Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 28, 2012
Material quality, contactor, backshell, fit, finish, wire securing screw, and threads are excellent. Backshell is two piece steel, knurled segment for ease of tightening. Compared with two types of Nakamichi banana plugs there are some considerations. Sewell backshell is longer, thus if using heavy gage wire, it will load the receiver sockets more and may require cable support. Also, Sewell plugs have only one screw for securing the wiring versus two screws on the Nakamichi. Nakamichi plugs contacts are longer than the Sewell. Nakamichi plugs backshells are plastic with metal threads insert versus all metal backshell on the Sewell. In addition, the Sewell connectors will accomodate heavier gage wire than the Nakamichi plugs. I am using Velocity 12 gage wire and it fits easily in the Sewell. If I was to upgrade the Sewell design, I would make the backshell shorter, the contact pin longer, and include two screws to tighten the wire instead of one. However, in the past two years I bought Nakmichi plugs, Monster, and others but found these Sewell Pro Maestros to be the best quality and value too.
review imagereview imagereview image
41 helpful votes
42 helpful votes
on July 13, 2012
Easily worth double (or even triple) the $27.95 asking price, these well made banana plugs are an excellent value.

Unlike other banana plugs I've used, the Sewell Pro Maestro fits snugly into the speaker terminals with a nice solid connection. It took a surprising amount of force to coax the banana plug into the terminal posts. Once inserted the banana plugs felt solid and secure.

It has a three piece design with a gold plated solid brass head which threads into a beautifully polished gun metal gray solid steel barrel which has tapered "teeth" that gently grip the speaker cable (assuming you're using thick enough cable) when screwed into the bottom of the casing.

The speaker cable is internally fastened behind the head of the banana plug by a small flat-head screw which clamps down on the inserted cable. (Make sure you have a precision screw driver handy - I used a 2mm) Most audio enthusiasts recommend tinning the end of your speaker cables and if you did, the little flat-head screw would offer a more than adequate connection. I, however, opted to insert the bare speaker wire, clamp it down with the screw, then solder the entire cable insert slot. The plugs are surprisingly heavy and appear to be made of high quality materials - they shrugged off the heat of my propane torch with no ill-effects.

The Sewell Pro Maestro banana plugs look fantastic, are well made, and are priced for far less than they are worth. Highly recommended.
11 helpful votes
12 helpful votes
on November 7, 2014
I have used around a dozen different types of banana plugs in my years on home theaters and these are by far my favorite for a few reasons. First of all the quality of materials here is awesome and this is my go to design when selecting (set screw instead of the bend the strands over and screw in) a banana plug. There is one thing you need to know though, before you do anything, you need to drop the sleeve part (the smallest piece that allows the cable through) down the cable and then install it onto the cable. If you forget to drop the sleeve, you will be taking it back apart and taking out the setscrew, because that is the only way to install it. I did this once by accident and never did it again. Most people would notice this immediately when looking at one taken apart, but sometimes your hands get ahead of your mind : ) Overall highly recommended for someone looking for a high quality banana plug for any application. The only thing I can say about them is they are a little long and in some install situations this may be a problem, mainly going into a corner speaker. They are slightly over 2 inches from tip to sleeve and the entire tip will not go completely into most banana jacks, so you are looking at roughly 1 and 3/4 inches of metal sticking out the back of the banana jack. Keep that in mind when purchasing; I had one speaker where this was right on the edge of being too long to use, but I barely adjusted the speaker and it works fine. If you need a shorter length you will probably have to use a banana plug that has the copper strand bend over and screw in design (which works fine if you know how to do it). Sewell has this design on this page if you pick "Deadbolt" instead of "Pro Maestro" and you could get just 2 pairs of "Deadbolt" with 6 pairs of "Pro Maestro" if you think the "Pro Maestro" is going to possibly be too long.
on April 15, 2013
I bought the Sewell Pro Maestro Banana Plugs (Sewell P/N: SW-29221; ASIN: B003EGIE2S) to pair with some 14AWG copper wire for my home theater system.

Out of the box, the first thing I noticed was that they have a nice heft and a professional polish that work to convey a satisfying feeling of quality. It's almost a shame they have to be hidden at the back of a receiver.

The back of the connector tip is machined to accept a large gauge of wire. I have 14AWG. I found that by folding a 3/4" (19.05mm) length of wire in half and tightening the set screw I could get the wire to fit perfectly and securely. My receiver reports no faults at all.

The set screw requires a very small flat-head screwdriver. If you don't at least have a cheap set of jewelers screwdrivers, I recommend picking one up.

