Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 78 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 109 reviews
on June 14, 2010
This is an excellent book from the beginner to the advanced. I was surprised that it turned out to be as excellent as it was. While this book does assume you have some experience drawing (That you have attempted to draw people before, even if they turned out awful). It gives you pointers and things to keep in mind when attempting to draw them. Don't skimp on the practicing, as it does work!

The best section by far is the detail spent on clothing. I, myself, have a lot of problems drawing clothes and this book gave me an excellent idea of how clothing should look, lay, and work with the character.

I found that with this book and Girl to Grrrl manga by Colleen Doran, that all my other how to draw manga books make a bit more sense as well as become easier to understand. Girl to Grrl manga and Shojo Fashion break down the basics to help you understand how draw not only the basic character, but facial expressions, as well as different styles. They also focus on body structure and proportion, which nessc. for any beginning artist.
on April 20, 2012
I wouldn't recommend this book to someone who is trying to move from stick figures to anime. This book is for someone that can already draw at at least a basic level.

One thing that I love about this book is that I have been looking for a how-to FOREVER on how to draw more "realistic" anime/cartoon. Every time I look around or ask threads, people tell me the same thing, that there is not such thing as realistic anime and that I just should learn how to draw real people and make them cartoony.

But this book is perfect for what -I- was looking for. The figures are well proportioned and the faces a real enough. The folds of the clothing are more more advanced than typical cartoon anime like Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh. If you like the character styles of The Boondock Saints or Avatar: The Last Airbender, this book has the style you're looking for.

There are reference pages for different face angles, hands, feet, facial features such as lips, eyes and noses, proportional figures and etcetera. The clothing is all styles, from punk to dresses, modern and old fashioned.

I really enjoy it. It's a five stars for me.
Depending on what you're looking for, it could be for you too. =)
on January 21, 2013
The cover of this book is very deceiving. At first glance you'd think it was a typical how-to book, but it's honestly a lot more than that. I'm an experienced artist so that should be kept in mind during my review. Without further ado, let's get started.

Before I get into the contents of the book itself, I'm going to do a small review on the art style. This isn't your "typical manga style" It's very unique and really fun to look at. While it might not be everyone's cup of tea, it doesn't affect how this book can teach you.

The first couple pages go over basic art supplies. It's a basic beginning to any how-to book, but this artist shows you that you don't really need any big fancy equipment to draw well. That's something that I wish a lot more books would tell you, beginning artists tend to be overwhelmed by supplies or are misled to think that better supplies make you a better artist (which is not true). This artist goes over general art supplies such as pencils, pens, recommended erasers and paper, as well as brush pens.

There are then two pages on line weight which despite being such a small section has lots of nice little tips that would REALLY help out a beginning artist and even remind some of us more experienced artists.

Following those two pages is yet another two pages with this particular artist's basic digital coloring process. A nice little addition, but not particularly an important part of this book. It felt a little like filler to me, but if nothing else, it's a cute pose reference.

Now we start getting into the actual meat of the book. It starts to loosely go over basic human anatomy (the differences between males and females, legs, hands, feet, a small body type comparison, a bit of posing, some perspective)
Then it moves on to how to draw faces, eyes, noses, mouths and ears. Then it goes over some basic expressions and their progressions. It then goes through adding hair (with a nice little braid tutorial) and some different hair colors. All very nice little bits to help add some more personality to your characters. However, this isn't what the book is about (as you can tell by the title).

Now at page 59 we start on what makes this book very unique, clothing. It starts out by teaching you about various fabric types including: stiff fabric, draping fabric, silks, short fur, long fur, corduroy, leather, vinyl, and rubber. While this isn't a big section, it does give useful tips on how to make fabric look different with the strokes of a pen or pencil. Something that any artist can learn from. It then goes over different styles of shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts, coats, and blazers. While these aren't step-by-step, they do make for good references and the artist gives little tips along the way. There's then a small step-by-step of quilted and puffy fabric that even more experienced artists can learn from.

The book now moves onto different styles of pants, shorts, skirts, and swimwear. There aren't many step-by-steps here either, but plenty of tips and references. We then move onto frilly and formal dresses (with a thrown in guide on lace that anyone can follow). Dresses are only touched on in this book, BUT in the second book there's a lot more (I'll be reviewing that book as well.)

We now move onto accessories such as hats, gloves, mittens, scarves, socks, slippers, sandals, sneakers, heels, and boots. A really nice part is that the shoes actually have step-by-step instructions. Feet and shoes are really difficult for beginning artists, and even experienced artists such as myself can struggle with these. The little tips and tricks included are very helpful. It goes over purses, bags, jewelry, and glasses next. There's even a page on drawing umbrellas (which are seen all the time in manga.)

