Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 185 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 348 reviews
on January 8, 2016
There's no real plot here, no through line that makes you curious what will happen next. But it is a charming account of remote island life - realistic, quirky, disease-ridden, lively. - from an outsider's point of view. It also has some interesting history about the area that will make you shake your head in shame over the way we treat this planet.
on September 4, 2013
Personally, I only got as far as Hawaii, but this book about Kiribati echoes what I intuited while there. In brief: the natives are NOT happy and it is NOT paradise, at least for them! This book also captured more accurately than most the dissolute atmosphere of the South Pacific and the ennui of the place. You can't get this stuff in the official guidebooks which scream "aloha" and "paradise". This is what real life is like in this part of the world and in this part of a very large, isolating ocean. The brief section on gender relations was, to my mind, especially revealing.
on June 12, 2017
Hilarious. Highly recommended for those who appreciate adventurous travels and living around the world.
on August 8, 2011
The Sex Lives of Cannibals is a terrific recap of Maarten and Sylvia's adventure to life in the equatorial pacific. This a very well written, humorous, and honest portrayal of a young couples move to Tarawa (Sylvia takes a government job, Maarten joins her to "write"). Troost makes you feel as if you are actually there going through the daily trials and tribulations of their minimalist, island life. From bathroom relief in the ocean, to replay of la macarena, learning about non-pet vs. pet dogs, and island food this book kept me thoroughly entertained. It's impressive that these 2 survived 2 years and even more so that they endeared themselves to the natives and the natives and island to them! Though it may have ended appropriately, I felt the end was a bit rushed-- I would have liked more of a look at their return and subsequent move (attempting to avoid a spoiler alert with any more details). I will definitely read another one of Troost's books!
on May 8, 2017
I liked this book, I found myself laughing out loud a few times. I enjoyed the lessons learned by the author and his wife.....the simple life isn't so simple, but ultimately it's better than chaos.
on August 31, 2016
This book with the fetching title introduced me to J. Maarten Troost. Like his, my childhood began in Mitteleuropa.
Although he doesn't know me from Adam's house cat, I immediately felt a bond with him. He has the kind of
humor that appeals to Europeans. He's also exceedingly well read and intelligent.
on July 30, 2013
the title pulled me in, the entertaining writing kept me engaged, and in the midst of it all, I learned geography, cultural history, and anthropology. As a former peace corps volunteer, i could completely relate with the author's shock at the heat and filth that awaited him on a tropical island. Adventure fantasies quickly turn into a living hell, and fortunately for us, Mr. Troost has a witty, charming style that converts it all into hilarious reminiscence. He reminds me of a younger, trendier, more succinct Bill Bryson. Buy the paper copy and share it; you'll be finished with it before you know it.
on August 4, 2017
Funny book
on March 6, 2017
Even though it's a bit disjointed the author has a way with words.
on August 16, 2017
Well written, ironic, truthful, but wonderful travelogue about living on a small atoll, in a poor island nation, used and abused by Liberals, global bureaucrats and the islanders themselves. Really enjoyable.