- Audio CD (October 10, 2000)
- SPARS Code: ADD
- Number of Discs: 1
- Format: Import, Original recording reissued
- Label: Harmonia Mundi Fr.
- ASIN: B00004TVGW
- Average Customer Review: 4.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (7 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #105,562 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
Shakespeare Songs & Consort Music Import, Original recording reissued
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Recorded in 1970, this work cannot be surpassed. Well worth adding to any collection.
The originality of this recording is the voice of Alfred Deller himself. He is not any countertenor and he favors the sad, nostalgic, or mournful tone that fits his voice perfectly. We could think he has only one tone. It is true in this recording. And I must say he does it so beautifully, with so much emotion and heartfelt truth that we feel as if Shakespeare was always using that painful and awesome tone. It is true Romeo and Juliet is a drama and that color fits it.Read more ›
Two things to note about this recording that may influence your decision to buy or not:
1) Most of the songs are sung by countertenor accompanied by lute. For many this is an automatic turnoff, but just wait a moment. Instead of running away when you hear that high voice, sit down and listen to it for a while. Just give it a chance, and it'll make its own case. In all likelihood, you'll be a fan after fifteen minutes; if not, there's no accounting for taste, but you should either find another recording, or buy it just for the amazing polyphonic songs which feature some big booming "man" voices.
2) Not all of these songs are settings of words written by Shakespeare or mentioned in the plays. Roughly a third are popular songs of the day that probably would have been used here and there in the plays (normal stage practice of the time used loads of music that wasn't necessarily scripted).
If you've made it through all this tiresome text and you're still interested, you will love this recording. Buy it and enjoy it!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The singing was very affected, a bit screechy and not melodic. I have heard better renditions. I will not be purchasing any more songs from this group.Published on September 30, 2009 by Shinobi Ronin
A beautifully recorded selection of material from Shakespeare's plays plus some other contemporary pieces that would have worked the room if that room were The Globe. Read morePublished on April 4, 2009 by Marcus Aurelius
Look for Similar Items by Category
- CDs & Vinyl > Classical > Chamber Music
- CDs & Vinyl > Folk
- CDs & Vinyl > Opera & Classical Vocal > Vocal Non-Opera > Motets
- CDs & Vinyl > Opera & Classical Vocal > Vocal Non-Opera > Songs & Lieder > Folk Songs
- CDs & Vinyl > Opera & Classical Vocal > Vocal Non-Opera > Songs & Lieder > Madrigals
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Vocal Pop