YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 New Year, New You nav_sap_shop_all_hm_cal Shop now Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Go Explore Outdoor Recreation on Amazon NYNN

Showing 1-10 of 107 reviews(Verified Purchases). Show all reviews
on September 5, 2011
In this review I'll list some of the major improvements Atlus made to the original Devil Survivor in Overclocked:

EIGHTH DAY

Overclocked includes four new eighth day scenarios, which means nearly four new days of battles and plotline!

FULL VOICE ACTING

Every single line in the game has been voiced, and the acting is mostly excellent (with the unfortunate exception of Midori).

NEW DEMONS

Loads of news demons have been added, including:

Ishtar
Ongyo-ki
Macabre
Jahi

NEW SKILLS

To go with the new demons, loads of new skills were added as well. Some of them, like Vigilant and Shield All+, prove exceedingly beneficial.

TITLES

Essentially, you can earn titles by achieving certain tasks in Overclocked (such as clearing a certain ending or defeating optional bosses), and you can spend the points you earn from your titles on rewards for your next playthrough. This is a fantastic addition and makes you want to keep playing to earn them all.

DEMON COMPENDIUM

One of the most disappointing aspects of Devil Survivor was the lack of a compendium. Atlus thankfully rectified this issue in Overclocked. No more tediously hoping to get lucky with auctions; now you can simply summon any demons you've previously owned.

In addition, you can read about each demon's profile and history. As a mythology buff, I always find reading about a plethora of mythological beings from such diverse cultures fascinating.

And the best improvement of all...

THREE SAVE SLOTS

Thank god Atlus added two more save files! I hated having to overwrite my old game every time I started a new one, and now other people in my family can play too. Seriously, I'm so relieved the developers used the extra storage capacity on things like this rather than pointless 3D effects.

In conclusion, I bought the 3DS for this game, and it was worth every penny. If you enjoy strategy RPGs whatsoever, whether you played the original or not, buy it!
1212 comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2013
First of all I played this directly after beating Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers and while I LOVED Soul Hackers this game has some issues. Lets start off with the positives. The story and characters are excellent and memorable, they each seem realistic and like people you might know so you can easily relate to them. The voice acting is top notch and I rarely skipped any cutscenes/dialogue and there is more npc interaction in this game than I have seen in years, seriously there is a ton of talking which is a good thing, and the choices start off small but by the half way point your making game altering decisions that affect your ending.

Also, while the game doesn't really use the 3D it doesn't exactly need it as it's a strategy game. The demon selection while decent isn't on par with other Shin Megami Tensei titles as far as I have seen, For instance in Soul Hackers I had at least double the demons in my compendium as I did in Devil Survivor. The new game+ is also decent and will keep you beating it multiple times.

Okay on to the negatives.

The gameplay is very sluggish as in it can take upwards of 10 minutes to do a basic battle in some situations and why is that you ask? Because the difficulty level is very steep and the scaling is unforgiving. There will be missions such as in a certain boss fight where enemies will constantly respawn until the boss dies and the boss isn't necessarily a pushover and I died plenty of times on this and ended up having to spend 2+ hours grinding exp to at least be on a somewhat level playing field. And prior to that I had to use a team comprised of 50% cold resistant demons to survive. The game is very unforgiving.

I highly suggest playing on easy for your first game unlike me, I played normal and spent upwards of 8+ hours grinding total which while entertaining kind of drowned out the story for me.

Don't get me wrong, the game is fun and the story is great but the game progression isn't fluid at all and it hurts the game for me, it's kind of a fake difficulty as in there is no way to possibly beat the game without doing at least moderate grinding as you will lack macca (in game currency) to fuse/buy demons to upgrade.

I hate giving this only a 3/5 as I love the series and this game was good but I'm looking at it from an unbiased perspective and grading it on normal difficulty.

I'm sure that if you play on easy mode it might not be as bad but I had a hell of a time and this is coming from a guy that has played SMT Nocturne, Persona 3/4, and Soul Hackers and beat them all with realtive ease, maybe I'm just bad at tactical games?
on August 18, 2015
It's a great JRPG, a great SRPG, a great SMT game, and a lovely improvement over the original DS version! Most of the features from Devil Survivor 2 made their way into this upgrade of the first game (except DeSu2's Fate system, sadly) and it really helps. I used to think, before these recent remakes, that DeSu had the better story while DeSu2 had the better gameplay - this remake evens the playing field a bit. As such, this game combines great gameplay with useful features/additions and a great atmosphere-driven story with interesting characters.

