Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ship That Flew (Oxford Children's Modern Classics)
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on December 1, 2002
This is a wonderful book, which I've read dozens of times, and it still moves me. I first read it 40 or more years ago, and when I found it again recently, I was just as enchanted by it, and now appreciate it on other levels. I still want to wander a tiny English seaside town and find my own magic ship.
I recommend it to anyone-children, teens, adults, seniors. It has something for everyone.
on January 7, 2002
As a child, I was in love with magic, with history, with the idea that children could manage, on their own, to have great adventures. This book both helped to spark and confirmed all those interests and feelings. I have recommended it for years and now that my child is six, can't wait to re-read it myself before reading it to him. It far outshines, in my opinion, many widely available books; I am trying to encourage the Independent Booksellers Association to push for its reissue into availability. This book is ranked with The Narnia Chronicles, E.Nesbit's books and the Elizabeth Enright's books, in my mind. If you buy and enjoy this book, try those as well and also Henry Ransome's series from the 30's that begins with the title Swallows and Amazons. The stories of the great Ship enchanted me as a child and still move me today.
on May 16, 2002
I read this book as a child,simply for the story. Now, as an adult, and a would-be educator (wannabe, really) I find myself coming back to the story of the children and their magic ship again and again. As I grew older, I read grander tales of more complicated magic... and greater historical scope... but every now and then, I would return to this story. It gives a different taste of magic... the Norse tradition is too little explored, at times; and a smattering of several interesting periods in history... Norman England, Egypt in the time of the great pharaohs.... even a visit to the Norse gods themselves. Age constraints notwithstanding... a good literature is good literature. Given the current resurgence in magic in children's literature... this deserves a reprint!!
on November 25, 2000
I read this book when I was eleven or twelve, thirty years ago, and loved it. I've been looking for it for years for my kids to read, but under the wrong title. Internet enquiries have found it for me just today, and I've ordered it instantly. It is a great read - I'm only glad my two are still of an age to enjoy it, after all the searching! (They're 10 and 12.) Can't wait to read it again myself...
on July 10, 2000
I read this book when I was 7 or 8 and it had a profound affect on my future reading habits. It fostered an interest in history and in Norse Mythology and prompted me to investigate these subjects further. Young readers will be transported to many other worlds in 'The ship that Flew' and I wish them a lifetime of happy reading.
VINE VOICEon August 30, 2015
This book is very much like Five Children and It by E. Nesbit and Half Magic by Edward Eager though I liked it more. It was episodic (which isn't always my favorite), but the adventures seemed well thought out and the children protagonists were well written. I think I'd have liked this even more had I read it prior to the other two. So, this book follows a bit of a formula, but it does it with style and ingenuity (it isn't a copy or rip-off in any way). I recommend it.
on September 4, 2015
This is a new reprint of a book from my (very) distant childhood, and one I am delighted to share with my grandchildren. This is a paperback version with cheaper paper and lower quality print. The cover is better quality, with a nice, heavier glossy cardboard. That said, the book is the size of a slim hard back, so it is a convenient size to hold, and is very readable. The Ship That Flew is a wonderful story of imagination and adventure and appropriate for all ages, and I am delighted to have found a copy of it.
on October 29, 1998
a book read and reread as a growing boy [1st read age 11] a book whose story, characters and wisdom remain bright, after 30 years.
our young english hero finds a magic ship, and "must pay all he has, plus a bit more". it takes him his brother and sister to different countries, and cultures. when he learns its secrets, the ship flys them through time and to the land of its owner, Loki.
this voyage of discovery was so real to me.
this story is written in full sentences and paragrpahs, with a vocabulary that will stretch a young mind. it might even provoke a request for help with the words.
Like the other reviewer, I read and reread this as a child; first read it when I was a girl of 8. It's a wonderful book that I look forward to rereading again as an adult. The book is filled with wisdom and adventures and will be a delightful challenge for any child to read.
on September 17, 2013
They say that it is good to read to your children. My mother took this to heart. She read to her children nightly, but only if they behaved themselves that day. She would read a chapter or two and leave us with a cliffhanger, and we could not wait for the next installment! I suppose she leared that from The Arabian Nights and movie serials like Flash Gordon when she was growing up.

Out of all the stories she read to us, this was one of my favorites of all time. This, my freinds is why I like Dr. Who! Being able to travel through time and space, albeit only on Earth, but the adventures they had! Wow! I can't wait to read this myself, a half century later, with great expectations...I wonder what the film rights might cost?