Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
HALL OF FAMEon June 13, 2007
This Sharp microwave oven, with 1 c.f. of total capacity and about 0.8 c.f. of usable capacity (according to Consumer Reports), is a great performer. It heats food quickly and for the most part evenly. The turntable turns automatically and alternates between clockwise and counterclosewise turns. There's a lightbulb inside that lights up when you open the door or when the microwave is operating. The heat output is rated at 1100W, which is usually the power assumed by most microwave heating instructions on food packages - a great convenience.

There was a story I read a few years ago that looked into microwave oven safety, and Sharp came out ahead. So I feel confidend that this microwave oven, assembled in Thailand, should also be one of the safest. Of course, you should keep at least 7 inches away from the oven when its magnetron is generating microwaves, just to be totally safe. One guy complained about the "loud" door; yes, but it's designed to be safe. I'd never trade safety for a flimsy, "easier" door.

The LCD display is always backlit (in green), which is really nice, esp. if you, like I, use the LCD as a clock and also as a timer. (Clock is am-pm-agnostic 12-hour type, while timer has a maximum countdown of 99:99.) The Minute Plus feature is extremely convenience. The keys beep when you press them, but the beep and that "cooking finished" long beep can be turned off easily. You can also invoke a "safe" mode so that the buttons don't work, kind of like a "hold" feature on audio players -- great for families with kids who like to fiddle with appliances.

My only complaint is, like all Asian electronics companies, Sharp pays little attention to the user-friendliness of the unit. The keys all look the same and are about the same size. While they are responsive, sometimes you need to hunt for the keys you want to press. The End and Start keys, in particular, should have been made to stand out. Also, unlike many other Sharp models, this one requires you to press the Power button multiple times instead of just pressing a numeric button to specify a power level. Finally, the reheat/cook button works ridiculously complicated. All these anti-user features detract a full star from an otherwise really excellent appliance.

The all-black finish looks great and the oven fits well under most kitchen cabinets. I do recommend this oven despite the ergonomic issues mentioned above. For me, Sharp microwave ovens' reliability reputation, safety record and Minute Plus convenience are reason enough to recommend them highly.
on May 7, 2007
I purchased this oven to replace one that I had for about 5 years. The LED panel went on it. I saw this oven and liked the size and power but most of all needed it to fit a particular sized footprint. It arrived and fit perfectly and the power is just great. The "only" thing I don't like and it's very minor is that the door shuts with a loud bang. Other than that it works like a charm with the many settings. Perfect for warming up coffee or syrup. I love it and would recommend for the money.
on November 3, 2007
I had the older version of this microwave. I owned that for about 8 years and the panel with the digital buttons, numbers burned out. So I could never see what time I programmed in. The door kept getting stuck closed too. For the price and the wear, it is a great product, that is why I chose to buy another one. I have had it for 6 months or so and it is so similar to my other one, I needed no instruction. It is very easy to use, and durable. Very good power for a smallish microwave. Go for it!!
on June 12, 2010
Recalling how fast Amazon ships on book orders I naively believed the same would apply to a microwave oven. Forget it. And not only was delivery slow it was late. A product made in Japan was shipped to Los Angeles from New York state. Go figure. Does Amazon provide this kind of shipping info before you order? No. Now to top it all off the product is flawed: the exterior of the control keypad is apparently a piece of plastic stuck onto the underlying surface, which has since developed air bubbles that will not go away. It looks shoddy; it feels shoddy. Recommendations: 1) Don't buy small appliances through Amazon; 2) Don't buy this microwave oven.
on May 12, 2007
The unit performs extremely well, it meets or exceeds my needs. I only have one things that bugs me and that is the start and cancel button are in the middle of all of the controls and are hard to see if you wear glasses or have poor sight. I think the start button should be more visible.
on January 9, 2007
Our microwave went out and this was the replacement. It is just what we wanted and needed. The company was excellent to deal with.
44 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question