Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 179 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 200 reviews
on March 1, 2017
Shifty Powers was no conceited egomaniac who wanted to shine like like no other in his autobiography. Instead, his level-headedness and company spirit permeate the book. He writes about Easy Company, their jumps, their battles, their sorrows and friendships. A gentle soul, who was a gifted shot and saved many a life, his voice moves through the novel to explain the war and Easy Company's role in it. When I finished, I cried. A great patriot and a selfless soldier and man, this country is fortunate indeed to have had Shifty Powers on its side. A class act, a gentleman-soldier, Shifty Powers was what we all should aspire to be. The book is extremely well written and I highly recommend it. After you read the book, you will look at any garden differently.
on May 6, 2011
I had always heard that Shifty Powers was one of the most-loved guys in Easy Company, even though he didn't have a huge presence in the HBO miniseries. Now I understand why. Brotherton's written another excellent book in the Band of Brothers series ... it's a great read and is filled with many inspiring stories. Shifty was a great man of excellent character. He will obviously be missed by many, and I'm glad his story has been told!
on August 18, 2013
I just finished reading Marcus Brotherton's book "Shifty's War." The book tells the story of Sergeant Darrell "Shifty" Powers who was the legendary sharpshooter for Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division.

I sent the following note to Marcus via his Facebook page. Thought I'd share it with you as it tells you why you need to go out buy this book and have a "sitdown" with Shifty and let him tell you his story.

To Marcus Brotherton I wrote:

Marcus, I just finished reading "Shifty's War." Marvelous job on your part.

I have been home the past few days both recovering from sinus surgery and fighting off bronchitis that decided to pay me a visit. I happy to say the recovery is going well and I have the bronchitis on the run.

On Thursday after I decided to start reading your book. I read half of it in one setting. It flowed very smoothly and was as if I was sitting next to Shifty hearing him tell his story. Very well done.

I did not get a chance to read many pages of the book on Friday as I had a follow up appointment with ENT specialist and was feeling under the weather from bronchitis. I also did not get to read it this past Saturday.

I woke today and after having breakfast, I decided it was time to continue the journey through Shifty's life as you brilliantly assembled it in his words on paper. Once again, I could not put the book down.

As I read the book, I heard myself chuckle at times. I also found myself glued to every word. What an awesome story about a Great Man and Hero.

I must admit that I got teary eyed as I chapter of the book in which Shifty described his illness and the loss of his unborn great grandson. As I read the last sentence on page 254, I noticed tears streaming down my cheeks. And yes, the legacy of of Shifty Powers continues.

I want to thank you for writing this WONDERFUL book and telling Shifty's story. I encourage to write other books about the remaining members of Easy Company. Only you can tell their stories through words in the way their stories deserve to be told.

God bless you and thank you again for such a wonderful book.

[ASIN:B004XFZ8VE Shifty's War: The Authorized Biography of Sergeant Darrell "Shifty" Powers, the Legendary Sharpshooter from the Band of Brothers]
on May 6, 2011
This is a story that has the word 'War' in its title, but it isn't a war story. It is the story about a young man from the Blue Ridge region of southwest Virginia who wanted nothing more than to live the simple life with family, friends and work in a place he loved but WWII came along and became the experience that forever changed his life. Darrell 'Shifty' Powers never aspired to greatness or wealth, but lived a life rich in many things that neither money nor greatness could buy. In the end, he had lived the life that one can look back on without regret. This book will tug at your heart and wet your eyes, but you won't want to stop until it is finished.
on March 20, 2015
I've read most of the "first account" books written by members of Easy Company, so wasn't sure if I trusted a book written about a member of Easy Company by an author I hadn't heard of. Marcus Brotherton does a great job capturing the tone and wit of Shifty Powers. It helps that Shifty contributed to the Band of Brothers through interviews, so that reading his words was accompanied by the sound of those words. Some of the dialogue was lifted directly from the series, which was a little disappointing, because it seemed to leave Shifty's story for a few moments. I loved the last several chapters, because they capture a side of Powers that only his friends and family would know. I applaud Shifty's willingness to tell his post-war story, to include his struggles adjusting to civilian life and working through his vivid memories of war. Many of my students are also recovering from their service in Iraq and Afghanistan, so I'll suggest this book to them, as they work through their own tormented memories.
on May 9, 2011
I have read every book about the Band of Brothers and I picked this book up the day it came out. I was written in first person even though Shifty did not write the book. But Brotherton does a great job making the reader feel like it is Shifty telling us his story.

Definitely a great book about a great person who did not any recognition for what he did in the war.

RIP Shitfy
on August 9, 2016
First of all, I did enjoy the book. Sgt. Powers' life after the war was just as interesting as his life was during it.

However, Shifty had no part in writing this book. This was written "in his own words" after his death.
on November 2, 2016
We who have reaped the reward's of freedom as secured by men like "Shifty" Powers cannot express in words the gratitude for their sacrifice of time and the loss of personal rewards of a daily life with family and friends during the hardships faced during their service to their country and to their fellow man. His humble attitude and his sense of duty to his country and family are the true definition s of a hero.
on January 11, 2015
I am now reading this book. It is so life like. It is telling you about one person in particular but also tells of the friendships he made during this time period from Camp Taccoa to the end of WWII and the friendships go on from there also after the war. This young man was never wounded until the end of the war. His story is so interesting I wound recommend this book to be read. First read the "Band of Brothers" then go from there. I have purchased seven books that relate to the "Band of Brothers". This eally opened my eyes to what these men went thru. My father was a WWII veteran but never talked about the war. I am very interested in this as I enjoy history especially WWII in Europe.
on June 2, 2017
I only give it four stars because it's impossible to tell how accurate it is given the author writes as Shifty. Other than that, the author does a great job and tells a great story.