She: A History of Adventure (Modern Library Classics) Kindle Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
- Highlight, take notes, and search in the book
- Length: 368 pages
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled
- Page Flip: Enabled
Matchbook Price: $1.99
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
- Thousands of books are eligible, including current and former best sellers.
- Look for the Kindle MatchBook icon on print and Kindle book detail pages of qualifying books. You can also see more Kindle MatchBook titles here or look up all of your Kindle MatchBook titles here.
- Read the Kindle edition on any Kindle device or with a free Kindle Reading App.
- Print edition must be purchased new and sold by Amazon.com.
- Gifting of the Kindle edition at the Kindle MatchBook price is not available.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
On Leo's 25th birthday, Horace and Leo open the chest and in it they discover that Leo is part of a historic lineage which goes back to the ancient Egyptians. They also discover that everlasting life can be found off the coast of Africa by bathing in a magical fire. They soon venture to the hidden area to discover an ancient race of cannibalistic people who are lead by Ayesha, otherwise known as She. She is a very beautiful temptress and has the secret to everlasting life. Also, she was in love with Leo's family centuries ago. When Leo arrives, She is much smitten with him.
This book was well written and the adventure well thought out. The level of detail that Haggard uses to describe the Amahagger's (the tribe Leo and Holly discover) were extraordinary. She is easily understood to be a sophisticated woman who has strong powers of life and death over her subjects. However, I found the book a little hard to read. The lengthy paragraphs that detailed the Amahagger society were not needed and slowed the pace of the book. Still not a bad adventure book but the pace kept being diverted by lengthy descriptions.
This particular edition is good for it contains an excellent introduction by Professor D. Karlin with extensive and helpful notes. Karlin makes it clear that the book is a sort of fantasy within a fantasy and the joke is usually on us. It's contents are so "out there" that the author is at pains to state "every word is true" through his chosen first person mouthpiece, and he adds several details that makes the book's events plausible while you are in it.
The book is a masterpiece of archetypes including the Anima, acient civilization and archaeology, exploration, hunting and Africa as she used to be. It further represents the last mysterious possibilities that could be squeezed out of a world whose potential to amaze was fast disappearing due to the advent of transport and exploration. It is an old fashioned Indiana Jones type epic with explorers making a big discovery that could shake the British Empire to its very core.
The elements come from Haggard's own association and love of Africa (he includes the extinct Quagga one of the descriptions)
and his contact with an angelic woman with whom his fascination was was not satiated as he was married already.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
If you are a fan of modern fantasy you need to read this book. Indiana Jones is a poor imitation even though Indiana Jones is great.Published 7 days ago by Thomas Adam L.
Racist,classist, a chore to get through. The behavior of "She" was often inconsistent with the storyline. Read morePublished 19 days ago by otrbarb
SHE, by author G.A .Sands, takes the reader on an international journey as a female assassin goes on assignments. Read morePublished 19 days ago by RLSFL
Written from a first person perspective, this is a very entertaining fantasy adventure. I can see where this story has served as a starting point for many of today's fantasy... Read morePublished 1 month ago by txvolfan
A fantastic story, filled with mystery and adventure. Men, beware the power of the woman. Women, be careful what you reach to obtain.Published 1 month ago by Guy Bernard
She must be obeyed and it's off to a great start. Action jungle, tears ,love ,intelligence and stiffneckedness. She kills,lives and loves foreverPublished 2 months ago by A. Glatt
My husband recommended this book to hopefully change my opinion of Haggard. Opinion changed! I blame it on retirement. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Kindle Customer
An intriguing novel, though a bit drawn out and predictable. Not as good as King Solomon's Mine but worth the read as a classic adventure novel.Published 2 months ago by Jim McDaniel
Read it in high school 100 years ago and enjoyed it even more this time for so many reasons.Published 2 months ago by claudia
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Women's Adventure
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Women's Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Classics > British & Irish
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Classics > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Movements & Periods > Victorian
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Classics