By now we're on page 99, and nearing the end of the book. This last section goes over a few basic "stereotypical" school kids. It's a cute little addition that teaches you how to add some differences between your characters. In this section there are also a couple step-by-step guides on drawing these characters interacting. The last few pages of the book go over some perspective with backgrounds and some nice little tips on making scenes to put your now fashionable characters in.

Final Words-
This is a really fantastic book overall with plenty of great tips and absolutely amazing references. The art style is unique, and I love it, if it puts you off though, DON'T WORRY. The style does NOT hinder your ability to learn what this book is really trying to teach you.

While I do think a beginner would benefit from this book, it will NOT teach you how to draw human bodies for the most part. Start out with something more general that will break down human anatomy for you, then move onto this book to help make your characters more unique and fashionable.

This book does have a bit more female fashion than male fashion, but overall it's nothing that should turn you away from it. If you're the kind of person that struggles with giving your characters different and unique clothing, this book will help you 100%. It does not include a section for undergarments however.

I easily recommend this book for anyone's collection.
on March 7, 2017
This book has been very useful in improving my characters and what they wear!
on August 13, 2012
I'm starting to practice drawing, and I love manga/anime. When I was looking up materials, this caught my interest. After visiting bookstores near me, I found that it's much cheaper to buy this on Amazon, and it's so adorable! It has detailed personalities and settings for characters you can draw. It also have some guide on human anatomy and great showings of shading. I like the use of colors in the pictures, and the expressions certainly fit with the personalities. Love it!
on December 16, 2013
Good reference book if your child really wants to learn Manga. Not too detailed, but good balance of instruction, tips, descriptions, and finished products. Laid out for older girls - pre teen to teen I'd say. There are detailed instructions plus simple tips on each page that were helpful for my daughter. It has improved her drawing immensely - from faces to clothing and perspective.
on December 27, 2011
*If you have Prime, you can borrow this book so you can read through it before you purchase!*

This book is well written, and has a slightly humorous bent to it. It is suitable for any level of artist, including young beginners who are looking to master the basics of drawing the human form. There are many areas covered, such as how to draw feet, hands and other parts with better accuracy and detail. Basic descriptions of why those details matter are also covered in the book. A lot of great examples are given, such as the fundamental parts of how to make any scene or character really come alive. It encourages drawing better perspective to get more realism, as well as breaking down the scene to each section in order to make all of the details to scale. However, if you want a step by step set of instructions for everything, this book does not really offer them.

It displays well on the Kindle Touch, but looks best in a larger format, such as a tablet. For those who like to use these books as a reference, a tablet can make it easier to zoom in on a section, or see it in finer detail (or in color) when working on a particular character or scene. I have also tested it on the Kindle W/Keyboard series and it looks just "ok" - a little more dim than the Kindle Touch.

Other Notes:
The book is not terribly long, but is not as short as some of the other Manga books I have read, making it a good value for the money. That said, I do not think I would have purchased it as a paperback, but the Kindle price is just right.
on June 21, 2015
My eleven-year-old granddaughter picked this book because she is taking a course in drawing Manga. She loves Manga. This book has fabulous illustrations but also easy to follow directions for the highly stylized Manga cartooning. She also wanted it because others in her class had one.
She has already picked out her Halloween costume from the drawings. Yesterday, she accidentally spilled water on it and we spent an hour with a hair dryer going through it page by page drying them all out. More devotion that I generally show toward any book..If you have a child who likes Manga, buy this book.
on July 6, 2010
I really like this book it teaches you a lot more than just to draw manga clothes, it teaches you faces, hair and body structures not only that but it also gives tips on how to color your drawing. Im very happy that i bought this book and would recomend it to anyone who wanna become better to draw manga. Its also very good for inspiration, it inspires you to draw different types of clothes.
on March 6, 2014
I can not believe that anyone would rate this book lower than 5 stars. This book is amazing and full of useful information. The art in this book is incredible and it covers so much. The first half of this book is a basic overview of how to characters in the shojo manga style, but where this book shines is where it is meant to. The clothing. The instruction on how to draw clothing in this book is incredible. It covers different styles of clothing, textures and even character design. I love this book and I highly recommend this to anyone wanting to learn to draw and not just those interested in manga.
PS don't be fooled by this being a shojo manga drawing book. This book is great for any style of drawing.