Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shea Terra Organics - Rose Hips Black Soap Deep Pore Facial Wash & Mask - 4 oz.
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports STEM

on June 5, 2012
Ready for the softest skin of your life?

I heard about this soap through a make-up video blogger who was a model on a shoot I photographed. She was very enthusiastic about this product, so I had to give it a try. This black soap is amazing, and probably unlike anything you've tried before if you are used to conventional face washes. This stuff really breaks down dead skin and works as a mild micro-dermabrasion. Your face will literally be squeaky clean when you finish using it. I found that using it daily was at times too much for my skin, and I would peel a little bit. So expect a bit of experimenting to find out what works best for you. I use it about 3 times a week. (I also use the Moroccan mint black soap on the days I don't use the Rose Hips soap. The mint version - which they now market as a body wash - is a bit milder and I like the minty tingle.)

This soap (which really is black) has a thick, jelly like consistency. You only need a small amount, but note that it will not lather like a traditional facewash. It doesn't really need to lather to work, but some people find it more satisfying to see lather. If you are one of those people, follow these instructions:

-Start with a dry face/hands. This is key, people are using way too much water, and when you add a lot of water to something that's like a jelly, the product just ends up in your sink.

- Pump a nickle-sized amount of product into your palm, rub it a bit so it breaks down, and then use your fingers to start working it into your face. As you rub the soap, it will break down from a thick, jelly-like consistency, to something that resembles mud. Get it to that muddy point on a couple spots on your face. You are not using any water at this point.

- This stuff is thick, so you'll still have some left on your palm. Now add just a few drops of water. You only need a tiny amount of water! Lather the soap in your palm until you have a good amount of later, and then apply that to your face. From here on out, just work the product into your face and add a tiny bit more water if necessary.

Using this method will allow you to get lots of lather, but it is a slower process than a normal face wash. If it starts to dry down, you can add a few more drops of water and keep it lathering indefinitely.

When using this product as a mask, I just rub it into my palm until it looks muddy, apply it, and let it dry down. A little water worked into a small part will start it lathering when you want to take it off.

One last tip, this stuff is black, and if you don't rinse it all off, expect to have marks on your towels. For this reason I usually use it before I hop in the shower. I put it on outside the shower, because too much water will cause the product not to lather and slip down the drain.

This soap is supposed to dissolve dead skin and you will feel some stinging as the enzymes do their magic. I didn't find it to be that bad, to me it's enough to feel like it's working. My skin does not feel tight after rinsing. I know some people have mentioned the odor - I honestly don't even notice it anymore. It smells different, but not bad. I'd prefer something that smells natural to chemical fragrances any day.

This soap will give you amazingly soft skin. I have never been one to be really loyal to one brand of face cleaner or shampoo, but I have been buying this stuff for about 2 years now and don't see myself ever stopping. It's one of the only products I use that I actually make sure I stock up on well before I run out.

UPDATE - October 2014

My latest bottle of this product has a different consistency, it's not as thick as it used to be. I suspect part of this is because they have been experimenting with the packaging and going from a bottle with a squeeze top to a pump. While I really do like most of Shea Terra's products a lot, they tend to change their product formulations a lot, and it can be really annoying. The soap is a bit easier to lather now, mostly because it seems to be less concentrated than it was before. It doesn't have that thick, jelly-like consistancy anymore. I kind of preferred the old formulation, but the new stuff seems to be just as effective.
33 comments| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2008
I was turned off by the parabens listed in almost all cosmetic products and wanted to shift towards more natural products. I started using this product in December 2008. I would say I have oily/combination skin and found that most products for oily skin made my skin tight and made my oil glands more active. I have had no such issues with this cleanser, my face loves it. My skin is soft and I am having much less battles with acne. I used it throughout winter with no flaking and now that warmer months are here I am still using it, except now I am using a salicylic lotion each night to keep my pores in check.

To use I simple apply it as normal on damp face massage and then rinse. Once a week I apply it like a mask. I squeeze a little on DRY finger tips and then sprend on my DRY face in a circular motion avoiding the eye area. I then proceed to shower as usual and then by the end of my shower (anywhere up to 10 min), the steam adds enough water to my face so I just massage thoroughly, then rinse. Voila beautiful, clean soft skin. If you do try to use it as a mask please remember to apply cleanser with dry hands to dry face. If you wet your hands and face then step in the shower, the face wash will get runny and drip into your eyes. That stings.