My only gripe is that because the body of the connector is made to accommodate such a large gauge, smaller wires are left to loosely flop around at the base. This is not really a fault, though. It's just a small price to pay for the flexibility this product allows.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on August 3, 2017
These are good but not great, but as good as anything I've used out there. My main gripe is that the set screw easily strips when it's tightened leaving these a one time use or must solder. 2 in my last package had totally seized set screws and couldn't even be used. Not bad for the money, I recommend insulating the bodies with heat shrink as they easily short circuit of the bodies touch.
on August 14, 2012
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and even the highest quality audio equipment won't sound good if the connections are corroded or frayed. Over time, your speaker wires can get worn or break, resulting in poor sound quality or even shorting out your amplifier or receiver. Banana plugs or spade connectors are an excellent way to prevent this from happening, and also make it much easier to disconnect and reconnect your speakers and amp/receiver. I ordered a set of Sewell Pro Maestro Banana Plugs and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. They were very easy to install with a small jeweler's screwdriver, and they will accommodate even heavy gauge wire. (Note: If you use thin speaker wire such as 16 gauge lamp cord you may want to wrap a small piece of electrical tape around the wire so the compression jacket grips it tightly. If the compression jacket does not grip the wire sleeve then the plug will only be attached by a small screw holding the wire to the plug's connector.) When the product arrived, the outer jacket of one of the plugs was missing. The rest of the set was fine, and the plug would have worked okay without the outer sleeve, but since I payed for a complete set that is what I expected. I sent an email to the seller telling them one of the plugs was missing a part, and they immediately sent me a new set - no questions asked! Kudos to Sewell for not only making an excellent product, but for backing it up with outstanding customer service!
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on August 18, 2010
They're a solid set, good quality, and i was impressed by their appearance. They're convenient to use, they have a built-in socket in the back for other banana plugs (fairly standard feature)
I'm using them with 18-gauge wire with no troubles, only downside there is that you have to fold over the wire on itself to get enough thickness for the plug to grip - not even really enough an issue to be a con.

Only thing i noticed is that the gold plating rubs off pretty quickly, it'll survive maybe 20 or so repeated insertions / removals, even the knurled base has lost its gold plating just from being handled. If you're doing a permanent audio installation, I'd suggest investing in a fancier set, (especially since they do come loose easily, but not so easily as the 1/5 star reviewer suggests)
I only needed them for a short project, a way to hook up to an amp, and they were perfect for that.
17 helpful votes
18 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on August 6, 2013
I bought these banana plugs to go with my Yamaha receiver. I wanted a clean solid installation and with these plugs I finished it. I used size 16 Ga. and 14 Ga. wire and both fit perfect. What I did was leave like 3/4 of an inch of bare wire, fold it in half and then tighten it down to the plug. I had two 15 inch sub woofers connected with bare wire. After I installed the plugs, I can now feel the push of the subs all over my house without putting the volume on my sub amp very high. There is certainly a power gain compared to bare wire, at least in my setup.

Material certainly does not feel cheap, it is heavy. What is cheap is the labels. Those might come off if you are connecting and disconnecting the plugs very often.

NOTE: One thing that I loved about these plugs was that you can remove the middle section of the plug(three sections: connection tip, spacer, bottom end). So with the middle section removed, you can attach the bottom end to the connection tip(Same screw type). So now you get a short solid connection to your receiver. This allows you to push back your receiver closer to the wall.
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on December 31, 2016
I'm a DIY guy myself so when i had the oppurtunity to try these out i did. The banana plugs are well built and easy to attach your speaker wire. I would only caution would be user of the product that you are using wire gauge smaller then 14gauge it may be a little difficult to seat the wire in the plugs. If you are using 14 or larger gauge wire you will be fine. They secure well with the larger gauge wire and hold nicely in place. they are also a little longer then other banana plugs so if spacing is a premium you will need a least 3 inches behind the receiver to the wall. I would buy them again with out any hesitation.
review imagereview image
on March 6, 2015
Ugh. The machining and manufacturing of these plugs are both great. The price is great. I am an industrial electrician. I term wire daily. I formerly worked at a Pro-Audio shop. My original intent was to solder these. That is doable, upon inspection. My soldering iron is at work so I used them as intended as screw terminals. They will let loose of the wire no matter how tight you torque the set screw.

I am using high quality 12awg wire, the wire is new oxygen free speaker wire, and 4 conductor since I am bi-wiring. I am also using higher end components. A Marantz PM-6005 and PSB Imagine B Speakers. The connectors are too long for most situations, the body doesn't include a strain relief (really?), and the set screw is nearly impossible to torque to a point the wire doesn't slip out. Filling the cup with solder will solve all problems except for length. They are still too long for most cabinets, racks, and setups. I gave up on these and going straight to the binding post. I tinned the wire ends and shrikwrapped everything to make it look nice.