Your Memberships & Subscriptions
Shadowborn Academy: Year One (Dark Fae Academy Series Book 1) Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
- I am loving this writing duo between Gem and Scarlett!!! This is the 2nd book of theirs that I have read and it is fantastic!!! Granted they have only released 2 co-writes so far, but I've still read all of them. ★★★★★
- The world building is phenomenal and so detailed that I found myself easily lost in the world they have created. The characters are all intriguing in their own way and each bring something a little different to the story. So much happened in this story that I never felt as if the story was dragging on or I was losing interest. The entire story was so thrilling and captivating that I flew through this book in just a few hours.★★★★★
- This book was everything!!! 2 of my favorite authors coming together to create an amazing first book in this new series. You have Corvina who is a Shadowborn who usually die in terrible ways to become this. She is sent to an academy with her best friend to unlock her dark magic. She doesn't know who to trust, and when I tell you I was on the edge of my seat the whole time!!! Awesome book!! Well done ladies. ★★★★★
- They done it again! I'm am astounded, like I love both of them as authors like when I saw that they were going to be co-authoring a book together?!??!! I was already jumping with anticipation of the book that they were going to make and I wasn't let down at all. It was an awesome book hands down like the other series that they write which are also my absolute favs. :) I cannot wait for more to come with this series. It got me going and reading that I couldn't put the book down I'm ready for the second that's for sure! ★★★★★
- This was soooooo good I loved every bit of it, the whole book just has you right from the start and you can't stop you need to keep reading to know what happens next, very good story and very gripping, loved it and the cliffhanger OMFG waiting till March is gonna be crazy because I can't wait to find out what's next. A must read for sure, definitely recommend it. ★★★★★
- I love this book and this ticks all the boxes. Grabs your attention from the opening scene - check. Great FMC - love the combination of strength, sass and kickassness - check Storyline / setting - What a world these authors have created - double check. Not only do I highly recommend, but can't wait for book #2. ★★★★★
- ASIN : B082FRWFGB
- Publication date : December 22, 2019
- Language : English
- File size : 722 KB
- Text-to-Speech : Enabled
- Screen Reader : Supported
- Enhanced typesetting : Enabled
- X-Ray : Enabled
- Word Wise : Enabled
- Print length : 211 pages
- Lending : Enabled
- Best Sellers Rank: #21,535 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
me this was nearly unreadable. The romance/sex aspects were way over done. Nearly every male character in the book is sexy, or gorgeous ect. Every single one. And the main character can’t help but notice and won’t stop talking about it. Even an older white haired professor is described as a “sexy Santa Claus”. It’s painful to read. These characters flirt non stop. It all takes away from the story and any meaningful relationships between characters
Maybe if you are a preteen girl this could be for you, but it’s certainly not for me If you are looking for a fantasy school setting with cool shadow magic and a strong female character try the Nevernight Chronicles. Another decent series is The Magicians Brother series, which also is shadow magic and magic school. That has a male lead and is a bit lighter hearted and does the teenage romance thing right were the romance is a side plot and the main character isn’t just some horny kid.
The world building is phenomenal and so detailed that I found myself easily lost in the world they have created. The characters are all intriguing in their own way and each bring something a little different to the story. So much happened in this story that I never felt as if the story was dragging on or I was losing interest. The entire story was so thrilling and captivating that I flew through this book in just a few hours.
I have read so many of Scarlett’s books and this is probably the tamest one I have read. There isn’t any dark elements to it that she is well known for but I think that just goes to show how amazing she is as an author by being able to put on different hats when writing and creating unique stories every time. I have read several of Gem’s books as well and she always has the creativity to craft a truly unique and original story. I love both of them as authors but when the 2 come together, they create perfection!!!! 😍
I loved all the characters in this book and I’m glad that the main character had a good support system and friends. Most academy books usually have the female lead being an outcast without any friends and is constantly bullied but that isn’t what happens here so it was refreshing to read. Pitch actually intrigued me the most mostly because of who he is to Vina during a majority of the book plus his history is still a mystery. I am eager to learn more about Pitch. I love Gage and Zander but I’m still on the fence about Jonah.
I would definitely consider this to be a slow burn since the reverse harem hasn’t really been established yet. I cannot wait to read the next book in this series because I’m curious as to what happens with all of them now. I cannot recommend this book enough to lovers of RH!!!
I will say that the transition between the authors was more apparent than it should have been. There were a lot of inconsistent things that kept changing. Fair amount of edits needed, it kept taking me out of the story. It was unusual for these authors, not sure if it was because they rushed towards the end to get this out before Christmas? Also things weren't explained in the beginning so a lot of references were lost on me. Then like at like 25-30% of the book, background info was given but just sorta dumped on the reader.
I will be giving book 2 a try when its out in a couple months because the story is great and I need to know what happens next. Hopefully some of the things will be ironed out/there are less inconsistencies.
Top reviews from other countries
the interactions between the male characters were too childish, too instant attraction and not in a good a way but a random none cohesive way. the story needs development. It's a shame cuz it had potential.
I feel like this authors books are a hit or miss with me, some I really enjoy others I feel like u wrote them over a weekend.
Very unlikely that i would be the next one, which is a shame because parts of it was interesting.
Shadowborn Academy: Year One (Dark Fae Academy #1)
This is a dark fae tale full of heartache, distrust & betrayal. Corvina (Vina) is with her best friend, Sage, as they're moved to the Shadowborn Academy. They're both quite powerful but Vina is exceptional, she doesn't know just how much she contains! They end up as friends with a few different new classmates. Vina connects especially well with 3 males that she probably shouldn't. She's protected by Pitch, he was directly involved in her demise & becoming a Shadowborn! She's never sure he's real though as no-one else can see him.😔
Throughout the year they're tasked with a goal in teams of four. They desperately want to win!🙏 Something sinister is going on, students are going missing.😲 Will they be able to figure out what's happening & who's behind it? Will everyone make it & can she really trust those closest to her??😱
An ok storyline but it's a bit wishy washy with it's details at time. I like the concept very much so I'm hopeful book #2 will be an improvement on this one!🙏
Debbie, 1970, UK