Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 13 reviews
on October 2, 2012
Shalini Boland has done it again! What a wonderful tale for children. A Shirtful of Frogs is unlike anything I've ever read and it was an utter delight. I would imagine that children of any age would love this book.
As is always the case with Shalini's stories, I was completely sucked into the pages. I honestly felt like I'd been transported back in time to the era of Second World War every time I opened the pages (well, the Kindle!) and I really felt for poor little Jimmy. I wanted to give those bullies a good hiding! And that hideous woman who he lived with... my heart ached for Jimmy every time she appeared.
Once I'd finished the book and read that the tale was inspired by real life events, I was touched even more. A Shirtful of Frogs should be on every child's Christmas list this year!
Suzy Turner
YA Author
on August 20, 2014
3.5 - not a bad book and I'd probably recommend it.

I have a small, exclusive shelf on GR called "Six star" - which is my shelf for the best of the best books I have ever read. Unfortunately, after reading a "six star" book, the next book I read doesn't live up. The last book I read, The Kite Runner, was definitely a six star book - the plot and writing were brilliant, character development was superb, and the messages and themes were beautiful. Granted, A Shirtful of Frogs is a children's book, but I did not feel the writing was that quality and I felt it was a tad juvenile. There were some parts where I thought the author wrote "Jimmy" and she meant "Nathan" or vise versa....
I thought the plot and the characters could have been better developed.

I actually feel pretty bad giving this book 3 stars, and I'd probably recommend it, but it unfortunately just didn't live up to the last book I read. If the book sounds interesting to you though, definitely give it a shot.
on April 15, 2016
The way Shalini has written about the true events of someone in her life, minus Nathan of course, is fantastic. The story was really interesting to read
on January 13, 2013
Wow! what an amazing book. I think I felt every emotion possible reading this. Jimmy is such a spit fire, and Nathan is very protective and loving. And lets not get started on the horrible old hag.

I have so much I would like to say about the book but don't want to ruin it for anyone.

This is a must READ!!
on January 9, 2013
I would highly recommend this story for MA/YA readers (and adults like me who enjoy the occasional light read). It reminds me of Roald Dahl's stories (i.e. the monstrous evil Mrs Cribbins), but swap out the humour for drama. The characters are believable (perhaps because they're based on real people) and likeable.
Give this book a go.
on September 22, 2012
I enjoyed this book very much. I've heard and read about the bombing of London and children being sent to the countryside by their parents to save them but never thought about the possibility of them be mistreated. My heart really went out to this boy. I was happy about the ending but thought it would have been better if the child had come back as an old man to see the boy that helped him.
on December 21, 2012
I am a huge fan of time travel stories and this is a fantastic one. I was captivated by sweet Jimmy and the rest of his family. Nathan's devotion really was impressive for a boy his age.