Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Shun DM0706 Classic 8-Inch Chef's Knife" and save 34% off the $175.00 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Shun DM0706 Classic 8-Inch Chef's Knife
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 8-inch chef's knife for versatile slicing, chopping, dicing, and more
- Made from VG-10 stainless steel clad with 32 layers of high-carbon stainless steel
- Patterned, layered surface; stunning look of Damascus steel with added rust resistance
- Black laminated PakkaWood D-shaped handle provides maximum comfort. Hand-sharpened 16° double-bevel blade (32° comprehensive)
- Measures approximately 12 by 2 inches; dishwasher-safe; limited lifetime warranty
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
From the manufacturer
Shun Classic Chef's Knife
This Kai Shun Chef's Knife has an 8 inch blade,and is suitable for a wide variety of culinary uses - cutting,slicing,dicing,chopping and more. ,,Crafted with precision in Japan,the Kai Shun 20cm Chef's Knife is comprised of 32 layers of the highest quality folded Damascus steel resulting in a sharper,more durable cutting edge. The process of folding the steel produces beautiful watermarks on the blade making this product as aesthetically pleasing as it is effective.
This legendary metal is a combination of VG10 Steel and SUS410 High Carbon Steel making it highly resistant to corrosion. As with all of Kai's Shun series knives,this knife utilises an ergonomically shaped and weighted handle to ensure comfort and prevent slippage. The black Pakka wood and resin coated handle offer a sophisticated and refined finish to this already impressive knife.
Compare to similar items
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Prìmo||Amazon.com||Cutlery and More||Cutlery and More|
|Blade Material||Carbon||Stainless steel||Stainless steel||steel||Steel||Stainless Damascus with SG2 Core|
|Item Weight||7.41 ounces||0.55 lb||0.6 lb||1 lb||6.5 ounces||0.52 lb|
|Material Type||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Damascus with SG2 Core|
|Size||8 Inch||8 Inch||8-Inch||8 Inch||8 Inch||8-inch blade|
From the Manufacturer
Shun Classic Cutlery
Why Buy Shun Classic:
Born of the ancient samurai-sword-making tradition and hand-finished for precision and beauty, Shun Classic is an ideal choice for anyone buying their first Japanese knife or 50th. The high-quality line of cutlery makes a worthwhile addition to any chef's arsenal of tools--it's used by professional chefs and home cooks alike. Produced in the widest variety of specialized styles, the Classic line features both traditional European blade shapes and innovative cutting-edge designs.
Shun Classic's amazingly sharp blade is famous for both edge retention and ease of sharpening. Each blade has a core of VG-10 "Super Steel" with a Pattern Damascus cladding of 32 layers of high-carbon stainless steel--16 layers on either side. While the wood grain pattern enhances the knife's beauty, it also adds durability and stain resistance, and reduces friction when cutting.
NSF certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Blade core consists of high-carbon VG-10, a Japanese super steel known for its edge retention, allowing the knives to hold their sharp edges for years.
- Blades boast a 16-degree angle, making these the sharpest knives out of the box. This is sharper than traditional European blades, which are usually sharpened to 20-22 degrees.
- Clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side for strength and flexibility. This metal is corrosion-resistant and easy to maintain.
- Damascus styling adds to the beauty of the knife while the microscopic air pockets created by the cladding process reduces friction during slicing.
- D-shaped handle fits in the palm and provides comfort and control, keeping the knife's handle secure in the hand during use.
- Available standard in D-shaped handle styles or by special order in reverse D-shaped handle styles.
- Pakkawood handles, made of resin-impregnated hardwood, are NSF Certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Produced in Seki City, Japan, the capital of samurai sword manufacturing.
- Rockwell hardness rating of 60-61 ensures that it takes and holds its incredibly sharp edge longer.
- Hand wash and dry recommended; limited lifetime warranty.
|Blade Material:||VG-10 hardened Japanese steel cutting core, clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side, for a total of 33 layers of metal.|
|Cutting angle:||16 degrees per side (comprehensive angle 32 degrees). This is sharper than European knives, ground to 20-22 degrees per side.|
|Handle Material:||PakkaWood (resin-impregnated hardwood); D-Shaped handle available in right and (by special order) left-handed versions.|
|Sharpening recommendations:||Weekly honing to maintain the blade, sharpening as needed with professional sharpener or Asian-style electric sharpener.|
Made from VG-10 stainless steel, Shun knives are specially constructed to be harder, less brittle, but also more flexible than traditional steel formulations. The VG-10 core is then clad with 16 full layers of SUS410 high-carbon stainless steel on each side, for a total of 33 layers. These layers not only protect the VG-10, they create an exquisitely-detailed surface reminiscent of Damascus or pattern-forged steel, the kind once used for Samurai swords. As a result, the knives are simply stunning to look at--much like antique Damascus knives but without their tendency to rust. As an additional benefit, the slight patterning helps slice rather than crush delicate foods and keeps cut food from sticking to the blade.
The large 8-inch blade of this Shun chef's knife makes it ideal for versatile slicing, chopping, dicing, and more. Like many Asian-style knives, the knife's handle is especially suited to smaller users. In contrast to the traditional round profile, however, Shun's are D-shaped to prevent the knife from twisting in the hand, providing extra stability and a firm grip. The handle is made from ebony-colored PakkaWood, a fused blend of hardwood veneers imbued with waterproof resin that combines the warmth and traditional look and feel of wood with the strength and durability of plastic. The offset stainless steel bolster is designed for ergonomic comfort and maximum safety, while a stainless-steel end cap provides the finishing touch. As sturdy as it is lovely, the chef's knife is officially safe to put in the dishwasher--although it's so good-looking you might find yourself hard-pressed to do so. Shun knives carry a limited lifetime warranty. --Mary Park
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The knife is also a beauty to look at ..
Worth every penny .. I would recommend it.. Perhap feel it in your hand first like many other has recommended (I did not,but it feel perfect in my hand)
i sharp it every week with an electric sharpener and the sharpe of the blade always came back really nice .
i really recomand this knife if you are a chef preping everydays . only one thing i wish i had ordered the 8inch.
The D-shaped handle fits my large hand well and the knife has an excellent balance point. The bevel on the bolster makes for a comfortable grip in your hand with little fatigue during long prep sessions. The Damascus steel looks phenomenal. I've dedicated a whole drawer just for this knife in my kitchen. You will not regret this purchase!