That said, since this is a Shin Megami Tensei spin-off, be warned: it's difficult. Patience is not only a virtue but a must with these games. Certain monsters can and will one-hit you, and some bosses will need to be repeated until you get your strategy down. That said, the game is really fun once you get over that learning curve, and the story and characters really help push you along in that regard.

The game is set in a modern-day Tokyo, where you and your companions have just been trapped in a government lockdown/quarantine of the area. You quickly learn that this has to do with the demons you discover, and in fact acquire through strange portable electronic devices (called "COMPs," but clearly resemble a Nintendo DS/3DS) that are able to summon them. Communication is severed, demons start causing chaos, people start to panic, and your party finds themselves simply trying to survive day-to-day. This leads you to finding the cause of the lockdown, the origin of the demons, the COMPs, etc. and your decisions ultimately decide how, or even if, you try to fix things and end the lockdown or not. There are quite a few endings as a result that are, again in typical SMT fashion, often alignment-based (e.g. chaos, law/order, neutrality, etc.). You can even get a bad ending, but that's easy to avoid if you pay much attention at all.

The gameplay is divided into two parts: non-combant and combat.

Non-combat gameplay has a list of areas you can go to in the lockdown, with people you can talk to or events/battles to partake in. This all happens according to a 24-hour clock, meaning certain people can only be talked to at certain times and battles likewise can be time-limited. As such, you can leave characters to die if you know in advance they are in danger at a specific time and refuse to help them out. Your choices in this regard, i.e. who you talk to and such, will help shape and determine the course that your game takes and the final route and ending you get. So a general idea is to talk to plenty of people early on until you have an idea of who you agree with and ultimately want to help achieve their goals the most. And don't worry - you're not locked into a decision or anything until much later in the game, and it's black-and-white when you do finally decide what route you'll take.

And also out of combat you get to buy demons (via "Auction" or the compendium of your past/current demons), fuse them (two demons become a third demon, with you losing the two you fused), changing up your teams/skills, etc.

Combat gameplay takes place in individual skirmishes or fights that are made up of a local area, overlaid by a grid that determines movement. The flow is turn-based, with each player character (up to 4 at a time) and enemy character taking turns according to their speed. So you don't control all of your characters at once before ending your turn, and you don't get to choose which character of your goes when. This adds a need to strategize, of course. Once your character engages in combat with another, the gameplay momentarily departs from traditional grid-based SRPG games as it opens into a turn-based JRPG combat where you choose the actions for your character and their demons (up to two) and it happens at the same time as the enemy's actions - chronologically carried out by each individual's Agility stat. The actual fighting involves a very interesting (even if sometimes frustrating) system of elements, resistances, and "extra turns" (i.e. extra actions, usually gained through critical hits or hitting an enemy's elemental weakness). This is something you'll definitely have to get a handle on in order to get through the game without rage-quitting.

While it's a game where you absolutely need to have patience and be willing to learn the ins-and-outs of combat, I would recommend it to anyone that likes RPGs, JRPGs, SRPGs, or even other SMT games.
on September 27, 2011
This review is coming from a 32 year old woman who prefers simple side-scrollers like Mario. I usually don't like RPG's, but this game had such great reviews I decided to give it a try. Plus there were a limited number of 3DS games out there at the time and I wanted to expand my library.

Firstly, you should know that this game barely utilizes the 3D function of the 3DS. It is only used in the opening scene and when you fuse demons. I found this very disappointing at first, but the sheer awesomeness of the game soon made me forget about the 3D.

I don't play video games much now that I'm an adult and don't have a ton of free time, but this game has me ADDICTED! I haven't been this addicted since Pokemon first came out. The story is fantastic and keeps you engaged, they teach you the controls gradually so it's not too complicated to learn, and the demon auction and fusion keeps the 'addictive collector' in me satiated. The voice acting is terrific; usually you don't get this much dialogue in a game. I like that you don't have to read all of the dialogue if you don't want to; just sit back and let the characters talk.

