BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

Seven Dogs in Heaven
Format: Paperback|Change

on September 16, 2011
I love Leland Dirks' writing, so I was prepared to like Seven Dogs in Heaven, but truthfully, I wasn't prepared to love it. I'm a bit of a hard-headed realist, so a story about dogs in heaven struck me as, well, a bit hard to swallow? Perhaps a little too sentimental an idea? Mr. Dirks, however, has the gift of taking the improbable and making it completely palatable with his elegant, simple prose and his avoidance of the sentimental. The story is inspirational, funny, sad, sweet, and completely engrossing. He never stoops to using the obvious cliches that other authors of dog books use to bring a tear. When I cried--and I did--I felt truly touched and not manipulated. I whole-heartedly recommend this book. It left me feeling uplifted and hopeful. That's a lot for this hard-headed realist to say. :)
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2011
Seven Dogs In Heaven is a wonderfully entertaining tale of one

man's experiences come "Judgement Day." It is thought provoking,

illuminating,and thoroughly engrossing .You don't have to be a

dog lover to appreciate this story, although dog lovers will recognize

how truly unconditional a dogs love can be when trying to

teach by example lessons such as fidelity, imagination and

duty. In the end, everyone will relate to how man's daily struggle to do

the right thing leads eventually to a final justice, one validated by

the love he shares in life and beyond.
on October 4, 2011
I had already fallen in love with Angelo when I purchased this book so I knew I would probably like it. However the concept, while it seemed a little strange at first, began to grow on me. I've always believed there are animals in Heaven but to "become" an animal, and the best animal there is, a dog, would indeed be like a dream come true. Dogs are teachers to all of us if we will but pay attention to them. I believe God can use anyone OR anything to teach us about Himself. That is what this book essentially does...it teaches us that God loves everything, and everyone, He creates and there is a usefulness in all of it. Beyond this dogs are also a great enjoyment for us. Another lesson learned - life is not all about work. We must take time to enjoy what God has given us. Leland Dirks is the kind of author that sees deep into the nature of dogs and their ability to mentor us in so many ways. I'm sure I can say with confidence that he has grown in many ways because of his relationships with his dogs. To be able to write about it in such a way as to make everyone else want to be a dog is an absolute gift. I hope he has many more books in his future as I simply love his style of writing. Thanks Leland and Angelo (and all the other pups too).
on September 29, 2011
I don't know why I started this book. I don't know if there was any significance in when I read this book. I only know that, after several pages, I became immersed in it. Eagerly I read, enjoying the scenery as much as the characters themselves. And when it was done, I felt something I cannot describe. Peace? Not exactly. Close, maybe. It was a strange feeling, not good nor bad. I am still pondering. Did I enjoy the book? Most certainly! The timing? Hmmmm....I picked it up and read it 3 weeks before I would, unknowingly at the time, have to have my nearly 15 yo 4 legged princess put to sleep. That, too, has left me with a somewhat eerie feeling. Not good, but not bad either. If you're a devout canine fan, read this book!
on October 9, 2011
Knowing Leland and Angelo personally and the land where this story takes place was a big plus for me; but to other readers, if will identify a place, a man and some dogs that spring life very easily in your imagination. In his simple approach, Leland created something profound and allowed Angelo to be one of the leading characters amongst a group of other dogs -each bringing its own thought-provoking approach and making the reader dig back into their own head for the dogs of their own lives and what they meant - how they changed us and how we changed them.
It's a great story but be prepared for your emotions to bubble out and take you to places you didn't know you had.
Really enjoyed this and will re-read often.
on September 25, 2011
After reading Angelo's Journey, this is another wonderful story. The story of the dogs in the author's life really brought up memories of my past dogs and how I might meet up with them in Heaven. A few tears, reflections and smiles, this is great book for all pet lovers and owners.
on April 16, 2012
This book was surprisingly good. I am an avid reader and also a real dog lover so I am sometimes disappointed by the 'sameness' of some of the books on the market.
This book is quite different in the approach the author takes. You will be taken on an interesting journey of both man and his dogs.
Those of us who have been fortunate enough to share our lives with dogs know only too well the unconditional love they offer, irrespective of our shortcomings. A love not often found in the human population but almost always in the canine species.
Our dogs have much to teach us if we let them. This book ,written from both perspectives of a man and his dogs explores this concept.
I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.
on July 10, 2013
I found this charming book Seven Dogs in Heaven after losing the dog that taught me how to love dogs. The title caught my eye since I very much wanted to believe that I would meet my little guy again in heaven. This tale confirmed that belief in my mind but brought me so much more. It creates a heaven where the pups that had shared the life of the protagonist of the story are the angels that guide him through the process. Very believable, very real, not sickly sweet and very genuinely touching at many turns. A marvelous reminder of the many gifts dogs bring to our lives and a crisp telling of the lessons we can learn in their presence.
on December 18, 2012
I think anyone who loves dogs and has read and appreciated the theological fantasies of writers like C.S. Lewis will find this little book delightful, insightful and fun! Leland Dirk and his colleagues have found a wonderful way to address the most important topics that lead to a life of harmony and joy. It seems to me that the first step in faith is to be able to imagine a loving God and what it would be like to live in a kingdom of love with such a God. That is what Jesus tried to teach us - and this little book tries to do so as well in its own way. Great fun and I am sharing it with many friends as Christmas gifts! Father Clark Powers Available in Paper Seven Dogs in Heaven and Digital versions Seven Dogs in Heaven
on November 3, 2014
Loved it - I could relate to it so well.
The theme of the book was one I'd like to believe - that the loss of a beloved dog is not final and forever.
It is a warming light of hope that we'll be together again.. and even if that is not to be true, it was comforting.