Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen

Format: Hardcover|Change
Price:$13.48+ $3.99 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 36 reviews
on March 26, 2004
Jack Warner is a master storyteller.
I've been privileged to enjoy Warner's work for more than 20 years, from his days as a wire-service deskman to newspaper reporter to his station in life now as a novelist. He is one of the finest writers I've encountered. He doesn't waste words or mince them; he can tell you more in two sentences than most writers can in 20. His writing is elegant and illuminating and never flabby. He is effusively efficient.
After only a few pages of "Shikar" you will feel the man-eating tiger's yellow, glowing eyes stalking you. You will also feel a strong reluctance to put the book down. You might also never look at a walk in the woods the same way again.
This is a heart-stopping thriller but also a sweet story about a noble old man and an innocent young boy with more in common than one might imagine. These are characters with hearts and souls.
My wish is that Jack Warner writes faster. I can't wait for his next book.
on October 11, 2013
A really good book. Very suspenseful and engaging. I had difficulty putting it down once it absorbed me. I have always been a fan of the old "white Hunter" stories of Africa and India, and this was much like them. here is an element of fantasy toward the end, but not enough to ruin the story. It is obviously set up for a sequel, but it has been years since this story was released, so don't hold your breath until it is released.
on December 4, 2016
first rate adventure novel. well worth your read.
on April 14, 2016
An amazingly great book to read!!
I have read this more than once and will again and again I know
on July 31, 2014
Jack Warner's book, Shikar, is one of the best books I have read! The characters are well-developed and the story itself borders on mystery. Loved it immensely and wish this author would write more books.
on June 19, 2008
I did not think I would like a book about a tiger loose in Georgia. Boy, was I wrong. This story sucks you in and you want to keep reading.

A year or so ago the SciFi Channel made a pathetic movie that was obviously based on this book. But as bad as the movie was, the book is great.

I would advise anyone who likes high suspense and action to read this book.
on June 16, 2003
Shikari sounds a bit farfetched -- a man-eating tiger in Georiga. but Jack Warner grabs you by the neck and and takes you with him. Good story, good read. The author obviously takes the time to know what he's talking about ... without burying you in it. The author convinces you that it could happen. The question is whether he'll bring Grady Brickhouse back for a followup or three.
on August 2, 2003
Wow, what a debut novel. I loved the author's prose style and understated approach. He had me from the first paragraph. I can quibble a bit with some mystical overtones, but overall this is one of the best reads you will find this year. Just ignore what you think it will be like based on the plot description and get your hands on a copy.
on March 4, 2013
I got wrapped up in the characters and couldn't wait to see what happened next. I still want to know what happens to Roy.
on April 8, 2014
this is a wonderful book and I wanted to give this to my sister as a birthday present. The book never arrived.