BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 29, 2016
At first I loved this book. I felt like I was getting the hard fast rules of Data Viz in no uncertain terms. About 2/3 of the way through I hated this book. I felt like I was only getting rules of Data Viz. About 3/4 of the way through, I loved this book. I felt like I had learned the rules, so now I can break them on purpose and be able to explain the reason why.

Thank you, Stephen Few for all of your guidance and input, you make the community of Data Viz a better place.
on August 17, 2005
For someone like me, a programmer interested in creating better user interfaces, this is a really good book. I have no formal training in creating better visual displays, and this book has helped me understand decent graph layout. I've read the Tufte books, and while I really like them, they are often more qualitative than quantitative (no pun intended) in their descriptions. This book spells out how to make a good table based on the type of data, the number of fields being used, the relationship of the fields, etc. It's very hands on and very usable. My one complaint is I think he strays too far in to the cognitive aspect of how we see and understand data than he needs to given the focus of this book.
on March 11, 2016
This is a beautifully designed, easy-to-understand book that you could sit down and read straight through, or use as a textbook (it has lots of exercises), or as a reference book (very thorough and well organized). I borrowed it from the library and liked it so much I got my own copy. The examples are taken from the business world, but the principles apply equally to other kinds of writing. (I'm an editor working primarily on academic texts, and I'd recommend it unhesitatingly to clients or colleagues.) The style is engaging. The examples are easy to follow. The layout is just gorgeous. A keeper!
on August 12, 2012
Based on the Personal MBA I picked up this book with the expectation that I might learn a few tricks about making graphs and tables for reports I produce. Little did I know that this book would open my eyes to a new way of thinking about reports.

The book is laid out in a way that discusses
--The basics of building a table and graph
--The physical process of seeing and recognizing objects
--Advanced concepts behind tables and graphs.

Few admits to trying to make the book sound like a teacher speaking with a student and includes exercises. In fact the final section of the book is dedicated to testing your knowledge on several examples. They're interesting, but the book is more of a reference book and I would keep it on my desk - which would be more useful than trying to commit everything to memory.
on September 24, 2016
Few walks his talk. This is now my go-to guide for figures and tables. The book itself exemplifies the very ideas he is conveying.
I purchased this as a textbook for an organizational communication class and now question the efficacy of such a class that does not make use of this book.
on August 3, 2010
I am thoroughly enjoying reading this book and I highly recommend it to anyone who has occasion to present quantitative information.

I really like the way the author thinks about and then presents the subject matter. The book is also a delight to interact with -- it's obvious much thought went into the layout.

I spent most of a gorgeous summer weekend sitting in the yard reading this book -- it is that good :)
on June 7, 2013
It has been a pleasure to work through this book. Even this 75-year old professional learned a few tricks on making better tables and graphs. On how to show the important data - and no more. On how to convince your readers.
on May 23, 2017
Steven Few's book is a must read for anyone who needs to find a better way to turn confusing data into useful information. The book is comprehensive, readable, and shows by copious example that there is a better way to get your point across.
on January 11, 2017
I am a Graphic Designer, and I have been increasingly interested in creating Infographics. This book has been so helpful in understanding the analytical and numerical side of infographics, in a very thorough and organized way. This is now my go-to book when I start an infographic project.
on March 9, 2017
Great deep dive into visualizations. It's a text book, but one that easy to understand.