I will say there is a learning curve as with most games. After having to re-start 2 times already, I've learned to save my progress multiple times just in case I make a stupid decision when fusing demons or bought the wrong demons or something. It's a pain to start over after putting in 8 hours of gameplay. It can be easy to 'paint yourself into a corner' so to speak if you don't know what you're doing at first.

So I hope my review helps you decide if you want to purchase this game. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with this one!
on January 2, 2017
This is the 3DS edition of the DS game Devil Survivor. Since it's a port, there really isn't much in the way of 3D and the graphics are not up at the level of other titles in this genre on 3DS. However, this is a pretty good game and if you're a fan of the SMT series, this is your chance to play a SRPG with the SMT battle system. The plot here is pretty good, but I see a lot of similarities to The World Ends With You in terms of plot. Music is pretty bland.
on September 18, 2011
The original game on DS is fantastic, and so is this one. Amazing plot, awesome music, awesome gameplay. But the 3DS remake isn't as good as I thought it would be. The top screen (the bigger one) is hardly ever used, and apart from a brief anime OP (which is worse than the DS original), there's no 3D...

I'm fine with no 3D, but they should have optimized it more, so it used the top screen for the main graphics display instead of the smaller bottom one.

If you haven't played the original, GET THIS GAME RIGHT NOW! If you have, only get it if you have a fair bit of extra money. The updates to it hardly justify you purchasing the game twice.
on January 4, 2016
I held off on buying this for a while because some reviews said you couldn't turn off the voices (which I'm not a fan of), but I'm glad I finally picked it up. There is a simple switch in a menu to turn voices off, btw. This version adds a demon archive to either buy demons you have saved or the first instance you came across of that type. They are always ridiculously expensive and I like fusing to get what I want but it comes in handy sometimes when I have too much money. There is also an 8th day and some additional content but I haven't gotten there yet. Supposedly the graphics have been updated but I played it on a DS Lite the first time and I'm playing on a 3DS XL now so it still looks the way I remember it. I bet if I played the DS version on a DSi XL vs my 3DS XL the old version would be more pixelated. After I played the second one it was harder to go back to the original but this update it more palatable somehow. I'll always prefer the Bels over the Septentriones.

Update: The added new game+ options allow you to make archived demons much cheaper. The 8th day scenarios are fun but you have to sit through two sets of credits and slow.....endgame....messages until you can play them. Still a great game.
on June 10, 2015
Demons, Desperate Citizens, and D-Cups Full of Justice?

Devil Survivor: Overclocked (Over Clock in Japan) is a 3DS port of Devil Survivor for the DS. The story follows a group of people under lockdown in Tokyo after demons begin popping out of modified COMPs (which look just like the 3DS you're playing the game on!) Their goal is just to avoid getting killed by the demonic hordes by fighting with demons of their own, and to figure out why the demons are here at all.

But to do that, you'll need strong demons. You can get this by either bidding on their contracts, or by fusing two of your currently held demons into another one (and passing on their best skills to the new demon). And you WILL need to fuse, because this game does not screw around. As with other SMT games, you may need to fight bosses a few times to figure out how to beat them and build your teams to succeed.

But all of these things are true of both versions of this game. So what makes this one better? Difficulty tweaks are present, making the game a bit easier (better balanced) than the DS version. The addition of voiceovers is neat, though some of the performances have come under scrutiny. I thought the voice acting was good overall, though many compare Midori's voice to nails on chalkboard. The big additions are the Compendium (allows you to pay to resummon demons) and the new 8th Day scenarios. After completing the game, you'll have the option to create a New Game + save or an 8th Day save file (if you finished the game with an ending that has an 8th Day tied to it). The last addition is an unlockable ultimate boss battle with Lucifer, which is unreasonably difficult.

Overall, this is the version to get, unless you need the slightly more difficult DS version.
on April 2, 2016
While it is mostly just the ds game published again with a bit of additional content, it is a very solid game with some mechanics that take a bit getting used to, to get one of the many many different endings.
branched paths is always a plus
the art is very nice
and it does take cues from mythologies from various different cultures to open you up to things you have never seen before
on May 21, 2013
It's a simple as that. I'm really enjoying it. I'm on the fourth day right now so I can't speak of the game as a whole, but it's a fun game. If you don't like fire emblem then you won't like this game.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.