Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Sex: A Book for Teens: An Uncensored Guide to Your Body, Sex, and Safety Paperback – June 1, 2010
Up to 50% off select Teen and YA books
Featured titles are up to 50% off for a limited time. See all titles
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
However, there are some sections of this book which I don't think are appropriate for a 13 year-old to know about (BDSM, etc.). Depending on the age of your teen, you may need to do some selective (and temporary) censorship. So, we've decided to photocopy selected parts of the book as his weekly reading assignment, after which we'll have a discussion on that topic. This was the only way we could think of to:
1. give him good information, but age appropriate
2. give him more chapters/sections as he gets older
3. not just hand him a book in the place of good discussion/guidance
4. not bombard him with a bunch of topics all in one discussion
For older teens, the entire book may be totally appropriate. At that age, they are also probably at the reading level where giving them a full book at once would not be overwhelming.
Overall, I recommend this book highly. I wish I had this book while growing up. Just be sure to preview it first before giving it to your teen and realize that you may need to break up the content depending on the age.
- I was really hoping that this book would provide more values/attitudes/decision-making of the progressive variety. In particular, I wanted a robust discussion of consent and what is consent, but also: writing about yes means yes type empowerment/feminism, un-learning the silence is sexy script, doing what you want to and not just what you're okay with. This is not really that book and I am not sure that book exists. This book is more what is and how to. The chapter on first time having sex doesn't have a huge giant section on consent - just a general bit on communication, "Always check in with your partner to make sure everything is going ok - that they're enjoying it, etc." It does have a box on consent a page or two into the section on sex (after sections on foreplay, etc.) In general, the order of chapters doesn't make sense to me - I would want communication to come very early on, then protection, then sex - in the book maybe as in life.
- I really found the communication chapter to be so vague as to be almost useless unless someone has never thought they needed to communicate at all.Read more ›
The most amazing thing about Sex is the style it's written in- I'm a 16 year old and I totally feel like one of my best friends could be the author of this book. It gets all the details through, but it isn't told by a 90 year old nun.
I would recommend this book as a book for sex education in the home and in the classroom.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
My teen girl found it to be informative and when her friends visit her I see that they also pick it upPublished 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
The illustrations are great attractions to read the book, very educational and catches any teens attention. Its a great way to talk to teens about sexPublished 6 months ago by Estrellita Osio
too graphic for high school, seems more appropriate for college agePublished 9 months ago by Fontana
Definitely not a book for teens. Maybe a 19 year old college student. The book talks about fisting. This is not a subject I want to discuss with my 13 year old virgin daughter.Published 11 months ago by Sean F. Keenan
This book was excellent for my teen (we read it first) it covers lots of sensitive topics like masturbation, protection, how to know if you're ready, what to do if you are not. Read morePublished 14 months ago by K. Rhone
Nikol wrote a comprehensive, easy to read book about a topic all teens are interested but embarrassed to ask questions. It is my favorite presents for young relatives.Published 15 months ago by Carloco
I can't say enough about this book. I read through before giving to my daughter. Gives a young person all the information that they need for embarrassing questions. Read morePublished 17 months ago by Kat