Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 32 reviews
on July 22, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed the plot and the romance in this novel. I love finding a great book you don't want to stop reading and this one fit the bill. Yes, it was dark at times but it made the story all the better. Kudos to the author for such a great read.
on January 23, 2011
Meagan Hatfield's novel is an amazing story of power, betrayal, and passion, with a cast of emotionally driven characters. Hatfield has created her own paranormal Romeo and Juliet by crafting a tale about two people destined to be together, yet everything and everyone working to tear them apart.

Shadow of the Vampire is the story of two facets of power...Declan as King of the Dragons and Alexia as Princess to the vampires. Both are fighting for a crystal with supernatural powers. The vampires and the dragons believe this crystal is a source of the ultimate control and power of their universe. When the dragons finally get the crystal in there control Declan is kidnaped by the vampires. Alexia wishes for Declan to reveal the location of the crystal, but she will only go so far to obtain it. Her mother's consort, Lotharus, isn't so benevolent and has no limits on the torture he will put the dragon through until the location of the crystal is revealed.

Declan is prepared to die in his prison, vowing to never reveal the location of the crystal. Alexia on the other hand, is facing an inner struggle with all the events taking place around her. She doesn't trust Lotharus, and worries he is plotting a takeover to be ruler of the Vampires. Meanwhile, her mother is suffering bouts of amnesia and becoming very ill. Alexia's ascension to be Queen of the Vampires is days away, and despite all of this, she still find herself drawn to the dragon lord, her sworn enemy.

In the writing world of everything paranormal, dragons are one species that is not very popular. So the setup of a vampire and a dragon was a concept that brought something new and original and was very enjoyable. In most paranormal series, you are familiar with the vampires, the shapeshifters and other creatures of lore, but rarely get to see into the world of dragons. With that being said, not only were the dragons enjoyable to read about but their King Declan, was a perfect hero. He was a passionate strong man, who you knew immediately would be impossible to break. He didn't want the crystal for power, but rather to keep it safe and hopefully work towards a time of peace with the vampires. His heart is always in the right place as were his priorities. Declan always values the lives of his people before himself.
____________________
"So, you're telling me you choose to be shackled in a hovel of a dungeon? And for what? To die as some martyr to a cause no one will remember?"

"No, I sit, shackled in a dungeon, surrounded by the corpses of my kin, for the slight spark of hope that my sacrifice can make a difference. That our kind still has a place in this modern world." Her gaze softened and he made an effort to strip the harsh tone from his voice. "If I don't believe that, then the future of dragon, vampire, man alike will be different and perhaps wiped out forever. That is something I will not allow to take place as long as I draw breath on this earth."
___________________

Alexia is very similar to Declan in all the right ways. She is a strong, passionate female who is trying to learn the best ways she can help her people when she becomes Queen. Lotharus has hurt Alexia in the past, so she can sympathize with Declan as a prisoner and victim of Lortharus' wrath. She sees what her mother's lover is becoming and knows she wants nothing to do with it...knows that is not the way to rule her people. She is a smart, intelligent Princess who see beyond the lies to the truth.

Alone, Alexia and Declan are strong but together they are unstoppable. Their story is the odd version of Romeo and Juliet. These two people who are forbidden to be together, but don't know if they can stand to be apart. They both have duties to their people, their history and yet they must decide where their hearts really lie. Their story was both passionate and heartbreaking. You go on this roller coaster ride of emotions with them, hoping for the best outcome. There are twists and turns, with a few surprises along the way, and you will enjoy every minute of it.

Overall, the book was a great read. The beginning was a bit slow, but about 50 pages in, the book really picks up and doesn't stop. So whatever you do, don't quit on this book. Invest into the first few chapters and you will be rewarded by the time you reach the last page. If you are a fan of paranormal romance, you cannot go wrong with Shadow of A Vampire. If you're looking for a new world, with new brilliant characters, this is the book for you. Her secondary characters made quiet an impression, so I look forward to reading their stories in the future.

Overall Rating: 4/5
Heat Level: 4/5

Lisa@ Once Upon A Chapter
VINE VOICEon October 31, 2010
Hello folks,
I am re-reading books that I have on my Kindle, and I wanted to write a review on this little gem. By now we have seen it all with PNR romances- the weres and the Breeds, the vamps and the magic(k). What makes this particular one stand out?

We have a heavily action oriented book- if you like your action scenes to be a neat and today one pager every few chapters, this is NOT the book for you. We have non stop action till the very end of the book, and it actually goes with the story line.

Now sometimes authors forget the romance in the PNR genre, however this one delivers. We have steamy scenes- yet not gratuitous sex. I really felt like I was witnessing two people falling in love with each other.

Another huge like for me was the fact that there were no silly misunderstandings and no too stupid to live heroine moments. I like being able to read a romance for what it's worth without having silly conflicts.

Now I can see where some readers can get overwhelmed by too many action scenes and conflicts in the plot. The issues with Alexia's mother and crazy BF, well that was a clear danger that was always in the back of my mind and to an extent it detracted from the romance. I kept expecting crazy BF to show up - which he did!- and that always took me from romance mode back to action. I think that is the root of the pacing issues and confusion that some readers had issues with.

All in all, it's a great start to the series and I heartily recommend it.
on November 1, 2014
All 3 books in this series are equally great!
on January 21, 2012
I listened to this book as an audio book for about 80% and read the remaining 30%. The narrator of the audio book, Genvieve Bevier, was spot on. She did an outstanding job narrating various male, female, and accented voices. You hardly noticed at all that the story was being narrated by one person.

The story was very reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet.........dragon and vampire style. Declan and Alexia were compelling characters. You were drawn into their emotions, their plight, their confusion, and finally their love.

A very enjoyable read!
on December 15, 2011
I really enjoyed this book! Normally I just stick to scifi, but the romantic element had a draw to it. Take it for what it is...a break from reality. I stayed up late and read it in two days. Declan and Alexia suck you right into their unusual relationship. And I did like the other characters...thinking perhaps more background will be shared in the next book about Tallon, Griffon, and Falcon. Thanks, Go To Guy's Wife
on July 9, 2010
I thought this book was engaging, sexy and fun to read. I can't wait for the next book.