Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 111 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 156 reviews
on July 24, 2017
INGLORIOUS BASTARDS and DUNKIRK be damned. SIDE BY SIDE is pretty firmly in the camp of film is dead. This is an interesting film that shows how directors, cinematographers, and others are dealing with the complete switchover to digital filmmaking and projection. I like the implication that with each gain comes loss. As a film teacher myself, I think this film would work well in the classroom perhaps revealing some of what today's students have no idea happened before they were born and why it might be worth remembering. Reeves may not be the best host, but he largely stays out of the picture and lets other people talk. Worthwhile.
on February 28, 2016
This is a beautifully timed documentary that illustrated the difference between film and digital from the outlook of some big names in motion pictures. It being a few years old now helps to see where we were and how far we have come in this debate.
This was recommended by members of the GiantBomb website and was an eye-opening experience. It did an amazing job of showing the different pros and cons of both film and digital means. It also walks through the history of digital film making and takes a look at archival means as well. This is well worth a view for anyone who makes, watches, or loves movies.
on April 10, 2017
A great documentary that I have watched a number of times. There is always more to glean from the subjects and Keanu is an affable and interesting host.
on May 10, 2017
Intriguing topic that was well explored in this piece. Coming from photo city (Rochester, NY home of Kodak) I have a mixed opinion on photochemical vs digital. I miss the sound of the photo reels, but I love the ease of digital. I think Keanu presented an unbiased interview and asked open questions thus allowing for more of a dialogue. Thoroughly enjoyed this piece.
on December 22, 2012
Keanu Reeves produced and narrates - or questions filmmakers about the digital revolution in film making and film distribution. I generally keep up on the latest trends out of Hollywood, but I learned a lot from this documentary. The past decade has seen an explosion of digital technology involving movie making. In this documentary, the recent changes are explained, illustrated with numerous examples, and talked about by the film makers themselves. Some are gung-ho on digital, others are seeing the need to 'go along', and some want to stick to film to their dying day. All are given voice, and this film takes pains to be fair to all sides. The first 10 minutes brings everyone up to speed on how both 'real film' and digital make and store images - in a friendly, understandable way.
on April 12, 2013
Film has been the only media for making movies until the advent of digital video recording. This documentary delves into the technical differences, explains how digital recording has advanced in recent years, and interviews famous directors for their personal opinions. I wonder how long the term "filmmaking" will last once the transition to digital is complete? We still talk of "taping" a TV program, even though most of us use a DVR.

This is a must-see for every film buff...er, make that movie buff.
on July 28, 2013
Side by Side is an impressive film for the discussion of change using something most have only experienced as viewers. In many facets of life we are experiencing change from the physical to a digital process. Side by Side focuses on the art and skill of the cinematic (film-making?) entertainment industry. However, when watching this movie I thought of many other aspects of our daily lives also affected by similar transitions.

Side by Side is worth watching, reflection and discussion.
on May 17, 2017
This just proves that it's a smart thing to move along with technology rather than be a snob about it. The snobby analog vs. digital is crap too. If you put your heart into your art who the hell cares if its on digital or film.
on September 7, 2013
I liked the part of the film where they discuss storing films, whether celluloid (still perishable) or ones and zeros. Some good points are made here, and George Lucas is correct: the long-term digital storage problem *must* be solved someday.

I must say the dim bulbs who natter on about "good film" versus "bad technology" bugged me. Film technology has benefited from cutting edge research for 150 years and is insanely complex. During World War II or the Cold War, reconnaissance photographs and film were essential to the war efforts on all sides: almost as essential as the written word and much more than, say, oil painting.

Towards the end we get a good look at some of the digital film cameras that made history, if we can call the last 15 years history. The progression is quite interesting and particularly shines in this film.

One critic, again, towards the end, says the role of the tastemaker is fatally diminished by cheap digital technology. Good: we do not have "the" tastemakers but film criticism is now a popular, perennial staple in non-fiction. Martin Scorsese makes the less abrasive, and more important, point that would-be filmmakers need to educate themselves by viewing the old masterpieces, but he does not mention what kind. Camille Paglia has been ranting for 25 years on the need for art education, an education freed from the "academic junk bond kings" and I think her suggestion would do more for American (and world) art than anything else.
on March 1, 2013
Some really interesting information for new film students and or media arts folks. Loved hearing from all those that were interviewed. I was surprised at times of what some had to say about the Film/Digital changes. I know that those with lots of knowledge on the ins and outs of movie making/Film will not really get much from this but I think that they would get something out of this documentary.
I recommend it for Classes on this subject matter.
I am happy that someone actually brought this on to a forum via documentary DVD so it can bring on discussions about it.
Happy to have it in my Collection.
Of course, as a fan of Keanu, It is always exciting to me to see him when he is passionate about something and to see him really get into something that matters to him. Plus I could listen to his voice for hours.
Nice job guys on this.
Now I do have to say that I think that the case that the DVD came in could have been better quality but that is an easy fix for me. Love the extra sleeve/cover though.