Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 27 reviews
on December 29, 2015
A good book that shows the power of self ingratiating elites that circumvent democracy. The book leaves you wondering if these elites are only out for themselves what future do we have. Be very skeptical of any TV pundit even if they sound very rational and what advocacy they are pushing.
on November 25, 2014
I work for a very large bank and the author confirms what I see every day. Page 30 should be required reading for everyone in any kind of large business. In addition, this book should be on the required reading list of every civics course in public schools. It would be a real eye opener for the public that has allowed this Elite to overwhelm Public institutions. Highly recomended!
on October 22, 2016
The kind of book you almost wish you hadn't read, because you know it's accurate, and you realize the implications.

Highly recommended.
on May 22, 2013
A man walking in the desert is not cognoscent of what this environment constitutes until a word conceptualizes this environment, namely a desert and all that it entails, and it changes the way he looks at his surroundings.

This is the beauty of words and language, because they define our understanding of our world. Without understanding our surroundings we remain ignorant and our responses to our environment are limited and in many cases such as the Iraq war disastrous.

Janine R. Wedel showed me that my experience with the organizational and enforcement tactics of street gangs in New York City slums was the best business education I could get. She explains how chaotic conditions are the best opportunities a resourceful person can get to break into the elite world controlled by monopolistic streaks in capitalism or the nomenclature/clan controlled world of post-communism. I have seen it, participated in it and benefited from it!

What I didn't realize was that this world I swam in was a recent social and political development. Janine R. Wedel in her masterful "Shadow Elites" has enlightened me to this nefarious world of greed, amorality and in the extreme cases, of traitorous behavior in the "Shadow Elite".

She has done what Adam Smith in his Wealth of Nations did, namely describe to the unsuspecting public the obvious. She has named names and their odious supposedly saintly deeds, their methods and the evolution of today's political and business climate and their symbiosis.

She has given as an example the Trotskyist party in America in the forties and how it morphed into the Neo Cons of today. She describes their gaming of today's government, which led our Nation into a criminal enterprise, namely the second Iraq war.

She also gives as an example the Harvard University-Russian Mafia Nexus in the guise of Larry Summers of Harvard and Anatoly Chubais of Russia. I have seen that work in real life when I did business in 1991-93 in Ukraine, Poland and Russia.

She is the real thing. I can see a trained scholar of public policy and anthropology. Her training and perceptive abilities are on par with Tocqueville.
on March 7, 2015
While this book does not present necessarily new material, I considered it thought provoking and tragically omniscient about the present state of world affairs. Sardonically, this book tries to alleviate the current state of affairs by using terms like "truthiness," as coined by Stephen Colbert.
on October 24, 2015
Excellent if unsurprising. Much of the same throughout the book, but that doesnt take away the powerful information.
on October 16, 2013
SHE IS ON THE MONEY............CORRUPTION ON WALL STREET AND WASHINGTON DC IS RAMPANT.............
I AM SURPRISE AN HONEST BOOK GOT PUBLISHED
on January 16, 2017
Although this book does neither does History nor Theory well, it offers a very powerful perspective which describes the origins and motivations of the power structures which have motivated and facilitated extremely significant world historical events in the past 25 years.
on April 14, 2011
A very interesting book. One would assume that the present ruling "elite" are the politicians, government bureaucrats. media pundits and academia ideologues. The author points out at the government "subcontractors" who represent another group, much less visible, of the elite that rules us, yet very important.
on December 5, 2010
Well written and readable text, thought-provoking, and timely. The author observes things happening now and names names with all of her observations substantiated in facts. The book isn't politically biased, but looks at what is happening in our country with respect to our nation and the world scene. She writes about occurrences that are never reported in the news or, if they are, what they actually mean. I've been reading it at bedtime and it's not disturbing my sleep.