Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 138 reviews
on February 7, 2014
Here we have another situation where I am kicking myself for putting this book off for so long. Since Shade first released, I have been meaning to pick up this series and I have finally gotten to it. Needless to say, I am now addicted. I finished Shade in one sitting and I am still wondering why I did not pick this book up sooner.

Shade presents the reader with an original concept. In this world, everyone born after the Shift has the ability to see ghosts (this applies to kids around the age of 17 and younger.) Nobody knows why people started seeing ghosts all of a sudden, but it is clear that something changed. This whole idea was intriguing. Yes, the ghost thing has been done before, but not in a way like this. The whole concept of a world where ghosts could walk and interact with others freely is quite original.

While being able to see ghosts may sound like a cool ability, reading the book quickly shows you that it is not. As it turns out, these ghosts tend to bother the post-Shifters and that makes life difficult for post-Shifters. Aura is someone who wishes the Shift had never happened. The ghosts tend to make her life difficult and all she wants is to be like the pre-Shifters. That is until her boyfriend Logan dies. All of a sudden seeing ghosts isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Sure, Logan is dead but he is still around. Then we throw into the mix her new friend Zach, who may be more than a friend; and we have the makings of a wonderful story.

Aura is a character that it is easy to feel for. The reader will sympathize with her and the many troubles she encounters. You will also root for her to be happy and to discover the many secrets lurking in her past. If you have not guessed already, there is a bit of a love triangle with Logan and Zach. Logan is the steady boyfriend that has been with Aura since they were kids and has proven that he loves her over and over. Then you have Zach who is the new guy in town that is nearly impossible to resist because of his charm and wit and oh sweet alien babies that Scottish accent of his. This is a love triangle I can enjoy because I do not hate either one of these guys. However, that does not mean I could not choose. I am 100% Team Zach. Zach is just incredibly easy to fall in love with and in my opinion Logan is just too whiny and melodramatic for me at times. So I am glad to say that I am a new member of Team Kilt.

Shade is the kind of story that refuses to let you go until you reach the end (hence my reading it in one sitting) and then when you finish you will be dying to start the next book immediately. The plot keeps you guessing and with every answer comes a new question. The plot makes numerous twists and turns and will keep you on your toes.

Overall, Shade is a great read and I strongly encourage you to go pick this book up if you are like me and have been a complete slacker when it comes to this series. You will not be disappointed.
on March 27, 2013
4.5 stars

*NO Spoilers
I have been ambivalent about ghost stories for a while. It doesn't really bother me, but I don't love it and I definitely don't go looking for them. However, when it's a ghost story by one of my favorite author's ever, I have to give it a shot and I am so absolutely glad I did!

Aura is your run-of-the-mill teenager in the world after the Shift. You see, something happened 16 years ago that anyone born from then on can see and communicate with ghosts and Aura was born right in the brink of it.

For a girl that can see ghosts, Aura's life was pretty normal. She has school, friends and a boyfriend she loves and with whom she was planning to lose her virginity to, that is until he dies unexpectedly on his birthday and Aura's become even weirder than she could possibly imagine.

Jeri Smith-Ready has done such an incredible job in telling this story and creating this world that you can't help but feel entranced and transported into Aura's life and her dilemma's, the best of which is the appearance of Zach a boy that will definitely make Aura's heart beat faster but that she'll not give herself to, specially since she still has a boyfriend, he is a ghost, but who cares.

Shade is not a full-on action-packed novel but it is fast paced and thrilling nonetheless! If you enjoy the Paranormal YA genre this is definitely a must read novel! I promise you will not be disappointed!

Originally Posted at Welcome to Larissa's Bookish Life {[..]}
on August 23, 2011
I can't explain how I felt the time I started reading Shade. I was too excited to read it and the fact that I was finally holding the book in my hand, made my heart palpitates while I read the first chapter. What do you call that feeling when you're heart palpitates and you seem to be out of breath? Well, if there is something like JHSBS (Just Holding Shade Book Syndrome), then I think I have one now! It was a weird feeling but I really liked it.

I love the story because it's UNIQUE. At first I thought it will be a little creepy (and I'm a bit hesitant to read it during the night), but no... it's not creepy at all even though it mentions a lot about ghosts. It was actually amazing how the author created a world full of ghosts and yet doesn't give you the creepy feeling... nothing like that at all. Instead, what I felt is purely excitement--for Aura and Zach, sadness--for Aura and Logan. I felt mixture of emotions when I read this book. It was fun and exciting to read especially when it's about Aura and Zach. Their wit and humor kept me entertained. I can't tell you how much I giggled when they're together! Aura's thoughts about Zach made me laugh all the time! And yeah, what kind of dork notices ankles? Seriously? I DO! ;)

Now I understand what TeamKilt means! lol! And I'm loving the Scottish accent too! But since I read this book to meet Zach, I never thought that I would end up loving not only one guy but two! I can't tell you yet who I love the most--Logan or Zach. I love them both!

