Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 271 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 302 reviews
on July 10, 2014
Day #30.

I think I might have lost my family and children.

I just cannot stop.
22 comments| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2016
I've been both an avid player and fan of Sid Meier's Civilization games since the early 90s -- from the block graphic original Civilization to the fourth Civilization with its cartoon-like leaders, rather it was the game-play or the soundtrack, every game has taken my breath away. Sid Meier's Civilization V on the other hand has failed to take my breath away, instead it has blown me out to orbit and into the cosmos, so far from the Earth, I can't find my way home. I am at a lost of words regarding the graphics, the soundtrack, and game-play. I waited a few years to purchase the game, as I do with all my products, so I could get the massive discount and all the bugs (if there were any) are worked out, and the wait was well worth it.

I recall some people complained in several off-site threads and YouTube that unlike the previous game, there are no wonder videos. Instead, there are vivid and well detailed, historical paintings with a quote, followed with a narration for every wonder you complete. I believe this is far better than the videos as there's a deeper and found respect for the wonders.

One thing I will point out that I enjoy is the lack of stacks, the dreaded "stacks of doom." Instead each tile is occupied by an army formation of units as seen in the Age of Empires series, and two military units may not be in the same tile, but to an adjacent, making battle strategy more effective and challenging. Oh, and then there's the ability to fire upon the enemy with either ranged units from far, or a city...that's a great addition that really impressed me.

Sid Meier's Civilization V: The Complete Edition is a game worth the money, though I was able to purchase it here for $12 and some change. To describe it further, simply research the words, "wonderful," "great," and "fantastic" in a dictionary and thesaurus, and the long list of words cannot even describe how awesome I've found this game. I do believe it's even better than its predecessors.
on September 6, 2017
This is a fun game with TONS of replay value. Fits nicely in the Civ pantheon of great games. One caveat, the first time I played it I thought it was VERY boring compared to previous Civ editions. Nobody went to war in that game, oddly. I think the level I was on was too easy. I was so unimpressed that I didn't play it again for about a year. However, when I played it again I got addicted and played it lots for 2-3 months. So that changed my mind.
on August 18, 2017
This game is a really great turn based strategy game that I found a-lot of fun. There are many ways to play the game each of them offering lots of fun and challenge, and to do them all you would have to play multiple different campaigns. The only complaint I would have about the game it it gets really repetitive when you get into later stages of the game. I found myself sitting and waiting as many as ten to fifteen turns sometimes for my structures to build which became tedious and boring, also keep in mind that between your turns you have to wait for the "computer players" to take their turns which takes more and more time as you progress through the game. I would say that even though it sometimes got boring, Civilization was a game that I had lots of fun in.
on January 6, 2016
If you're a fan of the Civilization series, love strategy games, or want a new challenge then this is a great game.
When I first got the demo of the standard Civ5 game, I was disappointed to say the least. It just felt like there was a lot of things stripped away from the older ones like Civ4. But then I saw this with all the DLC and took a chance. I am not disappointed.

Pros:
Good Graphics
This adds religion and espionage back into the game (unlike the slandered game which does not)
A good challenge, for those new to Civilization, and for long time players
Can no longer stack military units (this can either be a pro or a con, depending on your game play style)
City-states adds an interesting element to the mix
Steam workshop/mod support
Cons:
I feel like it's a little slower than Civ4 in terms of the technology progression, but that could just be me
Can no longer stack military units
Steam DRM (Digital Rights Management, basically you, and only you can play this game)

In short, I would recommend this game. It's also worthy to note that unlike Civilization 4, this does not have an in game editor. But there is a mod that can add that, if you want to cheat and give yourself a little boost or make your civilization the ultimate power in the universe! It can also be used to make a scenario on the spot or add an extra challenge, e.g. surround your one and only city with barbarians.
on December 3, 2015
This worked just as advertised. You buy the game and you get sent a digital copy through steam. Steam is the biggest distributor of games, and has a fantastic community behind it. NOTE: You cannot play this without steam, as this uses steam client to download, and verify your license. This is not in any way a standalone version.

The game itself is best played with all the DLC (which this product comes with). You have many civilizations to choose from. They each have unique playstyles and strategies. Some can win by fighting the nations in brute force, others can win with money. Certain nations are better for certain win strategies. There is quite a learning curve, but a fun time during so! Exploring all the technology you can research, and building your own order of upgrades is fun to theorycraft.

Multiplayer is even better of an experience. During multiplayer the dynamic of the game is altered. Everyone takes a turn together, rather than one by one. You can either ally with the players, or initiate war with them. My friends and I like to do 3v3 skrimishes between the human players and computer players.

I think ultimately doing some fine research through Youtube videos will allow you to feel like you made the right purchase, or alternatively tell you this game isn't for you.
on July 10, 2014
Get ready for games that will take hours or even days to finish. My first game took 10 hours to complete and I thoroughly enjoyed the challenges it presented me along the way. I don't regret purchasing this.
on November 25, 2014
I was hesitant to play this since I mostly enjoyed RTS games like Age of Mythology growing up, but Civ has its own unique appeal. There's several different ways to win, but you can also incorporate other strategies to help your main goals. For instance, you can try for a military victory, but use science and commerce to quickly build and improve your army. Similarly, you can shoot for a diplomatic victory by gaining allies with trading or by taking over smaller city-states. This sort of flexibility is what really makes Civ shine. My main complaint is there is not enough variety in game modes or in who you choose to play as. Every starting leader has different bonuses, but few really have a major impact.

The turn-based style of strategy can take time to get used to. There are turns, especially in the beginning of the game, where you have no real option other than to wait for a research project to finish or a new unit to be trained. The nice thing about this turn-based style is that you feel satisfied playing for a short amount of time. Long-term games can also be fun, especially when playing with friends. This way, the down time is easier passed.

The game has a bit of a learning curve, especially if you want to play against real people, and games can take several hours to finish. There are setting to shorten a match, but unless you are playing against the computer, expect to sink some time into a match. The game is fun, and strategy is more important than how fast you can click and move units around. Civ is a nice change of pace if you are growing tired with RTS games and looking for something a little different.
on April 2, 2016
I prefer Beyond Earth (a newer Civ game). I won't go in-depth (sorry, lazy). If you know Civ, you will probably love this. If you're new to Civ, go with Beyond Earth instead. Don't forget the Rising Tide expansion. Great graphics and gameplay for a sim/strategy/civ-building game.
on January 4, 2016
I've always loved the Civilization games. I saw this on sale for a great price and decided to give it a shot. I haven't played a game in ages. I am very pleased with the game and it plays very well most of the time. It is a HUGE download, so I set it up to download overnight while I slept. Steam was easy enough to set up and the game itself is much more involved than past editions. I've really enjoyed playing it so far and look forward to many more hours of entertainment.

The downside to this is the long download time and the fact that the game crashed once in the middle of a game which was rather annoying. I am using Windows 8 on a Gateway laptop, so not totally shocked that this game is a resource hog.