Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 111 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 117 reviews
on March 9, 2014
This review is for the "Online Game Code" purchase not the game itself.
I already owned Civ III and the Conquests expansion pack but managed to misplace the Civ III disc and was unable to re-install the game. I thought I would give the game code option a go since it was only five bucks. I was really hoping to just download the game and install it like I would if I had the disc.

Lessons learned:
- the amazon downloader software is worthless; after multiple failed installs and failed download attempts, I found a way around the downloader software (see below).
- the amazon guidance for this type of purchase is not very good.
- the game is actually supplied via Steam for which you'll need to create an account.
- each time you want to play the game you'll need to log into Steam (or just stay logged in).
- each time you exit the game you will see special offers from Steam (annoying!).

Here are the instructions that I finally found that enabled me to download and play the game:
If you already have a Steam account, please do the following:

Log into your Steam account on the Steam client
In the lower left corner, click “Add A Game...”
Select “Activate a Product on Steam…”
Click “Next…” on the product activation information screen
Click “I Agree…” on the product EULA screen
Enter the product code delivered in your Amazon ‘Your Games & Software Library’; click Next
The game is now ready to download directly from Steam

If you do not already have a Steam account and/or client, please do the following:

In your browser, go to [...]
In the upper left of your window, locate the green “Install Steam” icon; click here
Follow instructions to download and install Steam client
Follow client instructions to create a new account or log into an existing account
Once your account is activated, log into your Steam account on the Steam client
In the lower left corner, click “Add A Game...”
Select “Activate a Product on Steam…”
Click “Next…” on the product activation information screen
Click “I Agree…” on the product EULA screen
The game is now ready to download directly from Steam
on October 6, 2015
It was a great game in it's time, remembered it better than what it was but that's on me. Actually had a computer breakdown, to my surprise and old computer still worked, The internet was very slow, but I was able to read and send mail. Started playing Civilization II.and really enjoyed it, got a new computer, down grated greatly just couldn't afford a gaming computer. So I got a refurbished HP, like it but it can't run Skyrim, it tries but just can't quite make it. So I thought I'd try Civ III, couldn't beat the price, but the game just doesn't do it for me anymore. Do play Civ IV and enjoy it. If you haven't played Civ III give it a shot it's a classic.
on August 24, 2016
We have played this game as family activity for many years. We started playing this game with teenage cousins. This game is perfect for teaching younger ones how the original civilizations started out. Playing this game we would get into more discussions and history of the civilizations! The graphics are really good and Simultaneous turns doesn't lag the computer. We have used the editor version to edit the map and challenge ourselves further in the game.
on May 19, 2017
Fun but addicting game.
on September 17, 2013
Great game, code worked. just go to steam.com or something to use it. glad they fixed whatever was the issue
on September 22, 2016
I loved this game every since I was a kid and if you are looking for a whole day to throw away, this game would take up all that time. The multiplayer options are more full proof in this recent version and better yet, playing by email is still available.
on September 12, 2016
I have been a big fan of the Civilization games since the first, and I love playing Civ IV, but I often find myself missing the simplicity of III and going back to play it for hours at a time. This game just has a unique charm that I can't shake.
on December 30, 2014
I really do like this game. Amazon made this quite easy to obtain. You will need a steam account since this is the online game code and not the actual game cd. I perfer this game over the other versions including civ 4 and 5. The game is rather simple to learn ( I did play this game when I was younger). I like that no two games are ever the same and it requires some strategic skill to master.
on August 21, 2013
Personally, I think the Civilization franchise reached its peak with the final patch of Civ3. I've played Civ4 and seen Civ5, and as far as I can tell, 2K has substituted graphical glitz and useless chrome for solid improvements in game play. I will be content to goof around with Civ3 and its various hacks until I finally beat the Sid level, which means at my current pace I'll be playing it until I die. ;)
on June 23, 2017