I tell you, it's not all the time that I find a good heroine even though a book is good. And I'd say, Aura is one of my most favorite heroines. The author created a character that not only possess beauty but also has depth and strong personality. I like the way she express herself, not liberated but not too conservative either. She's real and I like how she deals with everything in her life, and most importantly, she's not annoying.

I don't know how I could write my emotions as exactly as how I feel it, but I hope somehow I gave this book even a little justice. It was intriguing and engrossing at the same time. I couldn't put it down the moment I started reading. I was on the verge of tears every time I read about Aura and Logan. It's just so so sad that I'm always teary-eyed. If I wasn't reading this book with my son and hubby on my side last night, I'm sure I cried a lot. I'm too emotional and I'm not really good at saying good bye, no matter how. There are just things that we can no longer possess even though they were once ours. This story is so good--sad and heartbreaking, but hauntingly beautiful.
on January 31, 2011
The story begins with an unsure Aura, racing to her boyfriend's house. Why is she unsure? All sixteen year old girls are insecure about their relationships, but Logan, Aura's boyfriend is a huge egomaniac or diva as they call him and musician who gives the audience all they want and more. So, he has groupies and we all know what groupies do. And Aura and Logan have never done that before. But it's his seventeenth birthday and Aura is going to give him the perfect birthday present, herself. The band has a gig where two record execs show up and both want to sign them, but they can't because of Logan being under eighteen. So they head home to the after party at Logan's house where he gets drunk and on top of that drinks something called Liquid Stupid. It's so potent that his finger and toes start to go numb and of course he can't perform. He can't even properly kiss Aura. She yells and gets mad at him so he takes a little packet our of the drawer saying it's a sample of shampoo and he goes to the bathroom to take a cold shower and wake up. Moments later he appears at the foot of the bed, a violet hued ghost. Aura can see ghosts. Anyone born after a certain time can. She is broken hearted and doesn't believe it, She throws her shirt back on inside out and backwards then runs to the bathroom where his brother and sister are performing CPR and his little brother is running to get their father's defibrillator. But it's too late once you're a ghost. And that's when Aura sees the white lines of cocaine on the bathroom counter. He used cocaine after all the alcohol. Of course he's dead. But she doesn't understand why he didn't cross over.

In the meantime, she's got a sexy Scottish partner for a thesis project that requires them to be alone in the dark. She loves his accent and the further from Logan's death she gets, the more attracted she is to her partner Zach. They each have big secrets they are keeping from each other, though and until they come out they can't really become close. Zach knows she is sleeping with Logan's ghost, but of course they can't do anything. Logan's family are like walking zombies. Only his little brother can see him and Logan is starting to go Shade where a ghost becomes so angry and filled with rage that it becomes black and can hide in the shadows. No one can track it and it can go anywhere it wants, whereas regular ghosts are violet in color and can only visit places they've been before. To top all of that off, Logan's parents are suing the record company that gave Logan the cocaine and Aura will have to testify as to what she was doing in the room with Logan the night he died.

Smith-Ready builds likable characters-all of them. Logan, Zach and Aura are the most fully fleshed out but there are a few extras that have minor roles such as Aura's best friend Megan. Every one's motivations are clear. Aura's Aunt Gina wants her to move on because she's been through a similar experience and knows it will only end in heartache. Logan loves her, selfishly, he can't even touch her, he can't protect her, he can't do anything but talk to her. Zach on the other hand can do more and wants to, but he wants her completely, without her still attached to Logan. And Aura, she just wants to help Logan cross over. Whatever it takes. But she's not sure how and she wants to find out what caused the Shift. But it seems like that will all be answered in another book called Shift which I can hardly wait for! It comes out in early May of next year according to Amazon. I read this novel in a few hours, alternating between tears and laughter and feeling Aura's pain. I even felt some of Logan's pain but my favorite character was Zach because he told her he was patient, but "no' a saint.' I love that accent. I also loved that Logan was Irish and Zach was Scottish. That rivalry might come up, later, too. You will not be disappointed with this novel. Descriptions are crisp, people are likable and the plot thickens as you go along. It's up there with Paranormalcy, The Duff, Torment and Tyger, Tyger as this years top favorites. Oh, and Speak. But I think that one should be in a class by itself.
on January 20, 2013
After seeing Shade around the blogosphere this past year, I finally decided to give this ghost story a chance. My decision may or may not have been severely affected by all of the Team Kilt love during the YA Crush Tourney over the summer, but hey. At least I decided to give the series a chance. This is a book that I've actually owned since I first bought my kindle. so it was a fairly convenient read.... and a good one at that.

