Shure SFG-2 Stylus Tracking Force Gauge
- Precise, 0.05 gram increment scale measures force of stylus on record
- Prevents mistracking, excessive record and tip wear and poor sound reproduction
- For use with all Shure and other brands of turntable stylus
- Tracking force is measured with tone arm in actual playing position.
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
From the manufacturer
Shure's Highly Accurate Beam Balance
The Shure Model SFG-2 Stylus Tracking Force Gauge is a highly accurate beam balance that is designed for measuring stylus tracking forces from 0.5 to 3.0 grams in 0.05 gram increments. Its rolling bearing pin pivots are engineered for minimal friction. Each SFG-2 Tracking Force Gauge is factory calibrated.
- Ensure that your turntable is on a level surface and that its platter is level.
- Place the SFG-2 on your turntable platter so that the turn-table spindle fits into the vee notch of the SFG-2, as pictured above. For better stability, you may instead place the SFG-2 on top of an LP record. Temporarily set anti-skating controls on your turntable or tonearm to zero.
- Position the sliding weight on the SFG-2 at the tracking force that you would like to set for your tonearm (measured in grams). For forces over 1.50 grams, set the weight to half the desired force.
- Carefully lower the tonearm and cartridge so that the stylus rests in one of the grooves on the lever arm. If you dialed in the force desired, use the groove labelled “TIMES 1"; If you dialed in half the desired force, use the “TIMES 2" groove, as illustrated below.
- Carefully lift the stylus out of the groove and adjust your tonearm's counterweight to reduce or increase the tracking force as necessary. Adjust the tracking force until the white pointers, visible in the mirror, are edge to edge.
- When finished, reset any anti-skate adjustments according to your tonearm or turntable manufacturer's instructions.
Compare to similar items
This item Shure SFG-2 Stylus Tracking Force Gauge
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Amazon.com||Neoteckus||FatWyre||GJG audio||Turntable Lab||Amazon.com|
|Item Dimensions||14 x 24 x 6 in||1.69 x 3.82 x 0.79 in||4 x 22 x 6 in||2.36 x 4.72 x 0.67 in||11.97 x 11.97 x 0.08 in||2 x 3 x 2 in|
The Shure Model SFG-2 Stylus Tracking Force Gauge is a highly accurate beam balance that is designed for measuring stylus tracking forces from 0.5 to 3.0 grams in .05 gram increments. Its rolling bearing pin pivots are engineered for minimal friction. Each SFG-2 Tracking Force Gauge is factory calibrated.
Top customer reviews
The range of this gauge is any weight up to 3 grams. Unless you have a prehistoric phono cartridge (which you need to stop using!), or are using a specialty cartridge made for listening to 78s, it should fit the bill nicely.
The black body of the unit is made from a precision heavy plastic material that is extremely durable. The weight scale is metal. There is also a mirror with two white pointers. When the two pointers are aligned, the tracking force is indicated by the position of the sliding weight on the scale. It's packaged nicely with easy to follow instructions on it's use.
Some pricier digital scales are probably a bit more accurate, but when you get down to accuracy of 1/10th gram, that's splitting hairs. A highly recommended accessory for any vinyl lover.
The packaging is also good - the box is thin white paper and looks cheap as can be on the outside. However, open it and out slides a thin plastic snap case (like some electronics are sold in on shelves) embedded with a red felt-covered rest for the balance. Inexpensive, but effective for safe shipping and decent looking once received.
Most recent customer reviews
glad this is still available , lost others in moving too many times...