Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Garth Brooks STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Top Contributor: Sewingon December 19, 2015
This book has a lot to recommend it. It is a large, hardcover book that is spiral bound. Spiral binding is a real plus when sewing, as you can lay the book open to follow the instructions. And there are a lot of instructions, the outside half of every page includes clear, visual instructions which guide you step by step through what you need to do. This is especially helpful for folks who haven't sewn before. For those same sewers she breaks the bags into Simple, Intermediate, and Challenging bags. It looks to me like any sewer could take on the simple bags. Some of the more difficult bags still have simple sewing techniques but include many more pieces, hardware and maybe zippers. In the introduction, she gets you ready to sew by discussing inter facings, sewing techniques, and she has instructions for things I have not seen in other bag books, such as grommets and straps.
So why only 3 stars? Her bags are, well, ugly. They look awkwardly home made and to me they're just not stylish, they're boxy, none of them are slouchy or trendy. And I wouldn't use one of the fabrics she has chosen. If I'm going to take so much effort to sew a bag, I want it to look fabulous. I bought the book used for a couple of bucks, for that some of the technical information makes it worth the price.
on October 6, 2011
This book is like "WOW". Kay Whitt makes it so easy to create your own bags/purses. She has many photos on the techniques and then has hand drawn pitures at most the steps for the project. I have made one, the Tulip bag, and it was very easy to complete by following the steps. I am half way done with the purse on the cover. She uses very unique techniques to create the ruffles. (At least to me). If you follow her directions you will have a complete project finished to a professional standard. Your friends and family will not believe how crafty you can be! Be careful showing them, you may be required to create one for your friends and family!! I know I had to!Sew Serendipity Bags: Fresh and Pretty Projects to Sew and LoveYou may find yourself buying more patterns from her because she writes the directions so concise and complete! Everyone will think you are a master seamstress, not just an average crafter.
on November 8, 2017
The instructions in this book are confusing and complicated, they flip back and forth, have you chopping interfacing into small strips then sewing together etc, while the bags are cute, wish I had spent my money elsewhere
on June 7, 2017
great patterns to choose from - easy to read and understand! I have made several bags from this book and they all look lovely. Thank You
on January 16, 2017
Some beautiful purses and bags in this book. Only one color photo though for each bag, the rest are sometimes hard to understand illustrations. I have been sewing for 35 years and making purses or 12 and even I had trouble understanding some of what was described. Still I do recommend this book, just be sure to read over the instructions numerous times before starting.
Definitely worth the money, just wish there were more photographs instead of drawings.
on December 20, 2012
What I love most about this book is that there are different shapes of bags. That was super important to me as I'm not interested in making the same basic shapes with different embellishments or small features. The other thing I am really impressed with is the color sketches in the instructions. Not only do these provide excellent clarity but they are a lot more fun to look at than simple black line art type diagrams. There are some good beginning instructions on some sewing basics too. Some are pretty standard and a few like the part about installing double loop sliders are a bit more specific to projects like purses. The book also has gorgeous photography which makes it fun to look through and drool over, plus helps inspire me to want to get to work.
on March 23, 2017
This book is excellent and is easy to use.
on July 29, 2017
GIVES ME GOOD IDEAS FOR GIFTS - I HAVE LOTS OF WOMEN IN MY FAMILY
on June 11, 2013
I am so glad I chose to order this book! It has so many different kinds of bags that should be easy to create. I was looking for a good pattern book to use in my middle school FACS class and I think this one will work nicely. Especially for the students who have some sewing experience from last years class. There's plenty of bag options to choose from so surely my students will be able to find a pattern that suits them.

My order was delivered before its expected arrival date and was in very good condition. It also included all of the patterns required for making all the projects in the book. Very satisfied with this seller and will use them again.
on February 18, 2017
Wasn't exactly what I thought it was - more girly than I would sew - but that is the risk you take when you don't see all the pages in advance. I'll put it away until I get a request for something with bows and ruffles.