Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shimano Spirex FG Spinning Reel (6.2:1)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

on March 16, 2013
I purchased the Spirex 4000 (FD) because it is one of the few reels in Shimano's line that still has the Quickfire feature. When this feature was introduced back in the 80's I bought one reel with it and liked it so much I had soon replaced every one of my freshwater reels with one with the Quickfire mechanism. I love the ease of one handed casting and the fact that I never have to look down at the reel to make sure it is aligned for casting. As some of my earlier purchases start showing their age, the Spirex is my preferred replacement.

I've read some complaints about the anti-reverse in Quickfire equipped reals. The complaint is that the anti-reverse isn't instant. Rather the reel will spin up to a full turn before it engages. That's necessary so that the mechanism lines up perfectly for casting. I've never found this to be a problem because my hand is always on the handle during the fall and retrieve and that is all the anti-reverse I ever need. Maybe it's because I began fishing in the day when anti-reverse reels emitted a noisy click when it was engaged, so I usually fished without engaging it.

As far as the performance, the drag is smooth and line winds evenly on the spool. That's all I ask of my spinning reels. The reel has a solid feel and I like that it is metal, as I think that makes a reel more durable (even though I have some plastic body reels that are approaching 30 years old).

My single complaint (and it's a minor one) is regarding the double handle. I don't get the point. Perhaps it is meant to appeal to anglers who use mostly bait casting reels. I find it slightly awkward feeling as every spinning reel I've owned have (or had) a single handle. The single handle also has the advantage of folding more neatly out of the way for storage or transport. I could probably easily replace the Spirex double handle with a single handle, and the fact that haven't done so means that it's isn't that big an issue with me.

Overall this is a solid, well made fishing reel at a reasonable price. Highly recommended.
on August 12, 2013
I've written reviews for other reels and gave them great scores for cost versus performance. Same thing for these Shimano Spirex reels. They are the smoothest spinning reel I've ever used. Of course I've never bought a really expensive $300 spinning reel and probably won't unless I win the lottery, so I can't compare it to those kind of reels. What I do know is that for under $100, this is the best spinning reel you can buy. They are buttery smooth, have no wobble while reeling because of their great balance and are of the highest quality. I have several of the much older models of this same reel (10-15 years old) and they still work almost like new. I had to order two more because I lost two due to theft. I like the newer models much better because the new wider spool design allows you to wrap more line on the reel and it casts a little smoother as a result. It's an extremely nice reel for the price. I love the quick-fire trigger mechanism which allows you to cast quickly. Some may complain about the lack of instant anti-reverse, but I've never lost a fish because of "slap-back" and the convenience, ease and quickness of casting makes this a much better reel in my humble opinion. It;s jsut too easy to award a 5-star review for this deserving reel! Buy it... you'll love it!
on May 9, 2014
I fish in salt water exclusively, spinning lures between 3/8th ounce to 1/2 ounces. This Spirex 4000 FG is nearly identical to the rear drag model; featuring the Quick Fire II trigger. I personally am "hooked", pun intended, on the Quick Fire system. It take a huge step out of the next cast, and most importantly, I don't have to take my eyes off an area where I want to put a follow up cast. It also speeds up and simplifies my fishing experience each outing.

The action is very smooth, hardly any wobble when reeling fast and the drag is very smooth. Regarding it's overall weight, I rate it as average. I would have liked if it where a little lighter, but I'm guessing that for a middle of the pack reel in the Shimano line-up, its about par with the competition in this price range. This reel only comes with one spool, would have earned the 5th star if it came with a second/spare.

The line fires off the reel nicely, with hardly any resistance for long, really long casts. The line lays very evenly on retrieval, and so far, I've never experience a bird's nests, fouls, or tangles. It's built like a tank, and I expect this reel to last me a very long time. I also have the rear drag model, and though I've heard the arguments of rear drag verses front drag, I personally find the drag performance to be a non issue. Both are very smooth, predictable and strong. I mainly used 10 lb. mono in this set up.

There are two concerns on the Spirex 4000's. Servicing and adjusting the drag during a hook up. To service a rear drag model yourself is more delicate than the front drag model. Also in rear drag models, salt build-up happens more than the front drag model. If you service your reels yourself, don't neglect cleaning and protecting the rear drag system. As for the plus on the rear drag system, its much easier to adjust your drag while fighting a fish on the line since you don't have to reach in front of your reel and potentially mess up. Lastly, the center of balance is different between both models, rear and front drag Spirex's. You can definitely feel the difference when mounting this on your rod. Both are solid, dependable reels that you'll be happy to own.
on August 13, 2016
Own other Shimano spinning reels ( two Sedona 2500 FE ) and impressed with their quality assembly / operation. The Spirex model is smoother to operate and will be my reel of choice. I like the one handed bail system as well. An outstanding spinning reel! Just ordered / received my second reel identical to the first.
on April 19, 2015
Very nice reel first time out with it had zero tangles or failed sets. This reel is smooth, balanced and quiet. It is a little stiff reeling I'm thinking new bearings need to wear in or the preload was set a little tight, it seemed to loosen up during the first outing. I haven't taken it apart to see if there's any adjustment just hoping it will set in to be a nice smooth reel. I've used shimano exclusively since the 90's because of the Quick fire trigger cast thing. I haven't taken my hand of the handle to lift the bail since.
on August 26, 2013
Use this reel 6/8 days a month. Arrived on time. Good value. The problem I have is when I bought it the description was not enough. The Picture showed the 1000FG and only one picture. I think they would sell more of them if they showed that their description choice is not the same names that Shimano have. I got what I wanted and it took some time to decipher it.
on March 12, 2016
Most of my fishing is for speckled trout and redfish on the the Texas/Louisiana Gulf coast. Of that, over 95% of the time I am throwing artificials with a Shimano Calcutta TE 250DC or Curado 200e7. However, I occasionally need to throw into a heavy wind or throw soft plastics under a popping cork, and when I do, I use this. I am not as accurate with a spinning rig as a baitcaster, but in those two situations, I can throw it better. I use Suffix 30/8 braid on it. I like the reverse catch that stops the reel with the line set straight down the rod for casting. Trigger is convenient. Unlike most spincasters, I "wrong hand" the reel handle, that is I cast right and reel right, because that is what I am used to with my baitcasters. I like the double handle because it has the same feel as my baitcasters. I have never had a problem with this reel despite using it exclusively in a salt water environment.
on April 14, 2013
Really a high quality reel for the money. I've used these reels for years and have never been disappointed with their performance. I use them for salt water fishing and have never had a single issue with them corroding or falling apart.
on December 18, 2012
I ordered this reel by clicking on the "2 pounds/ 200 yards" box, assuming I would get the FG 1000, which I wanted.
BEWARE--I got the FG 2500. I had sent in three queries asking about model numbers, but none of my queries to Amazon or the supplier was answered.
I have worn out about 4 of these reels and like them A LOT, because this is really a 5-STAR Reel, but I rated it 2 stars to tell you all to be sure you know what model you are ordering!
Amazon went to the trouble to ship it to me, and I went to the trouble to return it, because I wanted the smaller size.
on May 11, 2016
I recently purchased this reel for my fathers birthday gift. He used to have one as a child and needless to say this thing is awesome! I bought the 1000fg model and it is amazing for small game fish. Beyond smooth reeling, very high quality parts, and the drag system is very smooth. Partner this reel with a 7ft ultra light rod and your in for some fun! Arrived in HALF the time it said and came packaged quite nicely And for the few that have said theyve ordered the 1000fg and recieved the 2500 model. That mightve been a shipping problem. I ws afraid of that too but i received what i purchased. Overall amazing product.