Bubble Witch Saga 3 Vehicles Review HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on March 9, 2017
I LOVE this book! I have a whole new appreciation for some of these authors. I know you'll think I'm crazy but I've never been a huge Eric Carle fan. But after reading why he made the books the way he did, I love him for it! Please read picture books to your kids, even the older ones! We push our kids to read chapter books too soon, and they miss out on a whole world of information, stories, and more in picture books!
VINE VOICEon February 23, 2013
I love reading about illustrators and their stories of how they became illustrators. This is what this book is.The author interviewed the artists and then wrote down their stories. Plus, there are examples of each illustrator's work.
on August 13, 2012
As a retired librarian/teacher, I spend much of my spare time reading to children. The teacher in me insists that I preface all stories with introductions to the author and artist. Show Me A Story is a valuable tool as well as fun to read. In the 20-question conversation with each illustrator I learn his/her style, techniques and bio--just enough for me to share with kindergartners. The book is easy to navigate because it is alphabetically arranged. There is a good index and there are lists of titles by the illustrators, source notes, and credits for illustrations and photographs. These are all placed within easy reach at the back of the book. Show Me... is well made; it has sturdy paper, strong binding, good sized type and wide margins. Nothing text "booky" about it. It's a delight.
on August 27, 2012
Looking at the mass of childrens trade books can be overwhelming for a college student, so when I found this book I saw an opportunity to organize some of my lectures around the illustrators that bring the books to life. Not surprisingly, the artists interviewed by Leonard S. Marcus cross referenced each other at times though their experiences were varied. The multicultural perspective, so important in our classrooms, was underscored by the differences in style and impressions of the different illustrators..
The individual missions of the artists focused on various facets of the craft .For examples, Mo Willems comes out of the CTW and has been trained in child development, making him aware of the needs of his audience. Others, such as Maurice Sendak, don't aim their books at children, though they comprise a huge part of his following.
As a Philadelphian I was happy to see more than one of the illustrators who have a connection to my community.
The easy to read interviews make this book a great read for every book lover. Who among us hasn't looked forward to the color illustration when turning the pages of a beloved book.
Read this book and enjoy.
on December 27, 2014
Leonard S. Marcus is invaluable to all in the children's picture book field AND others who have interest in it. Book after book by Mr. Marcus have proved most excellent!!!
on May 7, 2016
Love picture books.
on January 23, 2014
I enjoyed this so much I ordered another one as a gift.
The interviews with each author is enlightening and personal.
on June 2, 2014
Had to wait until the very end to see illustration samples. But the interviews are inspiring and fascinating peeks into the lives of famed illustrators.
on March 11, 2013
I liked the way each author was presented and appreciated their input on writing. Each is a master and often quoted by me in my classes.
on February 18, 2015
Good resource. No new information for me I thought it would similar but more current that the Reading Magic by Mem Fox