but our friends own a board that ends up not being able to lock together perfectly. It doesn't interfere with playing the game, but I think it's worth noting that the fit of the board varies from box to box. Wood pieces are a pleasant surprise given the shift to plastic in our other childhood favorites.

We've played with the 5-6 player expansion on two occasions (both times with 6 players). This makes the game a bit longer and requires some revision to normal strategy. We enjoyed playing with 6 just as much as we enjoy playing with 4. The big difference is playing with 2 rather than 4. We tend to get kind of isolationist when it's just the two of us and that can make the game a little slower and less cordial, but we still play quite frequently (so it isn't that bad!).
4 may be the optimal number. But if you have good conversation and snacks, playing with 6 seems like a great option to have. At the time that we purchased it the combo pack was nearly the same price as the base game, so it was kind of an easy decision for us. If we hadn't purchased them together, I think we would have eventually purchased the expansion (even at full retail).

We've been playing this game pretty often for almost two years and the shine hasn't worn off. We always talk about inventing house rules or using some of the blank (replacement) pieces to spice the game up, but we just end up playing the game according to the standard set up and rules. It's a great time every time.

We plan to introduce our children to the game once we have some, but since we don't presently I cannot comment on the game in that regard. We did introduce the game to friends who aren't big board gamers with great results. After playing Settlers for one evening at our place they went out and bought their own (mentioned above). That isn't to say that everyone will love Settlers or that there is anything wrong with not liking it, but in our circle of friends it's 5-stars all around.
on January 20, 2016
This is a game that me and my friends can play for hours - and we are at the point that we each have a set at each of our homes. If you haven't played the game is a bit like monopoly- but the board shifts overtime to add levels of variety. Made from sturdy cardboard I recommend that you take your time when popping the game board out for assembly- I was over zealous and tore the outer covering. This set comes with an extension pack- my friends and I have all labeled our extension pack pieces to avoid getting them mixed in with the original game. This helps avoid confusion when we aren't playing with more than 4 people.

If you are reading this review you are probably already aware that this is a popular game- now is the time to try it out for yourself!

I am reviewing this product in an effort to help other Amazon customers through relaying my experience with the product and providing any insight I garnered. Had I not liked this product, I would state so here in my review. I would really appreciate that if you found my review helpful, that you would please indicate so below by clicking the YES button below.
on August 11, 2013
After hearing of many other families' love of this game, we decided to dive in on a family adventure to the land of Catan! With four kids we purchased the bundle (basic game plus 6-player expansion pack) so that our whole family could play. It was a hit! Our 5-, 8-, and 9-year old kids picked it up and enjoyed it with only a little ramp-time. (Our 4-year-old teamed-up with an adult.) The games can be (and often are) pretty long (at least 2 hours with some games lasting 4 or more hours), but our kids continue to love the quest.
It's wonderful to identify games/challenges/projects such as this that require the kids' attention for more than 30 or 60 minutes at a time. Despite the abundance of conveniently-timed TV shows and movies, real-life challenges(opportunities) almost always require attention beyond that. I love that Catan helps us develop this ability/expectation with the kids in such a fun way!
Can't wait to explore some of the other expansion packs which allow us to go on new adventures and even explore historical events in the process!
on April 27, 2015
I have watched sooooooo many people of many age groups have a total blast playing this game for hours on end with individuals and groups playing. That says a lot about how good a game is. This a sort of the monopoly game of bartering, but much more fun. You will get hooked on it quickly. If you have not yet experienced "Settlers" it's time to get started. :0)
on January 3, 2015
Great game and I was pleased that I could get the bundle which includes the extensions for more players. Do take care when punching out the board pieces that you do not split the cardboard backing from the face design.

I suggest that to maintain some kind of order that the parts for the basic game and the extensions be separated into small plastic bags to facilitate more rapid set up. I label the bags with a marker and the number of parts in each bag. In the extension set there are more octagon pieces and so there is a complete set of discs to go with that. I try to pick them up in order at the end of the game and store them in a very small bag that allows them to lay like coins fanned out.

Settlers has proven to be a great family game for 10 and up. It is amazing how the game shifts and evens out the odds of winning.
on December 13, 2012
Although you may think statistically certain numbers come up more often, the game balances these decently well. Some of the balances are dependent on strategies (reminds me the strategies to the card game Hearts). This causes players to "teach" (i.e. scheme) finer nuances and form partnerships to slow down players who are "lucky" with their numbers. The game is simple to setup, the rules are not difficult, most people will pick up most of the rules after one run (strategies might take a few games), and fun from beginning to end.

This can be fast paced if everyone is focusing on the game, but can be played slowly if you have people who like to chat or watch tv as they play. Most games take about an hour to an hour and a half.

A friend introduced this game to me many years ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. I bought this a couple years ago and introduced it to new friends. We still play it at least once a month if not every other week. This is definitely for more competitive friends, those who like chance or some form of randomness, and great against friends who thinks it is purely a numbers game. We have purchased Seafarers which added a nice new dynamic to the game. Recently, we also purchased knights/cities which is completely different but I have only played it once so have little to comment except that it was still fun to play and feels like it takes a bit longer to finish a game

For those who prefers a game with less randomness, I recommend Puerto Rico. For those who have friends put off by competitiveness (at least player to player competition), I recommend Pandemic. I enjoy playing those games too and I typically tailor recommendations based on that. I still prefer Settlers due to simple setup, easy gameplay, decently balanced, and importantly dynamic enough to keep it interesting.
on January 19, 2013
I have three different types of groups of friends, all whom have enjoyed this game immensely at one point or another.

If you're looking for an evening to fill up with some people and don't know what to do, SoC is a perfect way to waste away the hours. Our games last on average 3-4 hours, with hefty negotiations, plotting and backstabbing, a perfect way to get people riled up and excited throughout the evening. Make sure you play with friends who have a good sense of humor and don't take too long with their moves.

The game is relatively simple to play, but with more people, becomes increasingly difficult to play /against others/. You build to gain points and expand your territories across the map, collecting cards to help you gain resources or attack other players. It's a simple concept, but you really get drawn into the game.

The initial cost of this game is incredibly high, one of the most expensive games I've purchased before. However it's a classic, and I've loaned it to my friends many times (and my sisters) who have also had success in drawing friends into the game. Before purchasing, I would see if any of your friends own the game and ask if they would be interested in teaching you how to play. Odds are, they will reply with an excited, "yes!"
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.