To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Shifty Magic (Shifty Magic Series) Paperback – May 21, 2013
|New from||Used from|
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
--Teller of tales.
--Blaster of boredom.
--Creator of your next adventurous experience.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. What type of book is it: action, drama, etc? This book is an urban dark fantasy detective thriller/mystery with romance and drama mixed into the pot for good measure.
2. What is the story about, in general? The story is about Addison Kittner (what a name) a 19 year old tough as nails human detective and bounty hunter living in a standard dark urban fantasy sort of world (vampires, werewolves, demons, magic users). She goes on a case to find the murderer of a vampire and things take off from there.
3. What/Who is the target audience? The target audience is adult females who enjoy supernatural romance, and those individuals with a penchant towards urban dark fantasy books.
4. Is there character development? Hmm. Yes there is. I like the fact that the book is not only a detective supernatural dark fantasy story, but also a journey of self discovery. Addison's personality doesn't change but she discovers aspects of her needs and faults. With one obvious exception (there is romance ladies and gents) most of the supporting characters have cursory appearances which do not particularly impact reader awareness beyond their rote paths. The book is pretty focused in Addison.
5. Are the characters likable? I enjoyed all of the characters to some degree or another. The composition of how the characters interacted was enjoyable and meshed well. Their dialogue was able to convey personal likes and dislikes, felt generally real and didn't feel forced.
6. Does the story keep its pacing? Yes. The urban dark fantasy setting has some pretty standard roles: protagonist, supernatural romance interest, thriller/mystery plot and so forth. It usually involves werewolves, vampires and demons, and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. What was nice was how well the author weaves this story. It flowed from scene to scene without really sticking at any point. The scenes felt logical, informative, interesting and well structured.
7. Do you have to suspend disbelief? Hmm, not really. I did find the ending a little hokey, but it was still done well within the world concept.
8. Is the book worth the asking price? $4 will get you an enjoyable, perhaps a little cliché, read. It's a good price. I have read books of this ilk at $7. This one was as entertaining.
In conclusion: This is a credible addition to the standard urban dark fantasy genre. You will find the usual cast of supernatural creatures for such types of books. The quality of how the world was composed and the particular nuances of the setting are well done, pleasant to read even. I found the plot enjoyably compelling. Only the main protagonist truly evolves. The rest of the characters are generally static, though their conversations are well written and meshed in a satisfactory manner. The ebook is well priced at $4 dollars. The book doesn't particularly stand out as the topic has been written about many times before, but the writing style is easy on the mind and just as easy to follow. Good book.
I could never get into the authors other books, but she does this PNR genre very well. She does not have the world building ability of say, Ilona Andrews, but then who does? Ms. Teal does though, write very likable characters, and Addie makes a great in-between Kate Daniel's read.
I am concerned that after over a year, book 3 has not been published, but there was a note in Nov 2014, that she was working on it.
**FYI, I just finished the 2nd book in the series, and it was even better than the first. Since it is 2:30 a.m., I am glad I do not have the 3rd book now, as I would probably start reading it!
Addison is a private investigator and bounty hunter. After helping a girl human to escape from vampires she is involved in investigation with sexy FBI agent Cooper. Mixing business with lust is never a good idea but higher risks are at stake. The case gets more and more unpredictable twist. And so does attraction between her and Cooper.
Paranormal interesting read.