Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection (Cat in the Hat, One Fish Two Fish, Green Eggs and Ham, Hop on
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on December 24, 2011
I ordered these books online not realizing that they had been reduced in size. They are smaller than the standard Dr. Seuss books I grew up with, but they still work. The pictures and text have been reduced in size but are still legible.
55 comments| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2009
Great childrens book collection and it was delivered quickly. The books can be kept easily organized in the cardboard case that they came in. I would recommend this book collection for grandparents like ourselves to purchase for grandchildren between 1 and 8 years old.
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2011
Recently I bought this as a gift as buying five in bulk would save about 45% over buying these books individually. This is five separate books in a boxed set so you could gift each book separately if you choose.

What amazes me is how great they are for a child starting to read.

Happy Birthday, according to the Guinness Book of Records is the most sung song in the world. Happy Birthday contains 16 words, of which only two are not repeated many times. In fact it has only six unique words. Part of the ease of understanding comes with repetition.

Green Eggs and Ham has about 60 unique words and 500 to 600 words overall, very cleverly done, and outstanding for a child learning to read, with entertaining color illustrations on each page, great rhyme, repetition and variation and parallel structure, even reversal.

Here is an example with parallel structure and rhyme:

So I will eat them in a box
And " " " " with a fox.
" " " " " in a house.
" " " " " with a mouse.
" " " " " here and there.
" " " " " anywhere.
Say! I will eat them ANYWHERE.

Now see if you can sing these words to the tune of Happy Birthday. I think you will find the meter is similar. It's quite ingenious. And I think Green Eggs and Ham will encourage a child to try new things.

And a reversal pattern:

I am Sam. Sam I am.

Hop on Pop is a great first book for a child to make rhyme associations through, very entertaining and for a beginner.

Fox in Socks is full of tongue twisters.

One fish two fish red fish blue fish. Notice the repetition through parallel structure.

The Cat in the Hat reputedly contains 220 unique words given by an educator to Seuss to rhyme as the essential words for a child to learn, and created the memorable absurdity of two children and a prankish cat.

Seuss won a Pulitzer prize in 1984 for his overall literary work, so if you want to get your child or someone else's to read Pulitzer prize winning literature at an early age, you need look no further.

If you like this consider also The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories, another Seuss book, seven stories in a single book, for the price of a single story book.

Recently, I had the opportunity to try out these books on my niece who is 4. She had some familiarity with Green Eggs and Ham. Even though her reading skills are not fully developed she was totally engaged with this story and able to anticipate several passages. I was quite impressed with her level of focus and engagement, and she was able to point out the different characters in the pictures and name them. I then read Cat in the Hat changing the names of the children to her and her brothers name which further increased her level of engagement.

It works on adults too. My other sister had used it with her kids, and was able to recite an entire page looking at me without looking at the book, slightly crossing her eyes as she spoke.

I know you will enjoy these absurd and surreal stories, and I hope you found this helpful.
22 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2009
My grandaughter hates to do her homework. She is in first grade. I bought the books. She was so amazed that she could read them by herself. It has given her confidence. Great success story.
on November 30, 2011
Dr. Seuss is of course great. Unfortunately, I'm very disappointed with the quality of this printing. The paper is of low quality, which results in the illustrations from one page showing through onto the next, ruining the whole effect at least for me. I suppose I'll need to buy used copies of older editions of these works to experience them for the artistic masterpieces they are. Too bad.
on July 7, 2015
All of the pages are transparent! How do you overlook or are not bothered by that!? Kind of hard to enjoy the story when the illustrations on the back of the page are showing through. I wish i could return this for a better quality product.
review image review image
on May 21, 2012
After reading a couple reviews I was worried these books would be low quality, but I ordered them anyway. The books are not the original large ones I remember, but they're a good size, ~ 7" x 9". They're hardcover and the binding is good. The pages are not terribly thin as one reviewer said. The colors and printing are good. All-in-all, perfectly fine books. Glad I bought them.
on November 30, 2009
Bought this set for a baby shower gift, was well received. Such a nice classic group of books to start off a little one with.
on December 28, 2009
I bought this as a gift for my young nephews, and boy was I glad I did! It ended up being the perfect Christmas gift. The bright blue box shown in the picture is actually more like a "sleeve" to hold all the books, which is kind of nice. Each book is in pristine condition, and it is a great collection of Dr. Seuss's most popular items. It came exactly on the day that it was supposed to come. I definitely recommend this item to start off any youngsters book collection.
VINE VOICEon December 8, 2013
[Good]

Classic Dr Seuss Books: There is nothing wrong with the content or the stories. They are great and well known.

[Bad]

Paper Quality: It's horrible. It's nearly transparent. It has bad feel and a bad stink to it. It's garbage paper.

Small: The books are tiny compared to the classic editions. This is a really minor complaint. It just doesn't match childhood memories.

[Misc]

Book case: Almost everyone has a book case or book shelf. While this is nice, I would have rather better, nicer looking pages instead

[Verdict]

I'd rather buy more expensive, quality versions than this garbage.