Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 502 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 558 reviews
on November 29, 2011
Every person I saw this movie with, and I saw it in the theater more than once with several different people, said the same thing, they loved it and wanted to own it on video. Recently, I talked to a woman whose son worked as a crew member. He said the crew didn't have high hopes for this modest-budgeted film at the time, and they were all surprised at just how good it turned out to be when it was released.

It's a feel-good movie about accomplishing dreams that makes a person want to see it again and again. They even make golf interesting. The faith aspect of it is sweet and comforting and never mushy. The scenery is beautiful; the characters are great; Duvall is the best! He rides his horse on the golf course! Have the Kleenex handy, it will touch your heart.
on January 20, 2013
Though this is a "golf movie" and the lessons the main character learns are in that backdrop of golf, the lessons go far beyond golf and are applicable to any of us, whether you've played golf or not (I would be in the latter category). At the end of the day, this film has a strong message that it's good to examine your life and see what you're really living for. Is it to win a big tournament? Get in the record books? Be the next superstar? Have the world's wealth? This movie is all about causing us to put life in proper perspective.

This is a generally feel-good, "down home" southern-feeling (Texas) film with practically no swearing or objectionable content. The story itself, however, I felt left something to be desired. I knew I was in for a bit of a bumpy ride early on in the film when the golfer ends up in this small town after a big defeat, and everyone in town seemingly is watching the Golf sports channel and thus finds out about his defeat. What kind of realism is that??? I know some people watch golf and all, but that's really stretching it...Anyway, this kind of implausible-but-predictable type stuff happens throughout the film. When you come to the place where you start to understand that this movie isn't really about golf, or really even too much about the story, as it is about its main points regarding life, you realize you can cut it a bit of slack. Of course, I didn't really come to that understanding until the very end of the movie...

In fact, if it wasn't for the ending, I probably wouldn't recommend the movie. I won't give it away, but it honestly surprised me, especially because the rest of the movie was fairly predictable and full of clichés.

The film's message is pretty generic and while seen by some as a "Christian movie", you won't find any real mention of Jesus. The main character's supposed "born again" experience (including with a song playing that boldly uses such words) isn't even remotely representative of a true Biblical "born again" experience, but it's more of just a general letting go of the past and what you've been living for to move forward kind of thing. Very generalized and watered-down, etc. Yet, because of the way it was portrayed, it didn't grandly concern me (though I do wish they would have chosen a different song that didn't use the "born again" verbage). The movie did a similar thing with its "see, feel, trust" thing that is used throughout the movie. It's all kind of generic, vaguely religious type stuff, rather than any real substance. (sidenote: the website that the movie directs people to at the end does have a page that's more specific regarding Jesus and brings more Christian-specific clarity to the movie). The movie's core message of examining your life to see if what you're living for will really matter in the end, I believe is one of great value.

The acting and production quality were fine and sufficient and that's about all that can be said about that. Nothing stellar.

This movie could be a perfectly fine "family night" type of movie, but I'd definitely recommend follow-up discussion to really discuss what some people live for vs. what the Bible says really matters, how we need to "see, feel, trust" in what's true and what's true is Jesus who IS the Truth, what being "born again" REALLY entails (i.e. repentance, faith in Jesus to save us from our sins, etc.) - that it's a whole new life in Jesus, how we need to strive for excellence in life (do everything well) but not lose perspective, the value of having a Godly mentor-like figure in our lives, etc.

MoviesForChristians Movie Reviews
laughandlift dot com/moviesforchristians
on January 1, 2017
I purchased "Seven Days in Utopia" for my Dad as one his Christmas presents. He is 89 and I have to be careful of movie content because he is uncomfortable with some subject matters. (When Mom was alive she told me that he had gotten a little "prudish" in his old age. Lol...) He LOVED this movie. Dad told me he couldn't stop thinking about it after he watched it. He reads the Bible for an hour every night after he goes to bed and for the first time, he said he couldn't focus on what he was reading ! This movie was a winner in my book...
on May 18, 2017
I was pretty sure I wasn't going to like this film since I don't like golf but I took the chance on it because of the actors. Robert Duvall has always been great although I liked his westerns the best. He's definitely one of those guys who was good as a youth and has grown better as he ages. Kind of like good wine. I've liked Lucas Black since he was a boy and doing television and what male couldn't like Melissa. It's seldom you see a faith movie with such a simple story line and such deep meaning. See it, feel it, trust it has become my new way of looking at faith whether it's in God or in something you have to do in life. I enjoyed this story immensely.
Dr. David L. Cook, Ph.D., who authored the best-selling book "SEVEN DAYS IN UTOPIA", is one of the most experienced and sought-after sports psychologists, in the USA. Dr. Cook works with individual sports (GOLF) and team sports. It was not until the latter part of the 20th Century, that psychology was recognized as a key factor in athletic sports. The mind is a wonderful thing. I don't know who said it but, they hit the mark. If YOU- THINK-YOU -CAN, YOU WILL or MAY; if YOU-THINK-YOU-CAN'T, YOU WON'T! This movie is a testament to P.M.A., Positive Mental Attitude! Enjoy!
on January 23, 2013
Seven Days in Utopia is a film that does not contain any form of profanity and is a penetrating journey of a golfing prodigy's need to rebound from a personal meltdown after a flawed performance in a pivotal tournament, Stranded in Utopia, Texas after a car accident, Luke meets rancher, Johnny Crawford (played by the peerless Robert Duvall) who offers him special tips on not just how to reconstruct his golf game but his spiritual life as well. In order to recapture his swing, Luke is assigned to do other activities (like fishing ) which on the surface have nothing to do with golf (or do they?). These scenes may remind viewers of "The Karate Kid" when Pat Morita kept assigning Ralph Macchio tasks bordering on drudgery (like waxing cars) in order to educate him in the art of karate. This is a good movie but the only thing preventing a five star rating is that it needed to be energized by a few more sequences of excitement. But I still would recommend it highly.
on January 4, 2017
One of the best sports story in the movies, Right up there with Rudy. Very believable and heartwarming growth of this young golfer.
on April 5, 2017
Everyone should be required to watch this movie! Well acted and played.
on May 15, 2017
A very good movie and yep in good condition. I enjoy the story line
on June 8, 2014
A golfer who hits a wall in his ability to play finds himself in country scene with an older man ( Robert Duvall) telling him he can bring back his game in one week if he will give him a chance and do what he tells him to do. The man finds his instructions odd but does what he is told and finds himself a better man and a much better golfer. Well acted and a lesson in never giving up. I recommend it.