Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 979 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,848 reviews
on December 11, 2014
This is the second time I have read this book. This first time I read this book, I was in my mid teens. I enjoyed immensly, and the main character Dolores always stuck with me.

I recently decided to re-read this book, to see if I would enjoy it as much as a grown up. This book touched me much more this time. Having lived life and experiencing the normal ups and downs of growing up, I understood this story much better. This is a story full of pain, confusion as well as inner strength and perspective that comes with becoming an adult.

This story follows Deloras from blindness of childhood to middle age. She experiences (what feels like) love, loss of a parent, additional losses and disappointments in life, lack of direction as well as battling mental instability which seems to be inherited from her mother.

In the end there is an understading that life may not go as planned, but the journey is different for everyone. In the end you may get your happy ending - even if it doesn't look the way you pictured it.

Be prepared to continue thinking about Miss Dolores Price long after the last page.
on July 4, 2013
This book has been extensively reviewed so I will be very brief. This book is a brilliant character driven story. Lamb takes you into the mind of this girl, and like a forensic psychologist shows you exactly how "she's come undone." It may be difficult to read for some people, as it taps into emotional issues that may be triggering for those who have been victims of abuse. I've read it twice, I rarely re-read a book. The only other book I've re-read was also a Wally Lamb book.
on August 26, 2017
I read this book years ago from the Library and enjoyed it so much so decided to buy forever and Install on my Kindle. Great writing, great plot, great character development. Might say I am a fan of Wally Lamb
on July 22, 2016
This is my favorite book of all time. Wally Lamb writes so believably from the female mind in this story of a woman who can't seem to catch a break. I relate to her, root for her, and love the fact that she does not really pity herself in the story - she just keeps trucking on. She is a very likable character (in my opinion) and I love experiencing her life with her. This is the only book I've ever read more than once - it's fantastic.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 6, 2016
I fell in love with Dolores within the first couple of chapters. I don't think she had "come undone" as much as I think she was already broken, and being raised in an unstable home didn't help any with putting the broken bits back together, The first half of this book was spectacular, but once again as in Wally Lamb's other book "I know This Much Is True" I hated the therapist, the therapy and the time Dolores spent in it. My interest really waned from that halfway point until 3 quarters or so of the book and I was as happy as Dolores herself to be done with it. The last quarter of the book thankfully had nothing to do with the psychiatrist and pretty much went back to being a spectacular story.
on November 6, 2015
I remember when this was Oprah's Book Club choice. I was a kid and my mom wouldn't let me read it. Now that I'm almost 30, I understand why she wouldn't! Lots of heavy themes in this book, but you never stop rooting for Dolores. I would come home from work and immediately start reading. I don't know how Wally Lamb channeled what it's like being a girl, a teenager, and a woman quite so well, but he did and he created a masterful character in the process. I could easily see myself in Dolores at multiple times throughout the book and now look forward to reading more of his titles.
on July 17, 2017
I just finished reading this. Dolores is one interesting character. Not exactly one of those protagonists you fall in love with and want to be friends with, but she has her moments. Entertaining story.
on July 1, 2013
I had to make myself keep on reading during the first quarter of the book because I could relate somewhat to the story. It brought up those ugly feelings from long ago. I am glad I didn't stop reading. This book is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I can't seem to get it out of my head. Being an overweight adult and suffering with weight for much of my life, I could relate to some of the issues raised. This book has haunted me since I read it. I can't seem to forget the sorrow that Dolores carried with her. Amazingly written.
on July 23, 2016
My all time favorite book. I've read it twice. Gave it to several people who were "non readers"...and "readers." They all loved it; my sons and daughter have all read it (early 20's), my friend read it, aged 15, adults I've given it to have read it. I got so involved with the characters they because real to me. It was hard for me to believe it was fiction. Such a great writer...Love Wally Lamb.
on May 1, 2017
Everyone's life falls apart in some way at some time. Its what you do with the pieces that counts.