The world that Jeri Smith Ready has created is so unique and different from anything I've ever read. I don't necessarily believe in ghosts (but who really believes in any of the paranormal creatures they read about), so at first I had a hard time getting into the story, but once I got past that initial speed bump I was completely invested in the story. Normally, I don't like a confusing storyline but with Shade it just worked because not only is the reader in the dark - so are the characters.

Our main character, Aura, was a fantastic protagonist and I really enjoyed everything about her. She's indecisive, but really brave at the same time. I loved how she was just trying to figure things out, and I think if she hadn't have had all of the outside judgment she would have been able to figure things about much quicker then she did.

The dreaded love triangle showed it's face in Shade, but it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone has made it out to be. There's Logan, Aura's boyfriend who died of a drug overdose on his seventeenth birthday, and then there's Zach, the Scottish foreign exchange student. My heart broke for Logan and Aura, but at the same time I just wanted her to move on. I don't know. It's hard to explain without going into spoiler territory, but there's so much going on between these three... I need to know what happens next in the series.

Shade is a book you definitely don't want to miss. If you haven't started this series, I would recommend doing it immediately. And the best part is that all of the books have been released so you'll be able to read them all consecutively. Fans of paranormal romance novels will love this one.
on July 28, 2012
Wow. I absolutely loved this story. The premise/world was interesting to me (mysterious "Shift" happening 16 years ago allowing everyone born after that to see/interact with ghosts), and the writing was very well done. I have to say I was a complete emotional wreck during most of this book. I don't remember the last book that made me cry and/or choke up so often. I was a total mess reading this.

I'm not the biggest fan of love triangles, much less love triangles involving a ghost boyfriend, but it really worked in this book. I don't want to spoil with any details that aren't already in the teaser, so I will just say that I completely fell in love with both Logan and Zachary. Aura's relationship with each of them felt genuine. Logan and Aura's situation is truly heartbreaking, and it was very thought provoking to read about the aftermath of Logan's death. How do you move on from the death of your love when their ghost is literally haunting you? The circumstances surrounding Aura and Zachary's birth were fascinating, and I'm excited to read further and get some answers.

The story ended on an interesting note - and I can't wait to see what happens in the next book. I would highly recommend purchasing this book! I loved the writing and I can't even think of any characters that annoyed me. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series and checking out what else this author has written.
on March 27, 2012
It's a modern day world where people born after "the Shift" can see and talk to ghosts, whether they want to or not. Most of the ghosts are just trying to finish their unfinished business so they can pass on, and many people have taken to helping them, the government even has an agency that keeps them in check, in case they go bad (turn "Shade"). They've even developed ways to keep them away from places by "blackboxing" areas like schools, malls, houses, etc. with Obsidian, which is a material that can ward off ghosts.
The main character is Aura, who you learn is the first person born after "the Shift". She's basically a normal teen who doesn't really care for seeing ghosts, that ends up losing her boyfriend to an unfortunate event. Logan was a hard character for me to figure out whether I liked him or not. He's not complex or anything, it's just sometimes he can be really sweet, and he truly does care for and love Aura, but other times he is quite the drama queen and hothead, I was honestly waiting for him to turn Shade at any minute.
Zachary is the new guy, one that Aura is instantly drawn to, despite her love for Logan. You slowly see their connection and I do have a soft spot for him, typical nice guy. He also has something very special about him that will play a key part in the story.
Overall, it was a good book, certainly different from what's out there nowadays. Most of this book, the first in a trilogy, deals with Logan's death, how Aura and his friends and family cope with the loss, and their working together to help him move on. It wasn't totally captivating, but a good start to an interesting trilogy. I'm eager to see where exactly Smith-Ready is going with this.
on June 6, 2011
I've been meaning to read this for awhile now (along with her other series). With the chance to review the sequel, I finally got to it! I should have read it sooner.

