Lyft BCA Month Beauty Ali: A Life Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now FFII_gno

Shootout At The Fantasy Factory
Format: Audio CD|Change

on January 16, 2012
I was in the tenth grade when I bought this LP at FW Woolworths for 4 bucks. It was unusual for a young boy in 1973 to be a Traffic fan, but they were my favorite band and this album changed my musical tastes forever. At first its kind of hard to get whats going on here, but the music is just addicting. I couldn't wait to get home from school so I could listen to it again. It's just a unique sound to this band and they perfected it on this collection. The bass of David Hood and the Drums of Roger Hawkins really add depth to the sound from the Low Spark album.

The title track is a rock and roll classic and the one most played off this LP. I think its the worst song on here and its a good song. "Roll Right Stones" is Traffic at their best with good horn work from Chris Wood and excellent playing from the rest of the band. Steve's vocals are top notch and to me this song isn't too long at all. It's hard to believe it is a 14 minute number. I never get tired of hearing it. "Everybody is going insane, the only thing that will sustain are the roll right stones." The keyboard and drum work at the end of this is a treat.

"Evening Blue" is my second favorite Traffic song and proves that Steve can sing the blues better than most white men. It sticks in my head for days after I hear it. "If I had a lover whose heart was true, I wouldn't be alone in this evening blue." Chris's sax brings tears to your eyes, this is a beautiful song. "Tragic Magic" is a Chris Wood jazz number, less melodic than "Glad" but more polished and an excellent try at classic jazz. Nice percussion work by Rebop and Roger.

"Sometimes I Feel So Uninspired" is my favorite Traffic song and though I prefer the version on the live "On The Road" album, this one is excellent too. This remaster is excellent and really brings out the sound of this wonderful album. I wish all remasters sounded this good and it really adds to the enjoyment of this classic song.

This is a 5 star CD all day long and at these prices a steal. I got mine 3 weeks ago and I'm sure glad I did. For less than 5 bucks with S$H and that's one dollar more than I paid for the original 4o years ago. It made that 16 year old boy happy and it still makes this 55 year old one happy. If you like Winwood or Traffic and haven't heard this one in a while, BUY IT.
on January 4, 2015
Best Traffic Album. Another collection of songs that, for me, should be played in order from start to finish as it was on vinyl. Started listening to Steve Winwood on the Blind Faith album. When Shoot Out was released I wore out the vinyl version and repurchased it in all formats as time rolled by.
on July 3, 2017
Classic Album
on November 22, 2015
It's great to reconnect with this album I love traffic's music.
on August 27, 2017
Great. A classic.
on January 31, 2006
Traffic hit a new creative stride after Mason left the band following "Last Exit". Personally I am torn, because I really do like Mason's sound, but in the end I cannot deny that it helped Traffic as a group throw caution to the wind and really venture out from the world of Brit psychedelic pop-rock into rock-jazz fusion, with the addition of Reebop Kwanku-bah on drums for a more African-oriented sound (something Santana was doing too albeit in a Latinized way). One indicator of this transition is track length, which starts to take a jump up from 3-4 minutes to 6-10 minutes with "John Barleycorn Must Die" (the first post-Mason album) and continuing here and on Low Spark, etc. On "Shootout", we find Traffic mixing it up with slow ballads like "Sometimes I Feel So Uninspired", Jazzy instrumentals like "Tragic Magic", and two great tunes which can loosely be qualified as "rock": "Shootout at the Fantasy Factory" and the album's cornerstone, "Roll Right Stones", a 13-1/2 minute ripper where Wood and Winwood bust out their improvisational chops while Winwood shows off his incredible voice. Traffic is pretty much a footnote with most folks these days, which seems a bit strange considering the more prominent solo careers some of the musicians enjoyed afterwards, even with less creative musical material (i.e., Mason, Winwood). Part of that has to do with the more keyboard-brass driven sound of the band rather than the standard guitar-dominated sound of other contemporary rock-outfits: but the guitar as a driving element probably would have hindered their fusion excursions. On a related note: another plus is listening to how quickly Winwood's ability as a guitarist was progressing (the guitar is there, but is not prominent like it was with earlier albums), as it already is a huge step up from his offerings on "Welcome to the Canteen", and offers a glimpse of what is to come with "When the Eagle Flies" and "On the Road" (where he really sounds great). A somewhat overlooked but great classic-rock album.
on August 9, 2003
Island/Universal's new remaster of Traffic's "Shootout at The Fantasy Factory" is the CD debut of the album's true original master and set of mixes as heard on the original U.S. vinyl L.P.,back when Island was an independant label,manufactured and distributed by Capitol.When Island's distribution deal with Capitol ended,Traffic submitted a revised master(used on all pre-2003 CD's),in which "(Sometimes I Feel So)Uninspired" was remixed,and "Roll Right Stones" was the subject of remixing,additional instrumental overdubbing,and editing(reducing the song from 13:40 to 11:47).Universal Music has now retrieved the original,unrevised master from Capitol,and it debuts on the May 2003 remaster.The sound quality blows away the old Mobile Fidelity Gold CD,with improved punch & clarity.Be cautioned only to buy a new(not used) copy when ordering from Amazon.Why? Because pre-2003 Island/Universal discs mistakenly state that "Roll Right Stones" is 13:40,but those CD's are made from the revised/remixed/edited album master,so those discs actually contain the 11:47 "Roll Right Stones".All of this was explained by Universal Music catalogue chief Bill Levenson in "ICE Magazine".
99 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2017
great
on December 14, 2009
The remastering on this is very good as other reviewers have noted. I have the original vinyl and had it in a stack to rip then came across it again on Amazon and decided to purchase. Roll Right Stone is "album only" in the mp3 store and this disc would simply not be right without it.
on June 1, 2017