Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,407 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,578 reviews
on May 21, 2012
As I watched the first season of "Sherlock," my fondness for this show increased. From the opening moments in "A Study in Pink" to the Moriarty's stunning entrance in "The Great Game," I knew I was witnessing the rebirth of an icon. Yes, Mr. Downing Jr.'s portrayal in Hollywood's version is admirable and entertaining, but to find the true spirit of Sherlock Holmes one need look no further than this series. However, to say that it was ever more than "darn good television" would have been pushing it. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman put on a fantastic show, and ever so often the writing and acting gave small glimmers of greatness, but I was never tempted to say that the show had achieved lasting greatness (though to successfully transpose Holmes into the modern age was a feat in and of itself).

However, with "The Reichenbach Fall," I'm pleased to say that Sherlock has left far behind casual crime drama (good drama though it was) and has now entered the realm of true, incredible art. From the writing to the acting, to the gripping, gut-wrenching final moments (I don't know who deserves more credit, Cumberbatch or Freeman for displaying some amazing acting chops), I am pleased to say that this episode delivered some of the finest television I've ever had the privilege of watching. To go any further into how incredible this single episode is would do a dis-service to you, if you have read this review so far. Stop reading and watch. Really.
11 comment| 153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2017
One of the best shows on television. I love PBS and I love the fact that they offer a lot of BBC shows. This is the best one I've seen so far. I like it even better than Downton Abbey, my second favorite. It is wonderful to have this on Blu-ray for my collection. On rainy or cold winter days, I love to pop some corn and sit back under a warm blanket to watch these.

The acting is great. I truly believe the neurosis of the lead character played by Cumberbatch, but I think even more interesting is Dr. Watson played by Freeman. The chemistry is the best I've seen for a while. I believe it when Dr. Watson feels like smacking Sherlock. It is dramatic, funny, many layered, and just overall entertaining.

It doesn't matter what season, I love them all.
on March 2, 2013
I've been a rabid Holmes & Co. fan since I first saw Basil Rathbone in "Hound of the Baskervilles" when I was ten. It scared the "Dickens" out of me and replaced it with "Doyle." It wasn't long before I had my own set of Doyle's complete Holmes' stories. That was over forty years ago. That set wore out over the years and has been twice replaced.
So you can imagine how happy I was as an adult to spot Jeremy Brett as Sherlock. YES! I thought he couldn't be topped as the quintessential Holmes. I was wrong, yet I was right.
Brett was perfect portraying the Victorian Holmes, but - bringing Sherlock into the 21st century?! How could they??!! They did. Boy, did they ever! Fifteen minutes into the first episode and I was hooked!
Cumberbatch was magnificent. Watson was perfectly played by Martin Freeman [I'm waiting to see him as a Hobbit]. Mycroft was slickly proper and a bit spooky ... a very good foil for "Hat Man and Robin" as the press headlines called them in "Scandal in Belgravia" [Season 2 episode].
Hubby liked Brett as Holmes every bit as much as I and was a bit leery of the new concept. The first episode aired on Masterpiece Theatre on PBS. I watched it alone. When episode 2 aired, hubby was right next to me. We never got to see the third episode until the DVD arrived. We watched the whole DVD the first night possible. When Season Two became available on DVD, I snatched it up right quick.
We hadn't seen a single episode of Season Two, but the titles were teasing. Irene Adler? Who? How would they possibly update THE WOMAN? WOW! They did. 5 of 5 stars. The Hound? That rated a 4 of 5. Look out for Bluebell and the puns of Watson's re: other cases. Again, we are teased by the case of the aluminum crutch, referred to originally in "The Musgrave Ritual." Some day, someone will have to dig up Holmes notes and write about it. [?]
"Reichenbach Fall" - I cried through the last thirty minutes, even though I knew Holmes would triumph over Moriarty. Can't wait for Season Three to see how Holmes and Molly pulled it off...Sherlock: Season OneThe Return of Sherlock Holmes, Vol. 5 - The Musgrave Ritual & The Man with the Twisted Lip
on March 18, 2017
My granddaughter and I have watched all the available seasons. She loves, and I am enthused. I find the placement of Holmes and Watson in the 21st century to be a stroke of genius. The very familiar stories are new again, with a lot of modern situations that keep you involved.
The actors are excellent. Mary Watson is completely unexpected and exciting. I can only hope that the two stars will return to the project.
on February 23, 2017
It really is quite good and over time the productions might be seen as excellent. The key factor remains how often you can watch them. First and foremost I liked the decision to move the series into our times. Jeremy Brett's performances of Holmes in the 19th century are unrivaled. You needed something different. Now I began with the second season and from the start I knew that I had missed something. This was later confirmed after I saw the prior episode from the previous season, The Great Game. It left Holmes, Watson & Moriarty in a standoff by the pool. It left the audience hanging just like the old serial films from cinema. Want to find out what happened? Come back for the next film. The series also made .more use of flashbacks as well as posting texts and thoughts on the screen towards the development of the plot and its characters. Each show may borrow from not one but several stories. They retain their connection to Doyle but are also different. The writing and acting are both quite good but so is the cinematography, the direction and the editing. The entire production of the Sherlock series was well done. So starting with this season I eventually bought them all.. Don't buy Season 2 without Season 1.
on March 26, 2015
Fascinating. I am a fan of the original Sherlock Holmes stories and novels and this series updates them while staying (mostly) faithful to the original plots and characters. I did not give it a top rating (five stars) because I frequently find it difficult to follow what Benedict Cumberbatch is saying - he speaks very fast and has a British accent. I appreciate that this is all part of his portrayal of Holmes but my having to rewind the video (usually more than once) to better understand what he is saying interrupts the flow of the story. I have even tried SAP, but that makes the situation worse for me. So, I definitely recommend this series but be prepared for some audio issues.
The second season of the BBC's new Sherlock Holmes is even better than its first season. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are priceless and wildly entertaining as consulting detective Sherlock Holmes and Doctor John Watson in 21st Century London. This season's stories are extremely well executed riffs on Conan Doyle's familiar stories. Supporting cast members Mrs. Hudson, Inspector Lestrade, and even poor Molly the lovesick forensics technician get good parts to play.