To exfoliate, once a week a add a bit of baking soda to this face wash and massage in a circular motion. This is enough to keep my face soft and clear, for a cheap price, and without parabens and other chemicals. My skin hasn't looked this good in years.

To summerize: I use the African Black soap as a regualer face wash twice a day, once a week I apply it like a mask, and once a week I use it with baking soda to exfoliate. I am truly happy with this face wash, and my skin care regime is so simply but the results are great.
on March 18, 2011
This product was recommended to me by a friend. Prior to that, I had never used it or even heard of "black soap". Having bouts of adult acne and combination skin (dry and oily)...... this product has been a great change for me. The overall feel of the skin is more smooth, tighter pores, and less acne. I use the product 1-2 times daily as a wash and occassionally as a skin mask. It only takes a small amount and works well. I am a repeat customer and recommend giving it a try!
on August 15, 2011
The Rose Hips Blcak Soap is clearing my pores since the first day. Excellent product, a least work very good for me.
on December 19, 2015
I figured I would try out this new health and beauty fad, Black Soap, and came across this product. It already had some decent reviews and figured I could find a way to fit this into my daily cleansing routine. This stuff is VERY thick and is not just something you throw on and wash off. I would say it is more of a mask than a facial soap seeing as you need to keep it on for roughly 5-10 minutes before washing it off. Frankly, I don't really wait around for 5-10 minutes, I sort of put it on while waiting for the shower water to heat to a good temperature, then I hop in and do my hair and body before washing this stuff off of my face. The stuff does not smell good, but I don't think it is supposed to (and frankly, it doesn't matter).

Have I seen any changes? No. Not yet. But I do feel a tingle when I put a lot on and wait a few minutes in the shower. The soap helps clear away dead skin and the tingle can attest to that. However, mind you, my only need for this product is just an added cleanser in hopes of anti-aging and perhaps keeping my pores as clean as possible.

Good, natural product- easy to use.
on September 17, 2010
After using this product for a week, I've gotten the same results as one microderm abrasion. I would purchase this product again.
on July 3, 2013
I first bought this product 2 years ago and it was amazing. The last 2 bottles have been totally different, soap is like Black gritty water, doesn't lather and sprays out of the bottle when I try and pump it into my hand. No way it would make a mask. If I try and shake it up to try and see if the ingredients have separated it comes out of the top of the botte where the pump joins and makes a mess and wastes the soap. I'm really disappointed because the first bottle was miraculous.
on November 13, 2015
This stuff is simply amazing! If I had not found it, I'd still be suffering with cystic acne and have the awful scars to show for it! I started using this almost two months ago. I received a sample in my birchbox and loved how smooth it made my face feel so I ordered a 4oz bottle off Amazon. It made my face "squeaky clean." I wash my face and body in the shower with A SheaMoisture African black soap BAR. When I get out of the shower, I pat dry my face so it's mostly dry but damp and then I apply the liquid sheaterra rose hips black soap! I rub it on and use as a mask for 5-10 minutes... At night I do it longer. And then rinse! After that, I use a 2.5% retinol serum (I use Eve Hansens fresh & radiant) this stuff helps to tighten your skin and help with any age spots, acne scar, or dark spot fading! And with this routine, my cystic acne has disappeared, and scars are slowly but surely disappearing!! Y'all, I have tried EVERYTHING for my cystic acne... Spent hundreds on expensive products that claimed to do the job but had no luck! At $14 a bottle for this soap, it's a STEAL in my opinion! I am forever thankful that this product was made and is so affordable! I will post before/after (now) pictures so you can see.
on July 23, 2013
First off, the bottle pump was broken upon arrival and I had to jimmy rig it to get it to work, which made it leaky. The face wash was VERY VERY thin, and was therefore useless as it spilled out of my hands before I could even get it to my face (forget lathering). I wanted to like this product as I normally love Shea Terra. But this one was a bust.
on May 10, 2016
This is the first product (and only) product I've used by Shea Terra, and I love it. People started complimenting me on my complexion almost immediately! It gives your skin a glow and I felt like my fine lines were diminishing. I'm 28, but my skin begs to differ- (aside from the fine lines). I had zero breakouts, and it smoothed out my skin in a way. There are no sketchy ingredients in this product at all, which is rare these days. You've heard the term "green-washing" right? Don't expect a fragranced scent, this smells very earthy, in a nice way. But really, who would want added fragrance (that's more than likely synthetic) in a natural product? I really wish they had more products to offer on Amazon. I'm about to reorder this though, people kept thinking it was hand soap so it dwindled down pretty fast. You won't regret buying this!