I instantly liked Aura. She seems level headed. She has a great boyfriend who you can tell adores her. But, it's not a perfect relationship and we know this because they're fighting when the story opens. I also liked the she has a life outside of her boyfriend and his music. I was most intrigued by the idea of the Shift and Aura's ability to see ghosts. I wasn't sure how this worked until after Logan died.

Aura seems to be different that must kids/teens who can see ghosts. Most seem to try and drown them out. Aura is actually known for helping them fulfill their purpose to move on. With some many people being able to see ghosts, people like Aura actually help ghosts testify at trials and voice their wishes for funerals. Very rarely, do the interact with Shades. Aura has only seen 3 in her life. Shades are ghosts that have left their anger take over them. The government tries to capture ghosts before they turn Shade. Aura attracts unwanted attention because of who she is and because Logan is displaying some very Shade like tenancies.

Enter in Zackary, the sexy guy with the Scottish accent. He was born right before the Shift so he can't see ghosts. But, he has an interesting effect on Aura. The governments is interested in him as well. The three of them together make for an interesting love triangle. Plus, they may hold the key to why the Shift occurred.
As things come to ahead, we learn some interesting thing about Zachary and Aura and their connection. Logan also has ultimatum placed on him. He has to move on or risk containment forever. Aura struggles with her love for Logan and helping him move on and her feelings for Zachary who is very much alive. It was wonderfully built story that had me in suspense. The love interests were wonderfully done and I fully felt the difficulty Aura had in making a choice. I can't wait to read the sequel!
on May 18, 2011
I read this book over a week ago and I couldn't write the review until now. It was hard getting the words out that would do this book justice. This was one of those books that held you from the beginning to the end and had you on the edge of your seat wanting to find out what was going to happen next. I was in love with the characters from the beginning, the beginning of the story reminded me of the stupid things you do when you're a teen before you realize that there are serious consequences for your actions. The characters were beautifully written and you could completely relate to them.

The story was based on The Shift and the people who were born after it who could see the ghost lingering in our world and the people born before who could not. The story starts off tragically with the death of Aura's boyfriend Logan. Because she was born post-shift she was able to see his ghost after he died. This is where the heartaches begins, what would you do if you thought you lost a loved one, but then were able to still see them in ghost form. Would you hang on to what's left or would you try to help them and yourself move on?

Aura's mother died when she was young and all she has left of her is a diary with pages torn out. Her mother writes about Stonehenge and she decides that she would study this for her school project. She meets the swoon worthy Zachary who seems to understand everything she is dealing with. Aura struggles with dealing with her love for Logan and her magnetic attraction to Zach. Throughout the book there were tons of musical references and I loved it.

I felt Aura's anger, pain, suffering and I wept like a little girl. The story was beautifully written and I couldn't put it down until I read the last page which was a cliffhanger and then I grabbed my tablet and downloaded Shift.

I can't believe I didn't know about this series earlier, I am a fan for life now. I'm off to read Ms. Smith-Ready's adult series, Wicked Games.

[...]
on June 23, 2010
You know when you start reading a good book and each page makes your heart race faster? You rush through a page just so you can turn it quickly to see what happens next? Then you have to turn back just to read it again and make sure you didn't miss anything? Well that is this book! I will say that it has been a while since I have read a book that made me feel so many different emotions at once. While reading this on my kindle I took notes along the way. Here is what I wrote "Full of romance, mystery, and suspense. Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time! Makes you want to flip the pages faster; then you need to catch your breath. Some parts I would laugh out loud, then get teary eyed at the next page". I had to makes notes just so I could remember every detail; every emotion along the way. So how can a book do all of this at once? An amazing author!

Jeri Smith-Ready knows what it takes to grab a reader. From the beginning, Aura comes off as such an interesting character. She's beautiful, funny, smart, caring, and has been through a great deal of bad situations. She was the first (literally) born after the Shift, or the time when people can now see ghosts. Everyone born after the shift can see, hear, and talk to ghosts. Everyone born before, cannot. They have learned to live with this but it all has a new meaning once Aura's boyfriend Logan dies. Aura is faced with the reality of a haunted spirit and has to deal with all of the problems and emotions that go along with it.

After she meets a new guy in town, Zachary, she learns that maybe she can move on and love again. But is she ready? And what is that connection they seem to share automatically? This book will keep you guessing! Through Zachary's friendship and support Aura tries to figure out how to help Logan, without losing herself along the way. Even with all of the complications from Logan and Zachary, Aura is on another quest to find out the secrets her mother kept hidden, and how those secrets are related to her birth and the Shift.
I can't say enough good things about Shade. If you pick up one new book this month, pick this one!