The first episode is "A Scandal in Belgravia", a superb reimagining of "A Scandal in Bohemia", in which Sherlock Holmes faces Irena Adler, "the woman", who in this version is a dominatrix. This redo extends the story, and the relationship, in some interesting directions without sacrificing the delicious duel of wits between the two, including an excellent twist at the end.

"The Hounds of Baskerville" has the temerity to take on the legendary Sherlock Holmes story "The Hound of the Baskervilles", and gets away with it, envisioning an updated and truly menacing threat for Holmes and Watson to face on Dartmoor. Even Sherlock will have his relentlessly rational mind rattled just a bit.

"The Reichenbach Fall" is a redo of the Final Problem", placing the fatal duel between Holmes and Moriarty in a modern context with modern weapons, and an ending that will keep the viewer guessing to the credits.

Production values for these episodes are excellent, with fascinating mixtures of venues and visual magic, including the portrayal of Holmes' skill at deduction in near real time. This set includes a featurette on the making of the show. There has to be a third season; very highly recommended.
on September 17, 2013
This is not the review of an obsessed with Benedict Cumberbatch fan. With that being said; Benedict Cumberbatch is excellent in this series, as well as Martin Freeman. In this day and age television is inundated with a copious amount of shows to choose from. Even so, we are forced to choose between a great show with mediocre acting or excellent acting with mediocre writing. Every now and then we get the perfect storm, and Sherlock is that perfect storm. The caliber of acting on this show is excellent. The chemistry between the actors is astonishing and poignant. The writing is fantastic! Mark Gatiss' and Steven Moffit's writing is nothing short of impressive. They are always tying scenes, quotes, conditions, etc. from the original stories into a contemporary Sherlock/London. You never feel like your watching a stuffy old Holmes and Watson. Your not stuck in a previous time period with formal unrecognizable speech. It is contemporary in every sense of the word; cars, iphones, modern medicine, subway system, etc. As for the idiosyncrasies well known to Holmes and Watson instead of doing away with them, or sticking to the same boring composition, Gatiss and Moffit have modernized them as well. For example, Holmes originally smoked a pipe, in modern London he uses nicotine patches. The excellent cinematography, music, props, and on and on I could go. My recommendation: watch it!
on July 20, 2014
What a GREAT show! Leaves you wanting more. I had not seen Sherlock until a few months ago on PBS and was hooked after a few minutes. Terrific acting, fabulous cinematography, lovely views of London and surrounding areas, and plan old great story telling! Cumberbatch is so gifted as Sherlock. His character is addictive to watch.

Love it! Best show on TV/PBS. Wish they had more shows per season since two years is a long time to wait when you enjoy something this much! Wish I could give this series 10 thumbs up!
on November 30, 2013
This is one of the most definitive Sherlock brought to the modern age. It is a much better version of Robert Downing Jr on the screen and a far superior in contrast to the elementary series produce by CBS.In comparison to the classic PBS series with Jeremy Brett is a different flavor. If you are looking for an ultimate adaptation to the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle version, this will not meet your satisfaction. However if you are in search for a twist of the original chronicle this will be an ideal for you. The second season the writer from the current version of Doctor Who had not only modernize the Arthur Conan Doyle version but it place a greater analysis of Sherlock Holmes in the modern day society. Benedict Cumberbatch is just superb as Sherlock Holmes among the many tales the Scandal in Scarlet was an interesting intrigue in the introduction of Irene Adler. Her strength in deduction equal to Sherlock and the female actress is by far a superior version in comparison to Rachel McAdam's version on the silver screen. The support cast is just superior in all aspect this should be attribute the production company in delivering a superior script and detail of how Sherlock uses its power of observation and the element within each cases. This is a most have for any Sherlock Holmes fan. Season 1 is equally great. However I had found season two is far more superior..