Shun DM0741 Classic U2 (Ultimate Utility) Knife
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and .
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 6-inch Shun Classic Ultimate Utility knife slices tomatoes, makes sandwiches, and more
- VG-10 steel core clad with 16 layers of stainless steel on each side
- Beautiful black PakkaWood handle in D-shaped profile
- Razor-sharp scalloped edge, round tip, Damascus-look ripples on blade
- Wash by hand; lifetime warranty; gift-boxed
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Compare to similar items
This item Shun DM0741 Classic U2 (Ultimate Utility) Knife
|Price||See price in cart||See price in cart||$104.95||$69.95||$99.95||$59.95|
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||GenCoDeals||GenCoDeals||BigKitchen||Amazon.com||Cutlery and More||ValueBeast Products|
|Color||Stainless Steel||Black||Stainless Steel||Metallic||Silver||Metallic|
|Item Dimensions||0.8 x 10.8 x 1.6 in||2.3 x 11.6 x 0.9 in||2.5 x 11.63 x 0.75 in||0.62 x 11.25 x 1.75 in||0.62 x 10.5 x 1.75 in||0.62 x 11 x 1 in|
From the Manufacturer
Shun Classic Cutlery
Why Buy Shun Classic:
Born of the ancient samurai-sword-making tradition and hand-finished for precision and beauty, Shun Classic is an ideal choice for anyone buying their first Japanese knife or 50th. The high-quality line of cutlery makes a worthwhile addition to any chef's arsenal of tools--it's used by professional chefs and home cooks alike. Produced in the widest variety of specialized styles, the Classic line features both traditional European blade shapes and innovative cutting-edge designs.
Shun Classic's amazingly sharp blade is famous for both edge retention and ease of sharpening. Each blade has a core of VG-10 "Super Steel" with a Pattern Damascus cladding of 32 layers of high-carbon stainless steel--16 layers on either side. While the wood grain pattern enhances the knife's beauty, it also adds durability and stain resistance, and reduces friction when cutting.
NSF certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Blade core consists of high-carbon VG-10, a Japanese super steel known for its edge retention, allowing the knives to hold their sharp edges for years.
- Blades boast a 16-degree angle, making these the sharpest knives out of the box. This is sharper than traditional European blades, which are usually sharpened to 20-22 degrees.
- Clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side for strength and flexibility. This metal is corrosion-resistant and easy to maintain.
- Damascus styling adds to the beauty of the knife while the microscopic air pockets created by the cladding process reduces friction during slicing.
- D-shaped handle fits in the palm and provides comfort and control, keeping the knife's handle secure in the hand during use.
- Available standard in D-shaped handle styles or by special order in reverse D-shaped handle styles.
- Pakkawood handles, made of resin-impregnated hardwood, are NSF Certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Produced in Seki City, Japan, the capital of samurai sword manufacturing.
- Rockwell hardness rating of 60-61 ensures that it takes and holds its incredibly sharp edge longer.
- Hand wash and dry recommended; limited lifetime warranty.
|Blade Material:||VG-10 hardened Japanese steel cutting core, clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side, for a total of 33 layers of metal.|
|Cutting angle:||16 degrees per side (comprehensive angle 32 degrees). This is sharper than European knives, ground to 20-22 degrees per side.|
|Handle Material:||PakkaWood (resin-impregnated hardwood); D-Shaped handle available in right and (by special order) left-handed versions.|
|Sharpening recommendations:||Weekly honing to maintain the blade, sharpening as needed with professional sharpener or Asian-style electric sharpener.|
The scalloped-edge, six-inch blade on this Shun Classic knife is so sharp it slices effortlessly through everything from a soft tomato to a crusty loaf of bread. Add the rounded tip for spreading mayonnaise, and the Ultimate Utility becomes the ultimate sandwich-maker that every kitchen needs. Not only does the knife work hard, it looks stunning, from the shiny black handle to the shimmering ripples on the Damascus-style blade. Already gift-boxed, this knife will be hard to give away.
Shun knives, made in Japan by KAI (Kershaw Cutlery), are quite possibly the sharpest knives on the market. The acute 16 degree angle of Shun edges won't bend or waver due to the hardness of the VG-10 steel core used in their construction. Clad with 32 layers of high-carbon stainless steel (16 on each side), the blades resist rusting and maintain their razor edge for a considerable time. The handles are made of a resin and hardwood fusion known as PakkaWood, and form a "D" or slight tear-drop profile with a side ridge that most comfortably fits a right-handed user. Covered by a lifetime warranty, Shun knives are dishwasher-safe, but are best cared for when washed and dried--carefully--by hand. --Ann Bieri
Top Customer Reviews
For anyone considering moving up to higher end knives like Shun, this is a good place to start...if you decide not to invest in a full set of great knives, this is unique enough that you won't be displacing some similar knife from another manufacturer...if you do decide to expand and acquire more traditional pieces in the Shun Classic series, the overall utility of this knife will round out any complete set nicely.
While this knife may not be an absolute necessity for the home cook, it is a great addition to anyone's quality knife collection. I think it would make a great gift to a Shun enthusiast who is missing it in their collection. If you throw a lot of parties and like to serve homemade subs to your guests, this knife will make preparation much easier.
Shun knives are well balanced and razor sharp. The thin edges can be delicate, but if you use them appropriately these knives stay sharp a long time.