Shun DM0743 Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet, 6-Inch
|Price:||$114.95 & FREE Shipping. Details|
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and .
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Japanese Gokujo knife with 6-inch blade for boning and filleting fish
- Precision-forged in Japan by renowned blade manufacturer KAI
- Blade with 33 layers of stainless steel for a rust-free Damascus look
- Comfortable D-shaped Pakkawood handle; steel end-cap; washing by hand recommended
- Measures approximately 11 by 8/9 by 1-4/5 inches; limited lifetime warranty
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Compare to similar items
This item Shun DM0743 Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet, 6-Inch
Shun TDM0774 Premier Gokujo Boning Fillet Knife, 6", Silver
Victorinox 6 Inch Curved Fibrox Pro Boning Knife with Semi-stiff Blade
Global Cromova G-21 - 6 1/4 inch, 16cm Flexible Boning Knife
Shun DM0761 Classic 7-Inch Flexible Fillet Knife
J. A Henckels International Classic 5.5-Inch Stainless Steel Boning Knife
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Chefs Corner Store||Healthy Home and Kitchen||Cuisine Plaza||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com|
|Item Dimensions||0.88 x 11 x 1.75 in||0.62 x 11.25 x 1.25 in||3.75 x 15 x 1.13 in||3.6 x 14.6 x 0.8 in||0.75 x 12 x 1.5 in||4 x 13 x 1 in|
After the catch of the day or a simple trip to the market, properly preparing fish requires the right cutting tool. This Japanese Gokujo knife by Shun features a 6-inch blade designed specifically for the task of boning and filleting fish. The knife's strong blade provides an elegantly contoured shape that makes it easy to safely and efficiently cut meat away from joints, bones, and tendons, all while maintaining the integrity of the meat. Overall, the knife measures approximately 11 by 8/9 by 1-4/5 inches.
Like other knives in Shun's Classic collection, the knife comes precision-forged in Japan by renowned blade manufacturer KAI. Its eye-catching beauty starts with a VG-10 stainless-steel blade, which features 16 layers of SUS410 high-carbon stainless steel on each side, producing a 33 layered Damascus look, but without the rusting problems associated with Damascus. The Damascus detailing not only enhances the knife's aesthetic appeal, but it also prevents morsels from sticking and reduces drag when slicing. The knife's sleek good looks continue on into its handle. Offering a D-shaped design for a comfortable grip, the unique ebony Pakkawood handle consists of a fused blend of hardwood veneers and resin to exceptionally noteworthy results. Its steel end-cap offers an attractive finishing touch, and the knife carries a limited lifetime warranty. Though dishwasher-safe, Shun recommends washing the knife by hand for best results.
From the Manufacturer
Shun Classic Cutlery
Why Buy Shun Classic:
Born of the ancient samurai-sword-making tradition and hand-finished for precision and beauty, Shun Classic is an ideal choice for anyone buying their first Japanese knife or 50th. The high-quality line of cutlery makes a worthwhile addition to any chef's arsenal of tools--it's used by professional chefs and home cooks alike. Produced in the widest variety of specialized styles, the Classic line features both traditional European blade shapes and innovative cutting-edge designs.
Shun Classic's amazingly sharp blade is famous for both edge retention and ease of sharpening. Each blade has a core of VG-10 "Super Steel" with a Pattern Damascus cladding of 32 layers of high-carbon stainless steel--16 layers on either side. While the wood grain pattern enhances the knife's beauty, it also adds durability and stain resistance, and reduces friction when cutting.
NSF certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Blade core consists of high-carbon VG-10, a Japanese super steel known for its edge retention, allowing the knives to hold their sharp edges for years.
- Blades boast a 16-degree angle, making these the sharpest knives out of the box. This is sharper than traditional European blades, which are usually sharpened to 20-22 degrees.
- Clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side for strength and flexibility. This metal is corrosion-resistant and easy to maintain.
- Damascus styling adds to the beauty of the knife while the microscopic air pockets created by the cladding process reduces friction during slicing.
- D-shaped handle fits in the palm and provides comfort and control, keeping the knife's handle secure in the hand during use.
- Available standard in D-shaped handle styles or by special order in reverse D-shaped handle styles.
- Pakkawood handles, made of resin-impregnated hardwood, are NSF Certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Produced in Seki City, Japan, the capital of samurai sword manufacturing.
- Rockwell hardness rating of 60-61 ensures that it takes and holds its incredibly sharp edge longer.
- Hand wash and dry recommended; limited lifetime warranty.
|Blade Material:||VG-10 hardened Japanese steel cutting core, clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side, for a total of 33 layers of metal.|
|Cutting angle:||16 degrees per side (comprehensive angle 32 degrees). This is sharper than European knives, ground to 20-22 degrees per side.|
|Handle Material:||PakkaWood (resin-impregnated hardwood); D-Shaped handle available in right and (by special order) left-handed versions.|
|Sharpening recommendations:||Weekly honing to maintain the blade, sharpening as needed with professional sharpener or Asian-style electric sharpener.|
Top customer reviews
Pros: Very sharp edge, metal holds the edge surprisingly good. The blade is quite sharp and holds the edge quite good, it feels like freshly sharpened carbon steel (yes that sharp), yet it holds the edge for a lot longer.
Cons: Too stiff for fillets but you'll get used to it. I can't see any other cons.
As to kitchen biz of a boning knife, this Shun just can't be beat for meat prep. The curve and taper are ergonomically ideal. It's a beautiful Damascus knife.
The curve is not just for show though. It grants the blade smooth flowing cuts among meats, probably to make up for the lack of flexibility.