Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,352 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,526 reviews
on August 19, 2016
So the dark pens cover up pencil marks. It's ok for pens, but I recommend using them to underline things. The lighter highlighters are fine, you can see pencil. My problem is with the yellow highlighter, the one I believe most people use the most. It smears like crazy. Some of the lighter ones smeared very little on pencil, but the yellow highlighter smeared on all the different writing tools I used. I tried it out on mechanical pencil, regular pencil, black pen, and gel pens. If they are going to advertise for smear guard, they really need to concentrate on the one that's used the most, that's why I docked an additional star. Will I return them? Nope. They are decent highlighters, though I think some of Sharpies other highlighters are better.
The highlighter bled just slightly through the other side of the paper, but it didn't get to paper behind it.
review image
on September 6, 2013
I love the retractable feature, but four of the eight colors are too dark for everyday highlighting. I mainly purchased this product to give myself greater color variety, but unfortunately, the colors that I was most interested in (purple, red) are unusable.

Pros:
(+)Retractable feature is great so I don't have to recap when switching colors.
(+)Good width for highlighting text.
(+)As promised, it doesn't smear.

Cons:
(-)Too dark. The purple and dark blue are WAY to dark to read easily. You can still read the words, but it's hard on the eyes and they don't jump off the page they way they should with a highlighter. The green and red are a little better, but only for very occasional use. I have another green highlighter that is significantly lighter and works better than this one. Essentially, I feel like I will only use 4 of the 8 colors on a regular basis.
(-)The writing on the pens rubs off and gets on hands. As another reviewer suggested, I wiped off all of the writing with a tissue. But if I was the manufacturer, I would be embarrassed that the phrase "smear guard" rubs off on the user's hands.
(-)The retractable feature is a little loud. Not a problem if you're studying at home or in a coffee shop, but if I was in a lecture hall or quiet library, it could get annoying for those around me.

Overall, the design is great but the 8-color pack is a waste. I wish I had just purchased Sharpie Accent Retractable Assorted 5 Pack
on March 2, 2011
I've been using sharpie's retractable highlighters for a while because I got tired of capping-and-recapping highlighters all the time. Old version of this suffered from a design flaw that the button is hard to push down and extended use made me feel like i was about to get thumb arthritis. The old version, without "smear guard", also suffered from ink bleeding onto the other page when you close the book. These two problems have been addressed in the new version. The button is now earlier to press down, though still a little bit hard. The most significant difference is the smear guard, which dries much faster than the old ink. Thus no more bleeding!

Overall happy with the purchase. Probably the only kind of highlighter i'd use for a long time to come.
on April 18, 2016
For some reason, I have a problem with highlighters. I pull off the cap to highlight my books, papers, etc, and lose it. I love retractable pens because I don't have to worry about losing the lids...so I don't know what took me so long to buy these retractable highlighters!

Coming from Sharpie, I knew they would be fantastic. They lived up to my expectations too. They work great in highlighting important passages and words in the notes I take, without being too bold or bleeding through the paper. I sometimes use them in my planner too to separate different tasks for the day. Love the assortment of fun colors!
on September 2, 2017
I LOVE LOVE LOVE sharpie pens. I use them all of the time and I really like color and not just black. I was excited to see these in a great price but I used them and found the marker to be so light that I cant see what I wrote. Although as a highlighter it is fine.
JUST NOTE.....THESE ARE HIGHLIGHTERS NOT MARKERS.
i should not have assumed they were pens. They work fine as a highlighter. The dark ones work as a marker so there really used in 2 ways for me!!
on March 3, 2015
As a student, I needed to find a bright yellow highlighter that didn't fade after awhile on the page and lasted a long time since I read a lot of books. These are great! I first bought the pack with different colors, but I use yellow the most so I bought this pack. I found that the other colors tend to bleed through pages while the yellow doesn't - unless you hold it at one spot of course. The retractability is also a plus; however, if you tend to study with other people around, make sure you don't start playing with it out of habit as the clicks are pretty loud and may start to annoy people.

The only downside is that the ink on the pen itself smudged onto my hands. At first, I was so confused because I didn't know where black ink was coming from when I was using colored highlighters. HAHA! But then I realized it was the ink itself that is used to place the brand name and whatnot on the pen itself. I believe it's the warmth of my hand that made the ink loosen. So I held each pen for a little bit and then used a Bounty Paper Towel to rub it all off. Problem Solved! :D

Overall, I haven't had a problem with these highlighters drying up too fast. They work well and last for a long time in my opinion and the width of the tip itself is perfect.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2016
This product works great! I'm a teacher using it to stay organized for the school year. I love that it has 8 different colors for all my different classes, study halls, etc. Definitely worth it to help my executive functioning skills. All the colors are easy to read through and write on.
review image
on June 17, 2013
These are really expensive at you local box chain. The price was reasonable. The tips seem dry initially but after a little use they will soften a bit and work great. Sharpie claims no bleeding but there is always some, especially if the paper is a little shiny (like textbook paper), so be careful there. I found that I was blotting almost everything I was highlighting. But then again I was expecting that. On softer or more porous paper I found it absorbs well into the paper and doesn't smear. Just be aware when highlighting on smooth paper your gel pen will smudge.
This is a great deal, very happy I purchased this giant pack of yellow highlighters. Definitely worth the price.
on March 7, 2015
Easily my favorite highlighter overall. I was originally a Staedtler textsurfer highlighters kind of girl (saturated colors, clean lines, no-smudge), but the incredible on-the-go functionality of these highlighters made them a staple for me. Not a fan of having to fumble with caps when i'm in a rush.

Pros
- bright yellow color
- good width - slightly larger than a line of 12-pt text
- portability - no messing with caps, easy clips for professional lab coats

Cons
- potential to put highlighter away without clicking it down. I did it with a labcoat and didnt realize till half my chest and arm were covered with highlighers. Luckily it washed out
on May 17, 2012
I bought these highlighter for not taking in college class and a must say I am very pleased. The retractable part is much better than traditional capped markers, and I must say that after many weeks of use they are not drying out. I also haven't had any break, even though sometimes I tend to abuse a clicker when I am thinking. Lastly with the pluses I haven't had any problems with ink smearing. I do, of course, wait until the ink drys to highlight something. I do not highlight a paper right after it comes out of a printer, and practice the same restraint when I just hand wrote something with an ink pen. Now onto the negative. I knew going into buy these that they were going to be thinner than a standard highlighter, but I still wish they had as fat of an end as a standard. I find myself running over words often times more than once, where as with a standard a nice think line covers most standard fonts. The bigger problem I have is with the color selection. They would have been better to keep off the darker blue and purple and through in extra yellow (or one of the other light colors).

Pros:
+Retractability (new word) works and makes these markers simpler and more convenient.
+Markers don't dry out.
+Markers don't appear to smear any ink medium.
+Great amazon price and shipping.

Cons:
-Thinner tip than standard highlighter
-Blue and Purple are two dark.

Overall I feel this is a great buy and give it 4 stars.