Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete [Online Game Code]
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM

on March 9, 2014
This review is for the "Online Game Code" purchase not the game itself.
I already owned Civ III and the Conquests expansion pack but managed to misplace the Civ III disc and was unable to re-install the game. I thought I would give the game code option a go since it was only five bucks. I was really hoping to just download the game and install it like I would if I had the disc.

Lessons learned:
- the amazon downloader software is worthless; after multiple failed installs and failed download attempts, I found a way around the downloader software (see below).
- the amazon guidance for this type of purchase is not very good.
- the game is actually supplied via Steam for which you'll need to create an account.
- each time you want to play the game you'll need to log into Steam (or just stay logged in).
- each time you exit the game you will see special offers from Steam (annoying!).

Here are the instructions that I finally found that enabled me to download and play the game:
If you already have a Steam account, please do the following:

Log into your Steam account on the Steam client
In the lower left corner, click “Add A Game...”
Select “Activate a Product on Steam…”
Click “Next…” on the product activation information screen
Click “I Agree…” on the product EULA screen
Enter the product code delivered in your Amazon ‘Your Games & Software Library’; click Next
The game is now ready to download directly from Steam

If you do not already have a Steam account and/or client, please do the following:

In your browser, go to [...]
In the upper left of your window, locate the green “Install Steam” icon; click here
Follow instructions to download and install Steam client
Follow client instructions to create a new account or log into an existing account
Once your account is activated, log into your Steam account on the Steam client
In the lower left corner, click “Add A Game...”
Select “Activate a Product on Steam…”
Click “Next…” on the product activation information screen
Click “I Agree…” on the product EULA screen
The game is now ready to download directly from Steam
on October 28, 2013
The instructions aren't clear about where to go to download the game. It is a Steam download. If you aren't a steam gamer then I wouldn't recommend purchasing this game until you have familiarized yourself with it. I already had an account, many games and the Steam software so after I figured out that was what the code was for I had no issues.
on December 25, 2015
It's a bit of a stop gap between the in depth micromanaging of Civ II, and the more user friendly gameplay of IV. It's still in 2-D, and it still has a lot of the same systems from II. But when you take the title as is, it's a fine game, and more than playable.

Since it is 2-D, it'll run on just about anything. In fact, it'd make a great tablet game. Which is weird that there isn't any real Civ games on mobile platforms, when they'd honestly be a great fit. There's Freeciv, but the interface is awful for touch screens. And I don't mean the Civ Revolution games. Since those are pretty bad and boring. Like an actual full Civ title, if not just a straight port of an earlier title.

Anyway, this is kind of the odd title in the franchise, and it was more of a stopgap rather than a real evolution of the formula. It introduced the idea of cultural victory, which was pretty overpowered compared to IV. But many of the game systems were still very much based exactly on the same systems from the second title.

The sprite work is quite good, but I wasn't sold on some of the cig in this version. Although it looks better than it did in II, it somehow looks even more dated this time around.

Overall, this is on sale for about a dollar. Which is a fine price. Especially if you have an older system that can't run IV. But it's not the best version of the Civilization formula either.
on September 17, 2013
Great game, code worked. just go to steam.com or something to use it. glad they fixed whatever was the issue
on August 21, 2013
Personally, I think the Civilization franchise reached its peak with the final patch of Civ3. I've played Civ4 and seen Civ5, and as far as I can tell, 2K has substituted graphical glitz and useless chrome for solid improvements in game play. I will be content to goof around with Civ3 and its various hacks until I finally beat the Sid level, which means at my current pace I'll be playing it until I die. ;)
on August 24, 2016
We have played this game as family activity for many years. We started playing this game with teenage cousins. This game is perfect for teaching younger ones how the original civilizations started out. Playing this game we would get into more discussions and history of the civilizations! The graphics are really good and Simultaneous turns doesn't lag the computer. We have used the editor version to edit the map and challenge ourselves further in the game.
on April 23, 2015
Have loved this game since it first came out and still prefer it to the newer games. Was not happy to buy it as a steam game but has worked out. Took some time to get it downloaded and steam setup to work offline but now I can run the game without internet just like I had the old disk.
on December 30, 2014
I really do like this game. Amazon made this quite easy to obtain. You will need a steam account since this is the online game code and not the actual game cd. I perfer this game over the other versions including civ 4 and 5. The game is rather simple to learn ( I did play this game when I was younger). I like that no two games are ever the same and it requires some strategic skill to master.
on March 17, 2015
You receive a code, with no accompanying instructions. After some searching I located the "Amazon Software Downloader" and installed it. Great! I click the link and it will download my software. Right? Wrong. AmazonGSDownloaderService Error: Execution of command 'C:\Users.....\Amazon Games & Software\SteamCodeActivationInstructions.html' failed (error193:unknown error c1)
After a little digging on my own, I located the missing file (LAZY CODING) which takes you to Steam. You must install Steam, (so why bother installing an Amazon downloader???!) and use your code. The instructions are even a bit out of date. Just lazy and poorly explained.
on October 6, 2015
It was a great game in it's time, remembered it better than what it was but that's on me. Actually had a computer breakdown, to my surprise and old computer still worked, The internet was very slow, but I was able to read and send mail. Started playing Civilization II.and really enjoyed it, got a new computer, down grated greatly just couldn't afford a gaming computer. So I got a refurbished HP, like it but it can't run Skyrim, it tries but just can't quite make it. So I thought I'd try Civ III, couldn't beat the price, but the game just doesn't do it for me anymore. Do play Civ IV and enjoy it. If you haven't played Civ III give it a shot it's a classic.